VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    What program out there actually does this and does a good job of it?
    I know it exists as I have seen webrips on usenet that look as good as the original.
    I've been buying shows on Amazon but I don't want to have to use there unbox software to watch them.
    I have a dedicate HTPC with XBMC and this is how I view 95% of everything I watch.

    I've tried Aimersoft... it works but crap quality.
    I emailed them about it and they told me to try their 'Iskysoft Video Converter Ultimate' as it does a better job... first of all if you have software that works for this why would you make a crappy and a good version Second... I tried it (trial) and it is only outputting the audio.

    So, like I said I've seen the results so the software has to exist... anyone know what it is?
    I searched for hours and only found countless programs that are all obviously made by aimersoft/iskysoft but with different skins.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    What program out there actually does this and does a good job of it?
    I know it exists as I have seen webrips on usenet that look as good as the original.
    I've been buying shows on Amazon but I don't want to have to use there unbox software to watch them.
    I have a dedicate HTPC with XBMC and this is how I view 95% of everything I watch.

    I've tried Aimersoft... it works but crap quality.
    I emailed them about it and they told me to try their 'Iskysoft Video Converter Ultimate' as it does a better job... first of all if you have software that works for this why would you make a crappy and a good version Second... I tried it (trial) and it is only outputting the audio.

    So, like I said I've seen the results so the software has to exist... anyone know what it is?
    I searched for hours and only found countless programs that are all obviously made by aimersoft/iskysoft but with different skins.
    Last I read anything about it Amazon is using Microsoft's Silverlight Encryptyion". If there is software that "breaks" Amazon's DRM, nobody is talking about it.

    My guess is that there actually is nothing that can break it, and all the warez you see were obtained in some other way, probably using better screen recorders than the ones you tried or HD capture devices.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    I know it exists as I have seen webrips on usenet that look as good as the original.
    Probably captured from Amazon's Instant Prime streaming video service.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Location: Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Silverlight encryption is fiendishly clever because it encrypts the audio and video separately. I've never heard of a program that can remove the encryption. The only thing I've ever heard of working is to use a commercial streaming media capture program that records the video as it plays on your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the media capture programs are what people are using that post these files. I can assure you that aimersoft media converter works removing the DRM as I have used it but that quality is unacceptable for me.
    Perhaps I will try one of the capture programs.... will have to research as I've never used one.

    What I will not do is pay for videos that I can't just play where ever I want.... Hell if you buy a season of a tv show in HD it will cost double the price of the Bluray when it comes out... I will simply wait for the physical media to be released that I know I can rip and play in XBMC.

    I understand why they do the whole DRM thing but it sucks for someone who is actually willing to pay for the shows and wants to use them their own way.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Maybe the media capture programs are what people are using that post these files. I can assure you that aimersoft media converter works removing the DRM as I have used it but that quality is unacceptable for me.
    Perhaps I will try one of the capture programs.... will have to research as I've never used one.

    What I will not do is pay for videos that I can't just play where ever I want.... Hell if you buy a season of a tv show in HD it will cost double the price of the Bluray when it comes out... I will simply wait for the physical media to be released that I know I can rip and play in XBMC.

    I understand why they do the whole DRM thing but it sucks for someone who is actually willing to pay for the shows and wants to use them their own way.
    If aimersoft's software were simply removing the DRM, don't you think the quality would be identical to the original like DVD rip, not significantly worse?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If aimersoft's software were simply removing the DRM, don't you think the quality would be identical to the original like DVD rip, not significantly worse?
    Ok, maybe I worded that wrong. I guess it does not actually remove the DRM... I don't know the technical details but what I really meant was that I don't think it is relying on screen capture... but I could be wrong there as well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If aimersoft's software were simply removing the DRM, don't you think the quality would be identical to the original like DVD rip, not significantly worse?
    Ok, maybe I worded that wrong. I guess it does not actually remove the DRM... I don't know the technical details but what I really meant was that I don't think it is relying on screen capture... but I could be wrong there as well.
    I read a comment here from the user SilenceIsGolden that seems like a reasonable explanation for what Aimersoft DRM Media Converter does
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't think it is relying on screen capture... but I could be wrong there as well.
    but you probably are wrong. as jman98 said, this form of encryp is not yet resolved unless that capture product is licensed to do so in some way. but nobody has talked about that so i guess that is not the case. it is more than likely that the sw is screen capturing it.

    what is the minimum screen size of those vidoes when played inside the webpage ? it might be captguring that. there is no point in capturing a full screen source if, for instance, the display size is i.e., 640x360 (1.778 AR) and that that get stetched to your monitors/graphi cards dimension. it would be better to capture that display size, 640x360 and do your own thing to it later.

