VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am new to ripping and am using "The Wolverine" as my test. I am having an issue with the subtitles. I have ripped the movie twice now, once with hand break and once with makemkv, but the subtitles will not show up. How can I get an exact copy of the movie?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to give more information,do they not show up playing on your computer using which player or not on your tv using a blu-ray player or streaming with dlna etc...
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    it shows up fine using the dvd. I used handbreak to make an MP4 file then WesterDigital to play it on my tv. The subtitles don't show on any method i use to play it (computer or tv). Sorry, like i said i am new and not sure how to describe it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you selecting the subtitle track in handbrake?

But not all TVs supports built in subtitles. You can try extract the sub to a srt from the dvd with subtitle edit. Then use it as an external subtitle, like video.mp4 and video.srt.

Or burn in the subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake is rather infamous for all kinds of subtitle problems so I'm not surprised at all that you are having problems.

In general SRT format subtitles are well supported by WDTV models and just work but other formats may or may not work all that well, even if the WDTV claims to support them. Note that there are a lot of incompatible subtitle formats called SUB and if you are using one of those it simply may be a type of SUB that WDTV doesn't support. The only SUB format I've ever heard of them supporting in reality is a text based one, which is usually not what people have when they have SUB format subtitles. Converting to SRT is usually necessary and worth the trouble to make the WDTV happy. Baldrick has suggested one way of getting SRT subtitles.

If you are trying to use a language for the subtitles other than English, that can cause some playback devices to have problems, so we would need to know that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you using the "burn-in" option for the subtitles with Handbrake?
    I don't use Handbrake myself, but when re-encoding I always hard-code subtitles, or encode them as part of the picture, or "burn them in" in Handbrake-speak. Once they're part of the picture there's no way they can't display. The downside though, is obviously they can't be disabled.

If you're using the burn-in option but it's not working that'd be a Handbrake problem I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Once you've ripped with MakeMkv you can use DVDx 4.1 (FREE converter features) to play the .MKV video file, selecting subtitles you want and then create a new video file (AVI, MP4 etc).

I wrote a tuto for this:
    http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/4.1/docs/recode-dvd-or-bluray-rip.php

Hope this helps,
    Quote Quote