VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello
    I have many films from my camcorder, it's mts files.
    So far I managed to convert it to mkv using ffmpeg.
    But I would like to cut several cam shot files and make single file in mkv container.
    Is there a program with simple gui that will do it without re-encode?
    Because it's already H.264/MPEG-4 AVC I thought there is no need to waste time to re-encode.
    Useful thing would be option to make transitions (but only transitions should be encoded the rest direct stream copy).
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're doing it backwards. You should bring your unmodified clips into a basic NLE, Vegas Movie Studio ($40) for example, make your edits and transitions, and then export as mp4. You can use a free tool like MKVToolnix or ffmpeg to remux, not re-encode into an mkv container.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for quick answer.
    I don't want to do it backwards, I only wrote so far I made mkv files.
    But for next camcorder files I want to do it from mts to mkv in one program with cutting/transitions without re-encode (I've read that it is called smart rendering).
    Will Vegas Movie Studio re-encode the material while exporting to mp4?

I've found recently this programs:
    TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4 or Smart Cutter Ps/Ts 1.8.5 - but it's paid apps while I'm looking for some free simple tool/program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All the free options will give you grief (audio sync and corrupt frames). If you're doing a lot of these mts files then you'll want to buy VideoReDo TV Suite. It will do quick stream fix which will fix any sync errors and do exact frame editing and smart render to mkv or mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The good smart renderers -- Videoredo, TMGENC Mpeg Smart Renderer -- do not do transitions. The good editors are limited in what they will smart render. Most will not smart render typical camcorder mts streams.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't understand this constant worry about re-encoding. I use Sony Studio to edit my mts files and I can see no difference in output from playing it directly from camera to HD TV (unedited) or a re-encoded edited file with transitions to MP4 and viewing it on the same HD TV. No difference to my eye at all.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. +1 for TreeTops. Done properly the difference is so small it's not worth the somersaults.
    Quote Quote