    but what i wanted to say was this, i have yet to find a screen capture program that does not miss a frame here and there. this is a hard thing to do to get this sort of transparent or flawless video. i would run some test reviews of those vidoes you say are excellent from those people who post them. in other words, i would bring them each inside a timeline (avisynth script) and review each frames constancy, making sure that are no missed frames or duplicates (due to frame missfire (or drop) ) during screen capturing. then, come back here and update us to this info. i'm not sure what frame rate streaming (or youtube) videos are in. maybe 25 fps or 30 fps. does anyone know ? and what about the frame rate on that amazon site. find out what they are using. then test those videos inside a timeline. make sure they are fluid with no missing or duplicate frames. the only way to do this test is to scrub frame by frame. don't do the first few frames because they are usually buffered somehow. its when you start getting deeper into the video when you find the glitches. this may not be what you want to do but unless you do this you will always believe that these videos are flawless, untill somene else breaks the news and discredits those mentioned videos. i have a screen capture app that i am still working on. on some of the videos that i capture, they are near perfect, in terms of missfires or duplicates. but i would not rely on it souly. i just know that it is not perfect and i know what to expect in a screen capture utility app. i think you should review those videos and update us on what you find. it may help later. good luck.

    VHELP's - Sample Clips [last: 12.29.06],
    my YouTube videos
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    what about capturing with a hdpvr2 from a settop box like a ps3 or roku or something? Do a realtime dub?

    edit - or a hdpvr 1 using component cables from a xbox 360 or ps3 unit.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet... Thanks... and that sucks

    @vhelp... I think you are over examining the situation. Frame by frame examination!!
    Seriously... here is what I generally do. Take a show like Family Guy or The Walking Dead. I don't watch them on tv. The day after the show I simply download a 1080p web rip from usenet. These videos are flawless and by that I don't mean blu ray quality I mean they look exactly like a 2gig file you would download and play from Amazon. Clear smooth with no jitters and even 5.1 sound. These files I use as temporaries and when released I'll get the dvd or bluray and rip and replace.
    On occasion and its rare an episode wont be posted or some specific shows. That is what I am downloading from Amazon.
    I know the files I've downloaded are from Amazon because they have the exact same pre/post show advertisements with them.
    So somebody somewhere knows how to do exactly what I am trying to do.

    @yoda313... I don't have any experience doing what you are saying... I did just buy a Roku3 a couple days ago... still in the package actually. Are you saying I can do what I want with this?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    @usually_quiet... Thanks... and that sucks

    SNIP

    @yoda313... I don't have any experience doing what you are saying... I did just buy a Roku3 a couple days ago... still in the package actually. Are you saying I can do what I want with this?
    @lordhutt I did a search to see when you last posted here prior to today, and it looks like that was in 2012. In case you have not been a regular lurker during that time, I just wanted you to be aware that the forum warez rules have changed since then and you probably should read them if you have not done so already. I'm sure you can understand why this website's owner is interested in avoiding legal problems if possible.

    ...and Blu-Ray ripping is about to get a lot harder. DVDFab, Slysoft, and some others that sell ripping software have experienced legal troubles of their own recently. It appears DVDFab is out of the Blu-Ray ripping business as of yesterday.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Mar 2014 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Search PM
    See next message...
    Last edited by blimey; 28th Apr 2014 at 11:41.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member fritzi93's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: U.S.
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    what about capturing with a hdpvr2 from a settop box like a ps3 or roku or something? Do a realtime dub?

    edit - or a hdpvr 1 using component cables from a xbox 360 or ps3 unit.
    I don't see why not. I can capture just fine from my Roku, but confess I've never tried it from Amazon.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet ... yeah, I haven't been around here much lately. I know this might be a touchy subject on forums but through a search I saw it being discussed before so I thought it would be ok. I'll look into what you said. I did see something in the last week or so about DVDFab... bummer.

    @blimey Well, like I said I don't know how people are doing it but they are and quite well. However, at this point it seems as though it would be more trouble than it is worth. So I will just abort this quest as it has already consumed more of my time than I wanted it to.

    I supposed I will just have to bite the bullet and use Amazons unbox for the stuff I can't currently rip... but it also looks like the Roku will play anything in my Amazon library as well so that is cool.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Well, like I said I don't know how people are doing it but they are and quite well.
    I already told you.
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    I know it exists as I have seen webrips on usenet that look as good as the original.
    Probably captured from Amazon's Instant Prime streaming video service.
    As mentioned, it can be done by way of a Roku box, the right capture card, and a cheap HDMI splitter/stripper box.
    ...but it also looks like the Roku will play anything in my Amazon library as well so that is cool.
    If you actually pay for the stuff, you might be better served subscribing to their streaming video service.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Well, like I said I don't know how people are doing it but they are and quite well.
    I already told you.

