VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone. I'm new here to the forums and my name is Carlos Briceno. I have several questions. So here goes, First off I'd like to start with I've used a Sony Mini dv video cam for years in the past to record with, and Sony Movie Vegas Studio programs to make my home DVD movies to send to family members. It took me awhile to learn how to use the software, but once I learned how to use it, well it became quite fun. I enjoyed being able to plug in to my computer with the fire wire cable and control my Sony Mini Dv vid cam. From here I would cut the clips of film that I wanted to use, the film clips would go straight to my media files box and then I could drag them to the time line in the order I clipped them or move them around however I chose. Well now that I upgraded to a Samsung HMX H300 BN vid cam my Sony Software no longer works. It won't recognize the Samsung HD vid cam, much less allow me to control, and or cut clpis and so on. I really liked the way I was able to plug in and control the Sony Vid/cam as well as playback, pick and choose video clips I wanted to use.
    So at this point, I'm at a loss of how or what software I need to be able to do the Sports project's I enjoyed creating before, since this my new Samsung video cam uses an sd Card I don't know how to go about it. I mainly shoot my kids Wrestling matches and Burn DVD's to send to family members that don't live close by. I did do some research and saw that the Pinnacle software looks like it may do the same as my old Sony programs did, but as I said I'm just not sure since I'm working now with an SD card Video Camera.
    Sorry for the long post, and thank you for any help and advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. With this camera you just use windows to copy the files from your camera's SD card to your hard drive, and then drag and drop the media files into Vegas. Set up your project to match your source -- 720 or 1080, and edit away as you're used to.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for your Reply. I tried doing this via media transfer but it doesn't work. It will drop the sound part of the file but leaves the video portion out. I just can't figure out why. I've tried it so many times I just figured the program just isn't compatible to the new camera. It is about 9 yrs old now. I asked a friend yesterday about this. He does quite a bit of video production as his hobby, and all though he works with a Super 8 video camera and his software is just as old. He told me that he too is in the process of buying an HD vid Camera and that he would have to update his software as well. This is why I posed the question here. I don't mind buying new software, I just wanted to ask the experts here as to what they recommended based on my personal experience with the program I've used in the past. I'm trying to make the transition as easy as possible in the hopes that the learning curve isn't quite so hard.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Please specify which version if Movie Studio you're using. 9 years old may well be outdated. Also a mediainfo report on your file would be useful, or even post a short raw camera sample.

While you're at it, what are the specs of your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Please specify which version if Movie Studio you're using. 9 years old may well be outdated. Also a mediainfo report on your file would be useful, or even post a short raw camera sample.

My Software is Vegas Movie Studio + DVD, Computer (Laptop) is Toshiba Satellite C870/Processor Intel Corei3/Ram 6.00GB System Type 64 bit operating System.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Carlos Briceno View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Please specify which version if Movie Studio you're using. 9 years old may well be outdated. Also a mediainfo report on your file would be useful, or even post a short raw camera sample.

My Software is Vegas Movie Studio + DVD, Computer (Laptop) is Toshiba Satellite C870/Processor Intel Corei3/Ram 6.00GB System Type 64 bit operating System.
    Vegas Movie Studio is on version 13, so you're going to have to be more specific. Your i3 laptop may be underpowered for the task.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The Version I have says on the box (Vegas Movie Studio+dvd) nothing more. As I said I bought it over 9 yrs maybe 10 yrs ago. After doing more research I'm leaning towards the Vegas Movie 13 HD program. I have a working knowledge of the Sony programs, so hopefully the upgrade won't be that bad. But again from what I've read from poking around, the software I have won't process HD film. I appreciate your help. Thank you sir.
    Last edited by Carlos Briceno; 28th Mar 2014 at 10:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. It won't. You need to upgrade.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah that's what I thought, Thank you Scott.
    Quote Quote