VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can somebody suggest the least expensive basic editing software that will allow me to do the following . . .

Edit Sony ACVHD 1080/60p files by
    Trimming ends
    Cutting sections out
    Combining files with transitions and text overlay
    Save as new 1080/60p file

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Least expensive would be AviUtl, it's free, but you may find it difficult to learn. You could also try Vegas Platinum or Studio editions.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can start by taking a look here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-advanced
    Sony´s Movie Studio will probably work well for you it´s Vegas little brother and Vegas is very popular among several VH members, also consider Adobe Premiere Elements, others worth taking a look at could be Pinnacle Studio , Cyberlink PowerDirector , Magix Movie Edit Pro , etc You can download free trials for most of them.
    But a good NLE is only a part of it, check hardware requirements, a second HDD is recomended in all cases for your video files, a laptop is not the ideal for video editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    60p capture is great for advanced users, but may be confusing to the average Joe.

60p is twice the normal frame rate, and as such, can only be played back on 60p hardware. TV broadcast and DVD is 60i, whereas BluRay2, not BluRay1, is 60p. So right off the bat, you're not very compatible with many playback devices.

Anyone that edits video will want to be as universal as possible, and therefore will likely author to 30p. Retiming the frame rate can have unintended consequences unless you're familiar with the concepts involved.

Many of the lower end / newbie softwares try to automate things like this, so they don't include many or any of the tools needed.

Example: I mostly shoot video at 1080p60 myself, but I rarely render it at that format. But I do keep the 60p files as archive. 60p is the highest quality in consumer or prosumer video.
    Last edited by budwzr; 24th Mar 2014 at 15:49.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you, racer-x, julitomg, and budwzr. I have a Sony HX100V photo/video camera. I've never really used it for video, but I'm thinking about trying that out on a trip this summer. To my inexperienced eye, it does excellent 1080/60p and very good 1080/60i, but I can see a difference between them. When panning, things like telephone poles seem to 'vibrate' more in 60i, which is understandable. I've learned over the years that if I choose a lower quality image for convenience or to reduce storage space, a year or two later I conclude that I probably should have used the best quality available to me at the time. I can remember when a 640 x 480 image looked just fine on my 13" CRT screen. For now, I probably would just want to patch together individual video clips in an orderly way and play them from my computer to my TV via HDMI, although that too may evolve. Thanks for your input. I'll explore all the suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try VideoStudio Pro X7 for ease of use and power. It will do what you want with a smaller learning curve than something like Vegas.
    Quote Quote