VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    this might seem a bit weird but here is what i want a capture card for:

- play playstation 3 games in a window on my computer screen, preferably the window should be resizable
    - there should be no noticable delay/lag
    - connection over hdmi for good image quality

I know the PS3's HDMI signal is HDCP protected but does that mean a capture card wouldn't even show a picture or just that it won't be able to record it?

Would an AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite work for what i want to do with no recording, just playing on my computer screen?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If all you really want to do is run your ps3 on your PC monitor, why not just run a long enough HDMI cable? That would be the end of it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I want to be able to have all my stuff on the same screen at once. Like playing PS3 while checking stuff on the internet and watching videos or TV. I do it the same way when i play pc games.

And no, i don't want the PS3 on a different screen or on an HDMI switch or something. I want it in a window on my computer screen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jay82k View Post
    Hi,
    this might seem a bit weird but here is what i want a capture card for:

- play playstation 3 games in a window on my computer screen, preferably the window should be resizable
    - there should be no noticable delay/lag
    - connection over hdmi for good image quality

I know the PS3's HDMI signal is HDCP protected but does that mean a capture card wouldn't even show a picture or just that it won't be able to record it?

Would an AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite work for what i want to do with no recording, just playing on my computer screen?
    Capture software tends to display an error message on an otherwise blank screen when it receives an HDCP protected signal.

I know that you do not want to hear it, but just displaying the H.264 video output from the AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite is very likely introduce enough delay to make playing a game difficult. That is why most HD game capture cards include a video and audio pass-through of some kind.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can get an HDCP stripper for ~US$20. The old Avermedia AverTV HD PVR with the original drivers (or cracked drivers) can display and capture HDCP protected HDMI signals with minimal lag.

All the h.264 hardware encoder capture devices have about a half second lag between the live signal and what you see on the computer monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @jagabo is this the one? http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Definition-Analog-Capture-MTVHDDVRR/dp/B002SQE1O0
    And it would be better for what i want to do than the AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite?
    I was thinking the hardware encoder would only do the encoding when recording but not when just watching.

Also how much lag are we talking about when you say minmal? Is it noticable when playing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It might be easier just to buy a no name tablet and have that at your side while gaming. You can do email and everything else without a hitch. You can get them new under a 100.00 USD nowadays or less if you buy used.

Just something to consider.

Either that or look for a used hauppauge hdpvr1. You can use component cables and if you have at least a q6600 quad core equivalent processor its virtually lag free. There's lag on a dual core FYI.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jay82k View Post
    I was thinking the hardware encoder would only do the encoding when recording but not when just watching.
    No. The HD capture cards with hardware encoders always encode. They have to if they use a USB 2,0 interface. USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth to transmit uncompressed HD video, so there is no way to provide that instead of an H.264 stream. PCI-e cards that hardware encode don't provide the option for uncompressed video either, even if the interface has enough bandwidth for it because most people aren't prepared to use a RAID array or SSD for capture, and don't want to utilize their CPU for encoding. That is why they buy cards that hardware encode in the first place.

The Avertv HD DVR PCI-e MTVHDDVRR, which is supposed to use software that is capable of displaying video with minimal lag, uses software to encode.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Mar 2014 at 11:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As said above by users jagabo and usually_quiet, AverTV C027/727 + AmarecTV will provide your request.
    Quote Quote