VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a documentary DVD that I am trying to convert to mkv. The documentary length is 1:24 hr
    When I try to use Handbrake or VidCoder, it converts only first 17 minutes and then quits (spits out 17 minute mkv file).
    I ripped the DVD and had VOB files only, same result.
    I merged the VOBs with vobmerge and now it rips the whole documentary but the display size turns out to be 1140 x 480.

I have no idea what is going on here. Anyone has a better clue?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Submit an activity log to the HandBrake forum: https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewforum.php?f=11

They can see what is going on with your encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What are you actually decrypting the disc with?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    The most usual mistake is to rip "the VOB files", instead of "the main movie PCG". Depending on the ripper, use the "movie mode" or "IFO mode". The result may be saved as either (minimalistic and free-of-authoring-tricks) VOB segments, or (if you use "stream processing"; preferable) elementary video and audio stream files.

There may be copy protection techniques which mess the ISO9660 file system to link to a bugged copy of IFO files to confuse simple PC rippers; good rippers will use the IFOs available in the UDF file system, which a real DVD player would read as well. Furthermore, a good DVD ripper may also detect some mastering errors and attempt to fix them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am decrypting DVD with BD DVD ISO Maker. When I imported ISO to Handbrake, it didn't recognize titles properly, so I ripped VOBs out of ISO using DVD Fab. DVD Fab recognized the titles as they were so I only selected the title of my interest and thats how I got VOBs of interest.

Since those VOBs along with IFO failed twice, I merged VOBs only using vobmerge.

@LigH.de,
    What is your choice of ripper?

If I manage to get all previous logs, I will post them on Handbrake forum as well. Thanks for the pointer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I can't tell you which, because I am afraid to get sued harder than a multi-million tax dodger.

But hech54 knows the "reference".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Really? Those in the US should be more afraid. I am not doing anything illegal because I OWN that DVD so why the heck these guys care? If they do sue me, I will say, it is my mistake that I paid for that DVD. I should have just gotten it from the web, then at least the lawsuit makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Well, DVD Decrypter disappeared because it was able to remove the Macrovision bit. Imagine. Not even for decrypting the digital CSS protection, only for ignoring one bit which is only relevant for trying to record the analog output with VHS recorders, anyway.

And in Germany, an "effective copy protection" is merely a matter of its existence, not a matter of efforts to circumvent it.

But that's not the topic here.
    __

If you did not use PGC extraction while ripping, but ripped the whole content (including IFO files), you can still extract the main movie PGC (program chain) afterwards using PGCDemux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not enough information about the DVD, and too much useless distraction from somewhere in Central Germany.
    Is this DVD even copy protected? Store bought DVD or home-made?
    ....and why didn't you just decrypt the DVD with DVDFab in the first place?
    Quote Quote