VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I use MPC-HC for watching videos in .avi and .mkv formats, if I start downloading something big that takes up HDD speed, the MPC-HC starts lagging a lot and impossible to watch, the thing is that if I use VLC for playing, it works just fine no matter what HDD usage, it looks like it just takes up the cache/HDD speed it needs. So how do I do that with MPC-HC? Cannot find any setting.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not so sure it's the cache myself.

One of the things I don't like about vlc is actually the fact that you don't have local file cache settings since 2.0 came out. I like vlc but I don't consider it a particularly fast program. I mostly use smplayer which is a front end for mplayer. In fact, I've seen linux articles where they recommended mplayer over vlc on slow systems because vlc is a slow program.

I think you might want to look at some other settings in mpchc. I didn't use it much in windows and it's not a linux program so I don't have it installed at all anymore, even on my one windows 7 partition. But there should be something. Is direct rendering turned on? Which video output module is it using?

Probably someone else has more specific ideas ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for replying, but I don't know what video output module is and where to check that direct rendering. I also don't like VLC, it's picture colors are very dull compared to MPC-HC, which shows movies in bright colors. When running MPC-HC it launches ffdshow video decoder and ffdshow audio decoder, I guess maybe settings should go there, but it has like million of buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    [nevermind]
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 23rd Mar 2014 at 07:55.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What was it El Heggunte?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    One of the things I don't like about vlc is actually the fact that you don't have local file cache settings since 2.0 came out.
    Hello!!!

I must have pointed this out at least a dozen times, yet you keep repeating the same disinformation.

VLC 2.1.2:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VLC.gif
Views:	4867
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	24236
    Quote Quote  
  7. Please people stay on topic and help maybe. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Post deleted in case it didn't contain helpful information.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd Mar 2014 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Post deleted in case it didn't contain helpful information.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi. I get this problem when BitTorrent lets say starts downloading really big file, so while it caches it first, the videos are impossible to watch on MPC-HC, meanwhile VLC works just fine. My line is 100Mbit.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't know if this will help but try increasing the Max Queue Mem setting of the built in LAV splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hey jagabo it worked! I increased it to 1024MB, no lag! Thanks.
    Quote Quote