VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm a relative newbie to video editing and encoding, but I wanted to burn a 1920x816 video to a DVD in AVCHD format. I found out I needed to put it in a compliant resolution, so I used UncropMKV to uncrop the video to 1920x1080, but the unfortunately the resulting video had significant ghosting during high-movement scenes, to the point where it's noticeable during regular playback, and especially so when the video is paused. My settings were as follows:

---AviSynth---
    Crop T/B - 0
    Resize - 1920x816 (none)
    Uncrop to - 1920x1080
    Change fps - 23.976 (which was the same as source, but I set it just in case, out of habit from using Handbrake)
    Sharpen - 0
    Trim at frame - (last frame of the video)

---x264 settings---
    I left all of these at their default values.
    Bitrate - 2762
    Ref. frames - 3
    B-frames - 3
    Level - 4.1

---Settings tab at the bottom---
    Quality - 2 pass VHQ (which I assumed would give the highest quality result)

I can say for a fact the source video did not have the ghosting and I have no idea why uncropMKV would have caused it seeing as I have done some searching around and haven't found anyone else who had the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What you're seeing is mosquito noise which is produced by too low of a bitrate which isn't the fault of uncropmkv,use a higher bitrate of at least 8000.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What you're seeing is mosquito noise which is produced by too low of a bitrate which isn't the fault of uncropmkv,use a higher bitrate of at least 8000.
    Okay, thanks for the reply. I'll give an encode a shot with an 8000 bitrate, but will that dramatically increase the file size? The source video in question is 3.51 GB large, and I really want to keep it under 7.53 GB so it can be burned on a DVD DL. And what is mosquito noise, exactly? I did a Google search and it was explained as a video artifact similar to bad JPEG compression. The ghosting I am experiencing is similar to this:

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1682189/stack.jpg

only even worse. Would the bitrate change still help that? Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The ghosting looks like interlacing issues,post a mediainfo txt to see what video it is.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote