VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've seen many mkv files that have hd 720p quality and maximum video bitrate of 1200 kbps; but they have a very good quality. Some of them have only 800 kbps but they're so clear!!
    (for example, you can search "The Matrix (1999) 720p 600MB ink")

Also when I extracted the video of those MKV files (With mkvcleaver software), realized that their encodings are H264.

How can I extract my videos as such quality and size?

I use EDIUS 6, and when i extract my videos as mp4 h264 720p, with bitrate of 1000 kbps the quality would be TERRIBLE! (even in multipass mode), and with bitrate of 5500 kbps, the quality would be normal, not as good as mkv videos!

I Also used some video convertors (like Xilisoft) to create mkv files; but they reduced the size and quality as EDIUS did...

For an MKV video:
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) = 0.200
    (about 600MB for 2 hours)

For my extracted video with a normal quality:
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) = 0.036
    (5.5 times larger, more than 3GB for 2 hours)

What's the solution?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is your video source? It's easier to get good quality from HIGH quality sources like blu-ray.

I guess many uses for example megui with some custom low bitrate x264 presets.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by reza55n View Post
    What's the solution?
    For home video?
    Camcorder with shallow depth of field, using tripod a lot, proper lighting, perhaps to denoise it before encoding and compressions could be many times more efficient ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    What is your video source? It's easier to get good quality from HIGH quality sources like blu-ray...
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    For home video?
    Camcorder with shallow depth of field ... could be many times more efficient ...
    Thanks friends, but my problem is not the source at all: Even when i imported those high-quality MKV videos into my edius timeline and exported as h264 mp4 720p 1000 kbps, the quality became so terrible that couldn't be compared with the original video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by reza55n View Post

Thanks friends, but my problem is not the source at all: Even when i imported those high-quality MKV videos into my edius timeline and exported as h264 mp4 720p 1000 kbps, the quality became so terrible that couldn't be compared with the original video.
    Yes but... YOUR source in this case is a highly compressed 720p mp4 which you are further decompressing and re compressing, THEIRS was almost certainly better to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks all, I found the main reason:

EDIUS and almost ALL video converting softwares don't have the very simple "Max Bitrate" option! and set it equal to "Target Bitrate" automatically! It means you must set bitrate up to 6000 for all simple, stable or empty scenes, instead of 800 for simple or empty scenes and up to 20000 (Max bitrate) for moving and complex scenes!

But premiere does, and you can change max bitrate very simply...
    Quote Quote  
  7. What you are looking for is 2pass Variable Bitrate Encoding, VBR. You can set average bitrate (1000) and max bitrate also or min bitrate. Hard to believe that Edius does not have 2pass VBR.

What you have described is Constant Bitrate encoding, CBR.

1pass VBR modes does not work as good as 2pass VBR.
    Quote Quote