VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is frustrating. The solution is probably quite simple but I am foxed right now.

Under XP, I could go to tools/internet options/settings/view files and see the full content of the cache esp video files played through the browser.

In Win7 the above path is still available, the cache size(250 meg) is still big enough, but folders appear restricted in size (maybe 1 meg) and no file larger than 500k shows up. Even when I view the cache folders the 'dirty' way through Win Explorer these larger files are not there.

These files must be cached since, if I play them again, they do not reload unless I browse away.

Ideas ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did a little troubleshooting and the same thing happens here with IE11...lots of files in the temp folder but these little 1mb video files with no extension...my guess is MS saves these video's played online in increments and when you want to play them back they append each other like vob files...no single file temp file video storage...if you wanna save em just use FF and an add-on called Downthemall....sees every file on the page and will grab what you want
    Quote Quote  
  3. In the Temporary Internet Files folder there is a hidden folder named Content.IE5. That folder doesn't show up in Explorer even if you have it set to show hidden and system files. When you're at Temporary Internet Files in Explorer you can manually add Content.IE5 in the address bar to access that folder. You can also see the files and get there via the CLI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	content.png
Views:	177
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	24287

And yes, some sites split videos up into little pieces so you will often see many small files, not just one big video file.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Mar 2014 at 08:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I could see the content.IE5 folder and all the real cache folders inside that.

The odd thing is that the video file I refer to would store complete in XP and IE8 (?) whereas in IE11 it is not there.

The price of progress I suspect.

Well a different browser is a solution (thanks !) and I suppose I can get the file using my external web recording software such as Jaksta. Would have been nice tho to get it direct in IE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The odd thing is that the video file I refer to would store complete in XP and IE8 (?) whereas in IE11 it is not there.
    It's the web site that splits the video into separate small files. Old flash players may get versions of the video than new flash players.
    Quote Quote