VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD software and cable w/video capture USB. It does not work with my new laptop running Windows 8 and I can't get a straight answer from Roxio. So my question is, can I get Roxios VHS to DVD 3 Plus upgrade and still use the same Video Capture USB on Windows 8, or is there another software download that will work with the cable and Video Capture USB that I have from Roxio. I hate to have to go buy a whole new setup, when I already paid for it once.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well. According to Roxio, the program does work with Win8.

If you can not get it to work it is quite possible that you have not followed the installation instructions precisely. Often, you have to install the drivers BEFORE you plug in the unit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jimshoo View Post
    I have the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD software and cable w/video capture USB. It does not work with my new laptop .......
    Your "new" laptop. There you go.

It is pretty likely that your new laptop with its new software installation does not include the current driver that you need in order for the roxio product to work.

Go to the roxio website and download the newest windows 8 driver. After you install it, restart your computer and then plug in the roxio USB device.

TC
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for responding DB83 and TC. According to Roxio, the Easy VHS to DVD software is not compatible with Windows 8, nor is the Video Capture USB. Roxio does have an upgrade software that's compatible with Windows 8 called VHS to DVD Plus 3, but they're telling me I have to have the new cable with the Video Capture USB also. I'm not so sure I need the new cable with their new Video Capture device (The new cable and capture device are one piece that's molded together, where as the older style I have, the capture device detatches from the cable). I kind of have my doubts that the Video Capture USB device is different electronically and suspect it's a software issue, but if I need both, then I'll give my business to someone else. The Roxio worked fine before, but I don't want to waste the money on just a software upgrade if I need new hardware too.
    That's probably a longer explanation than anyone needed, but I can't get thru to their tech support and am not certain their product sales person is correct on this matter. Thank you both again though on your input.

Jimshoo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Confusion. Confusion.

One minute you say you can not get a straight answer from Roxio then you say Roxio tells you that your hardware/software does not work with Win8.

You did not make clear what version of the hardware/software you own that worked before. In fact you only mentioned V3 which lead, on a quick read, to assume that is what you actually owned and hence my initial response.

There are two items here and you appear to combine them. You must consider them separate >> Drivers and the actual Capture Software. It may well be that Roxio will not provide drivers for your current hardware and if that is the case then you have little alternative but to replace the hardware. But, before you do that, bear in mind that Roxio inevitably do not make the hardware so if you can determine the actual hardware alternative Win8 drivers could be available. But I will echo my friend's comments above. Check with the Roxio site as they would be a pretty bad outfit if they did not provide drivers for legacy products. No one should be forced to upgrade hardware when they upgrade their OS.

Have you tried running the software you currently own ? What OS did you upgrade from ? You see. The more information you provide, the more chances you have to find a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why use their capture software at all? Assuming your laptop sees the device (?), use VDub or something else.

I got some Roxio capture software with my USB capture device but I make a point of not using anything Roxio makes.
    Quote Quote