VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello I need a little help with a small issue I don't understand.
    I like to make my own DVD's however when I make a copy for a friend they have said it has FROZE half way through.
    However I never have this problem when watching my own.
    I am using Convert X and usually burn finished project on a low speed usually 2.4 depending on which computer i'm using onto a Verbatim disc.
    When making another copy I then run through Nero which the outcome should be an exact copy should it?
    I know the disc plays through as after Convert X I usually like to skip through chapter to chapter so I know when I playback from a DVD player should play through smoothly without any problems.
    If anyone has any know how as to where I may be going wrong please help.
    Also i'm using ARITA single layer discs so copying Verbatim to ARITA and these problems are only just arising????
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Several possible issues here, but some you can do nothing about.

1) The ONLY consistently good quality DVDs available any more are Taiyo Yuden (you must buy online) and Verbatim (avoid their cheap "Life" series, but everything else is fine that they make). I've never heard of ARITA, so that means it's probably the usual cheap garbage everyone else makes. Higher quality discs might help your friend.
    2) Your friend may have some ancient DVD player they bought 5+ years ago. We get posts from people who have DVD players over 10 years old that they still use. Older players are very fussy. Not much you can do about that. Note that if you are burning dual layer DVDs, we definitely need to know. I've seen older players that simply will not play the 2nd layer of a dual layer DVD, not even the excellent Verbatim discs. Some old players wouldn't play consumer burned dual layer DVDs at all.
    3) Your friend may have an ancient player that strongly prefers +R and you used -R discs or vice-versa.

You can try giving your friend your good Verbatim copy and see if they can play it without problems. If not, then it's probably #2. You can try to fix #1 or #3 if you think that's it by using different and better DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Arita dvds are ritek,i bought them years ago,they are average to crap in quality.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That other guy from the uk (i forget his name) was peddling a brand name over there a while back, hopefully he will send us some free samples soon. All aboard the coaster train
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    TY and Verbatim are not the only good media available. FTI/Falcon discs are very good as well. They can be found at Amazon.co.uk.

FTI also makes a 2P process DL DVD that is as good as the Verbatim, but much, much harder to find. I don't often recommend FTI/Falcon for DL discs because they also make inverse stack DL DVD's and it is not always easy to tell them apart.

Burning slow is not always the best policy, especially with modern burners and modern 16x single layer media. Burning at 8x is usually a better bet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. When I copy I usually burn on a low speed just for the pure fact I feel as although something will go wrong.
    I only use single layer discs which are verbatim 16x 4.7 DVD-R which are cheap enough and trust a lot and the Arita discs are also single layer 8x 4.7 DVD-R.
    I have read of some DVD s not playing back in some players but understand that 1 or 2 has froze which is making me think could it have been a read or burn error?
    I have been into making my own discs for a while now and just understanding what could have gone wrong as I mentioned this has only just started to happen
    I appreciate the replies I just hope someone can finalize my question so I can sort it out.
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had that problem on my computer a couple of times, re-burned the disk and it sailed straight through with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What part of "you are using crap media" do you NOT understand ??
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know,you can tell people that arita are crappy disc with the ritek MID,they come up with they own conclusions.You can burn 10 arita disc in a row and they can be playable,then the next 7 discs will give error after error,it's crap shoot on these discs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ConvertX, Nero, Arita.....what a ridiculous thread this is.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Right so from my understanding verbatim are good so all I should do is look into something better than Arita to make copies for people as that is mainly what I'm getting at.
    Appreciate the comments just don't want the criticism.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Burning slow is not always the best policy, especially with modern burners and modern 16x single layer media. Burning at 8x is usually a better bet.
    Gonna have to agree to disagree here. Slow burning (4x or less) often really does make a difference with lower quality media. I forgot to suggest that this might be a thing to try if the OP wants to use those Arita discs. When using Nero to copy, Nero defaults to burning as fast as possible so it is possible that the copy on the lower quality media was burned at a fast speed and more errors were introduced into the burn.

A few years ago I had a couple of situations where I needed to make several copies of a DVD, so to test I burned some at 4x and some at 8x and used the same burner, burning software and media (Verbatim) for them. I noticed more errors when checking the discs with Nero's disc scan on the higher speed burns. That was enough to convince me to stick to 4x for burning single layer DVD, 2.4x for dual layer. If you disagree that's fine. To each his own. I suppose I should say that I don't normally use Nero's Disc Speed tool to check my burns. I just wanted to see if burning at a faster speed made a difference and I did see more errors on the faster burns.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    There are always exceptions regarding burning speed, and it is best to do your own testing with your particular equipment and media. But the consensus of opinion over at MyCE, through thousands of user tests, is that a mid range speed is the safest bet if you don't want to go through the process of testing yourself. We generally recommend half the rated speed of the discs.

Some modern drives don't even offer 4x speed with certain media. So there are also limitations in the firmware of the drives.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even rubbish media can burn well ... I've use a pile of odd branded cheap crap and all still work today years later... its just that there's only two reliable brands ... thou verbatim is widely accessible ... ty's is like hens teeth around here.

There's still hardware incompatabilty to consider ... some burners of different brands can create what appears to be a perfectly playable disc only to find it locks up other systems or skips and freezes on home players.

It is and has always been recommended where hardware is unable to be changed to do two things.

1: Change media brand

2: Where older hardware is in use burn discs at 2x and remember not to pass the 4.3gb limit

Your friend didnt say when it freezes either.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Even rubbish media can burn well ... I've use a pile of odd branded cheap crap and all still work today years later... its just that there's only two reliable brands ... thou verbatim is widely accessible ... ty's is like hens teeth around here.

There's still hardware incompatabilty to consider ... some burners of different brands can create what appears to be a perfectly playable disc only to find it locks up other systems or skips and freezes on home players.

It is and has always been recommended where hardware is unable to be changed to do two things.

1: Change media brand

2: Where older hardware is in use burn discs at 2x and remember not to pass the 4.3gb limit

Your friend didnt say when it freezes either.
    Was half way through on 2 different discs which I have watched on my Phillips Blu-Ray Player on a Verbatim disc and had no playback issues before just seem to be having difficulty very recently as stated.
    I know on different computers the burn speed can differ which I have noticed as I have a laptop and a desktop and sometimes use the missus computer at times.
    To get more successful results I now know maybe I should think about changing media but should I also change the software I am using too ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The ONLY software you really should be using for burning in ImgBurn. Nero is OK if you burn only the following with it:
    Audio CDs
    Data Discs
    ISO images
    I wouldn't use it for copying. If your source DVDs are home made as you say then you can use ImgBurn to rip the source disc to an ISO and then burn from that. It's a 2 step process, but if it works and solves your problem, it might be worth it to you. It would be to me.

As Bjs alludes to, sometimes no matter what you do somebody somewhere will not be able to play what you burn. In such cases you can try better discs, slower burn speeds and ImgBurn and if that all fails, there may be no solution. It can happen. The only thing that is really guaranteed to work evyerwhere is commercially pressed DVDs and you probably don't want to go to that expense.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks for that jman98 and all you other guys for the comments.
    Ill try Imgburn and see where I go from there but yeah def don't wanna go into too much expense if I can help it so if the problem persists then think its definitely a media change.
    Just a little frustrating but at least I am in the right place to ask questions for people out there to be able to help
    Quote Quote  
  18. Right I have tried to use Imgburn and watch a film on a Arita disc first copying the image on "MAX" setting and burning on low.
    The outcome was fine and played through smoothly so looks like Imgburn is def the way forward for me
    Quote Quote