VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy,

My name is Ryan and I'm a psychology research assistant. Basically, I make disabled people work out, and I record their behavior during the workouts to see how much "pain-related behavior" they exhibit.

So, the first problem I have, is that I have huge 30GB video files (I think they're Quicktime/MP4's... To be honest, I'm not sure - they play in VLC but don't have a file extension. Weird). I need to be able to cut out videos of each movement task my participants do (~5seconds each).

Now, here comes the hard part. Once I get that video, I need to be able to play it back in one-second intervals. This is so that we can analyze one seconds worth of behavior. So, we would play seconds 0-1, analyze, then 1-2, analyze... so on and so forth. I haven't been able to find a specialized program that can provide this sort of playback.

Anyways, I've crawled the internet, tried windows movie maker, and avidemux with no luck. I was wondering if you guys could point us in the right direction. If so, I'd really appreciate it .
    Quote Quote  
  2. Many media players have an A-B repeat function -- ie, repeat the segment between A (start) and B (end) markers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows PCs by default don't list known file type extensions. You can change that in 'Control Panel>Folder Options>View>Hide extensions for known file types'. Uncheck this last one. Dumb idea from MS anyway.

I suspect the file extension will be .mov. You can get more information about the videos format by dropping one into MediaInfo. It will tell us and you the actual format and help with better suggestions. Use 'Tree' view and export as text and paste the results here in this thread.

Most highly compacted video formats like that are difficult to edit, especially if you want frame accurate edits of just a few seconds. That is because only a few frames are complete frames of video. Most are just partial frames and you can't cut just anywhere you want. You have to cut on full frames (I frames or keyframes). These keyframes may be several hundred frames apart.

I doubt AVIDemux will even see a .mov file. You would need something that can read Quicktime files.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Regular old quicktime player, free from Apple, should do it. It has is a play loop function. Worst case it's $29 for QT Pro.

FWIW, I've had very little trouble loading most .movs into Avidemux -- but I've always had QT installed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FFMpeg will cut on frame if you allow it to recode for the non-I-frame as Redwudz pointed out. For analysis you might want to try http://www.coachseye.com/features . It has a lot of what you are looking for and even comes as an app for your smart phone. I use it for bowling practice and it even allows for drawing on video. Not free but worthy program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rckeller093 View Post
    Now, here comes the hard part. Once I get that video, I need to be able to play it back in one-second intervals. This is so that we can analyze one seconds worth of behavior. So, we would play seconds 0-1, analyze, then 1-2, analyze... so on and so forth. I haven't been able to find a specialized program that can provide this sort of playback.
    The reason you can't find it is because you are in the scenario I like to call "I want to do something that nobody else in the world wants to do, so why doesn't software exist that allows me to do it?" This is usually followed by absolute shock that I would dare to say something like this, followed by arguments that surely millions if not billions of human beings also want to do this very same thing, so surely such software must exist. Yet it doesn't. That is because nobody else wants to do this besides you and a small number of colleagues.

Yes, you can do looping through a million different programs, but NONE of the suggested programs are doing exactly what you want and ALL require probably a lot more effort than you and your colleagues are willing to do because nobody else wants to do what you want to do, so they've never written software to do it. What nobody is making sure that you understand is that you have to set the loop points yourself EVERY time, so I've got a feeling that this is not really what you are looking for, but if it is, then you have your solution.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vlc supports scripting in lua ... you have to write a script to meet your needs.

Its not that a player does not already exist its how you go about searching for the solution ... in this case a failure to do proper research

Scripting allows one to perform work not directly supported or lack of a specific feature ... You might find some over in the autoit forum with lua knowledge that can help you.

If your already familiar in other forms of scripting then the best place to start if you intend to stick with vlc is LUA

And welcome to the forum
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Vegas Pro can rerender out to 1fps as a video, or as a still sequence.

A better solution is to use a camera with an Intervalometer like GoPro. Canon DSLR's with Magic Lantern installed can do this too.
    Last edited by budwzr; 24th Mar 2014 at 16:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @Rckeller093, I'm curious about what you mean by "analyze". What is the time frame for this analysis portion? (You, as a human, and/or the subject)
    What is the app doing during this point? Freezing on one image? Looping through the one second over and over? Jumping to the next 1 sec segment? Overlaying images? Overlaying pointers?
    A better understanding of the whole walk-through is a good starting point to pinpointing your true needs.

My spouse has a PhD in Clinical Psych, and I helped technologically facilitate some of those research projects (media & computer-wise), so I might be able to provide some meaningful & contextual suggestions. You can PM me, if need be.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's probably easiest to render your 5 second video as separate 1 second clips. Then you can use any media player (and whatever repeat options you want) and just select which clip you want to play from Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's probably easiest to render your 5 second video as separate 1 second clips. Then you can use any media player (and whatever repeat options you want) and just select which clip you want to play from Explorer.
    Hahaha, yeah, that would be handy. Like one second chapters on a DVD.

Maybe don't need a pHd But knowing the medical "industry" only a $10,000 solution will do. Maybe we can invent that here and patent it. Call it the MotoTron or other slick name.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh, yeah. Vertical market software (like medical, legal, security) has some of the highest markup percentages around! Would that I could cash in with them, but most of those are locked with only big players with the means to obstruct free competition.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's fairly easy to create a GUI with Microsoft's built in Media Player that is controlled software wise. I doubt anyone in the medical profession would pay for it however. LOL:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Demo.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	24254
    Quote Quote