VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I have some DVD's that has data over 8000MB, when i try to copy them into another DVD-DL it burn fine but when verifying data i get read error while i f i use the same media (verbatim included also Ridata) with the same DVD writer with DVD-DL with data less than 7900 i get a very good result.
    What's the cause of this?

DVD-DL with 8000+ MB = Bad disc
    DVD-DL with 7950 or less = good disc
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blank media is more prone to errors along the the edges. It is usually recommended not to burn the disc to full capacity, but leave at least a 200MB cushion. Also, DL media is less stable than SL media, especially the second layer of the DL disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is there anything i can do cause i can't reduce the size and i have some successful copies already but not all.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to find the optimum combination of a good burner, quality media, and correct burning speed for the drive/media. Using good burning software like ImgBurn is also recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, there certainly are things you can do to make your burns work. But if you do anything at all different from exactly what I tell you, you will continue to have problems a lot of the time.

1) Use ONLY Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. If for some bizarre reason you must use DVD-R DL discs instead of +R, then ONLY use Verbatim on those. If you have any other brand of DVD+R DL discs then you wasted your money on bad media.
    2) Burn ONLY with ImgBurn.
    3) Burn at a slower speed. I burn DL discs at 2.4x or 4x - no faster.

Ridata is garbage. If you want to try to salvage the Ridata discs, burn at a slower speed. You might possibly be having problems with your burner and a slower speed burn may help it. I don't put a lot of stock in verifications - either your burn worked or it didn't. If you do what I say you will get better results.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I will try that, thanks jman98.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm using for BD burning MODE1/2048 UDF 2.50 in IMGBurn
    Is it ok to use same settings for DVD+DL?
    If no what settings i should set to be able to burn both properly without changing settings each time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, your UDF version is probably not a good idea. 2.50 is for BluRay discs. Older versions of Windows such as XP and below, can't read discs using that without installing special 3rd party drivers. For data DVDs under UDF format, I'd advise sticking to 2.0x or lower. I think ImgBurn uses 2.02 if I remember correctly. If you are using XP, you should have installed Service Pack 3 for best results burning UDF discs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In imgburn click on the options tab and click on reset settings,that will you the proper burning options for dvd+dl.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Is there a universal setting for both BD and DVD+DL ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danswano View Post
    Is there a universal setting for both BD and DVD+DL ?
    Not really.

I use UDF 2.01 for DVD data discs and UDF 2.50 for BD discs. I checked - ImgBurn supports UDF 2.01 not 2.02 (don't think there is a 2.02).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is not a 2.02 standard. DVD-Video (and DVD-Audio) must use UDF 1.02 (I think you transposed the #s), but generic Data DVDs can use many more/other filesystems.

IIRC, BD expects UDF 2.50 for both BDMV & BDJ, AVCHD & generic Data Discs (though with the latter, you probably COULD use 2.60).

The OSTA.org site is the best reference for the various UDF formats, since they "manage" it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. The default settings are ISO 9660+UDF 1.02
    Are these settings okay for DVD+DL?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yup.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could try a burner that's designed to burn to the last byte and beyond. some sony/optiarc drives can overburn to 8.7GB on a 8.5GB +r dl disc. and like the others have mentioned only use verbatim +r dl datalife plus if you value what you are burning.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I set my MKV encoders for 7900 MB and I end up with about 8000 - 8100 MB, which fits perfectly on a Verbatim DL. When I set it for 8000 MB, it went over 8500 MB randomly with some encodes, making it impossible to back up on a DL disc.

You can 'overburn' a DL disc, but you risk failure.
    I've done hundreds of DLs at 8000 - 8100 MB and no problems. Imgburn would usually warn me that data wouldn't fit if the size was 8500 MB or more.

I use only Verbatim DVD + R DL discs and Imgburn. I let ImgBurn control the burning speed.
    Lately I've switched to Verbatim Blu-ray discs for backup and I can get three 8000MB files on each.
    Price per MB is for cheaper for BD than DVD DL.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I will keep that in mind for sure, thanks guys.
    Quote Quote