VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

What would be the best container and video codec for video that we want to use as In-stream Preroll? Knowing file size can't exceed 3 MB.

Also I think would be better to have aspect ratio: 16:9 and screen size of 864x486 or higher?

I think that two best options in this case would be MP4 or FLV as container and H.264 or On2 VP6 as video codec? What is your opinion?

Thank you.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When you use a term like "in-stream pre-roll", you are making a whole lot of people have to guess as to what you are really intending. That is NOT even close to a known industry standard term. The analogy to analog tape preroll is also a faulty premise: that is not how streaming works. If you are talking about seamless playlists, you are pretty much out of luck. It's all in the player app, not the codec. Maybe a VJ app could do it, but otherwise, you are looking at proprietary (read $$$) broadcast/news-style apps.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you referring to a lossless intermediate codec such as Lagarith? No lossless codec will give you small file sizes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi all,

I'm intending to say what this digital format is all about. In-stream Video / Preroll is video that plays on WEB before content video we want to see. I'm referring to advertising.

Advertising In-Stream Video has specifications that's why I'm asking what would be the best specifications in terms of quality / size and to be proper viewed by users worldwide.

Publishers only accept video files to have maximum file size 3 Mb to put this brand video working as preroll, before their own content videos... that's why I need to know what would best option here.

Hope this clarifies.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Morales View Post
    Advertising In-Stream Video has specifications that's why I'm asking what would be the best specifications in terms of quality / size and to be proper viewed by users worldwide.

Publishers only accept video files to have maximum file size 3 Mb to put this brand video working as preroll, before their own content videos... that's why I need to know what would best option here.
    Your best bet would be to ask the publisher. Anyone here could only make an educated guess.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi smrpix,

Publishers accept both MP4 and FLV as containers... and can accept other containers I think.
    There are differences in terms of video codec between H.264 and On2 VP6.2 for example! That's why I'm asking for you guys which are more experienced what would be the best for this that I'm asking.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Most Publishers have spec sheets, here are two typical examples.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
    http://vimeo.com/help/compression

The codecs and containers you mention are common and fine, you'll probably find more h.264 fans here than VP6 -- but what do the folks you're providing material for actually want?

If you're asking for specific bitrates and settings, that is very dependent on the material -- the amount of movement, raster size, framerate and duration.
    Last edited by smrpix; 27th Mar 2014 at 09:08.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A good h.264 encoder used properly will yield better compression ratio - thus better quality at a given filesize . VP6 is prone to macroblocking

The only reason these days to use VP6, is to use VP6A which supports alpha channel (for transparency). (eg. have you seen those ads where people walk onto the webpage , but the background is transparent so you can see the webpage around the person?) If you don't need that, use h.264

The container usually doesn't matter , but FLV is better suited for real time streaming. For some reason, MP4 can have minor latency and seek issues with some applications. If you're using progressive HTTP download, it doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Uugghh! Wouldn't you know it was ADVERTISERS who would come up with those phrases. Marketing sure loves to throw around technical terms in non-technical ways...

GLOSSARY:
    "In-Stream" = In a video playlist (see next 3 time options)
    "PreRoll" = Intro/Header (prior to main program)
    "MidRoll" = Intermission (cutting in middle of main program)
    "PostRoll" = Outro/Trailer/Footer (after main program)
    "Linear" = One of the 3 above, IOW the same as "In-stream"
    "Non-Linear" = As an Overlay on top (or around) of the main program, aka a Bug or Super

<RANT>
    God, why can't they just use the terms we have already have been using (for years)?!! This just muddies the waters. Well, I guess I should expect as much.

I will have to amend my previous vitriol and at least state that there is "some" industry that does use those terms, in a somewhat standardized way. It just irks me that ad people would co-opt a term that means one thing and pervert its meaning for their uses, instead of just finding an already existing appropriate term. I mean, if Morales had come here asking "What would be the best container and video codec for video that we want to use as an Intro ad in a web playlist?", I would bet that EVERYONE (non-newbie) would be able to follow along and participate.
    </RANT>

As has been mentioned, you need to work your way backwards:
    1. Go to the publisher of the ads and get their usage/submission guidelines specs. Here is an example: http://www.iab.net/media/file/IAB-Video-Ad-Format-Standards.pdf
    They will either be very loose (where they will transcode whatever you give them to fit their setup), or fairly tight (where they do NOT transcode, and expect the file to already be in a compatible, finished form).

Choice of codec will vary (when guidelines give options), but you want the most efficient (which usually means h.264, but could be On2VP8, etc). This is of course highly dependent uoon what your content is - you could have an animation that has extremely limited palette and be able to use a number of codecs that work specifically with such. For container, you would best go with Video Industry standards: MPG (PS or TS), MP4, possibly MOV, FLV, maybe even WMV (particularly for Silverlight player). AVI seems to not be common among source formats for advertisers, and MKV, by nature of its OpenSource origins, is not looked upon as professional enough (even though it is more than capable).

Some publishers have that 3MB file limit, not all. It seems to vary greatly, even just from 15 minutes of doing a search...IIWY, I'd create my master in HD (and in 16:9) using a lossless codec & standard container (AVI?). Then, as per specific guidelines, make targeted output variations that follow those specifics. Which might mean you have 6-8 different sizes, 4:3 as well as 16:9 (where you might need to re-adjust the layout to fit the AR change, and 6-8 different codec/container combinations - for each ad.

This is where batch encoder/transcoders with template capability come in really handy. As usual, you should be using the standard formula:
    Code:
    Filesize = Bitrate * RunningTime
    Scott
    (bet you can guess I don't do advertising stuff!, not counting full commercials or trailers)
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 27th Mar 2014 at 11:50.
    Quote Quote