VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've recently started using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 based on a recommendation from this forum, and I'm very pleased with it, but I have a question re the quality of the output Blu Ray. I transfer .tivo files that have been unwrapped to plain MPEG2 files. In the Authoring Works software, you can choose the size of the output Blu Ray, either a target size or no target (if no target, the software shows you the expected size) or you can choose the disc size-- either 25g or 50g. I understand that quality will decrease if you choose to squeeze a larger file on to a 25g disc, but I'm curious as to whether asking to use a 50g disc for a file that would otherwise fit on a 25g disc means that your output will be higher quality. Put another way, I've been letting the software choose the size (no target) and a 2 to 3 hour movie is typically 19 to 22 gig and will fit on a 25g disc. I've noticed that if I choose to burn onto a 50g disc, the size increases to around 30g. Does this mean that the 50g disc picture quality is better? why does it choose the 19-22g in the first place if that's so? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Choosing to burn to a 50GB disc is TMPGenc's cue to increase the bitrate. All other things being equal, a higher bitrate should make for better-looking video. But the "other things" are seldom equal. IIWY, I'd create exactly the same program twice, one for 25GB and the other for 50GB BD-Rs, load them into your blu-ray player, and observe if there are big differences in quality between the two, if there are differences to begin with.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, my initial impression is that with the lower bit rate conversions I can't tell any difference from the original file, but I'll try your suggestion and see.
    Quote Quote