    Well, you told me 'where' they were getting it from which I already knew... the method for capture was a different story.
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    I know it exists as I have seen webrips on usenet that look as good as the original.
    Probably captured from Amazon's Instant Prime streaming video service.
    As mentioned, it can be done by way of a Roku box, the right capture card, and a cheap HDMI splitter/stripper box.

    I don't have a capture card and really don't want to go through this hassle for something that I will replace with blu ray rips in the future.
    I thought this would be as simple as running some software and walk away while it works.

    ...but it also looks like the Roku will play anything in my Amazon library as well so that is cool.
    If you actually pay for the stuff, you might be better served subscribing to their streaming video service.
    yeah, I am subscribed to some things... the whole point of all of this was so I could run my files from XBMC like I prefer.

    But like I said this is starting to consume too much of my time and not worth the effort so time to move on.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    lordhutt - have you tried playon? It can access your paid amazon account. Not sure if you can route playon to xbmc but if you are up to a little trial and error it might be worth a shot.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Well, you told me 'where' they were getting it from which I already knew...
    You knew no such thing. You thought 'they' were starting with bought and paid for Amazon videos with the Silverlight encryption and were breaking the DRM. It was only after yoda313 expanded on what I wrote, and then fritzi93, that you began to see the light.

    You can even watch Amazon Prime Instant Video through XMBC as well as your Roku. But Roku with Plex is probably an easier solution.
    Last edited by manono; 22nd Mar 2014 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Location: Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    But like I said this is starting to consume too much of my time and not worth the effort so time to move on.
    I commend you highly, sir, for figuring that out. Most people who come here never do.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Well, you told me 'where' they were getting it from which I already knew...
    You knew no such thing. You thought 'they' were starting with bought and paid for Amazon videos with the Silverlight encryption and were breaking the DRM. It was only after yoda313 expanded on what I wrote, and then fritzi93, that you began to see the light.

    You can even watch Amazon Prime Instant Video through XMBC as well as your Roku. But Roku with Plex is probably an easier solution.
    Actually all I am saying is that they were from Amazon and assume they were obtained legally as in someone purchased them. First of all you can only get 'webrips' of shows from limited sources. The particular show I was talking about is only available from Amazon AFAIK... and like I said the rips have the same previews as the ones I purchased from Amazon so that pretty much confirms it. How they made the file public is what I did not know.... at this point does any of this even matter

    And as I mentioned about 5 posts back I know the Roku can do this but my primary viewing is on XBMC....
    BUT... I am not aware of any addons for XBMC that will allow me to play my Amazon library... if this is the case then this would have been all I needed to know from the beginning... I couldn't give a shit about the DRM if I could play it in what ever player I want... are you sure about this? I've never seen any thing in XBMC that reliably play Amazon or Netflix....
    And I'm pretty sure they still don't without some web browser hack or whatever.

    <<<EDIT>>>Just did a 5 minute research on XBMC forum... there is no Amazon Prime viewing in XBMC working at the moment as far as I can tell.

    On another note... any Plex/Roku users here? and your thoughts on this option vs xbmc.
    My primary uses in order of importance would be Movie/tv library playback... Amazon/Netflix playback... music... photos

    Now not that it really means shit once you start watching a video but I really do like the flashy awesome interface of XBMC with a skin like Aeon MQ5 and extra addons like the Cinema Experience.
    Last edited by lordhutt; 22nd Mar 2014 at 17:01.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Actually all I am saying is that they were from Amazon and assume they were obtained legally as in someone purchased them.
    Someone subscribed to Amazon Prime Instant Video, quite a different thing from purchasing the DRM infested video files.
    The particular show I was talking about is only available from Amazon AFAIK
    All the Amazon shows are available on Amazon Prime Instant Video.
    ...and like I said the rips have the same previews as the ones I purchased from Amazon so that pretty much confirms it.
    Nonsense. For example, both Alpha House and Betas are available through their subscription service, complete with previews. If it can be viewed on the TV, it can be captured to the computer in the same quality. And in better quality, I would guess, than what you're buying.
    ...are you sure about this?
    Am I sure about what? That subscribing to Amazon Prime Instant Video allows you to watch the Amazon TV shows? Yes. Am I sure you can watch what you bought through XBMC? No, of course you can't do that. That you can stream Amazon Prime Instant Video through your XMBC? They have a bunch of threads over there about a plugin that can do it. I didn't read too much of them though, and I'll take your word for it the bugs aren't ironed out. I also said it's easier (much easier) to use the Roku box for this. That's what it's designed for. I can't believe you own one and haven't set it up yet. You might just ditch XBMC after you do.
    I am not aware of any addons for XBMC that will allow me to play my Amazon library
    There aren't, and I never claimed there were.
    On another note... any Plex/Roku users here?
    Me.
    and your thoughts on this option vs xbmc.
    I've never used XBMC and never will. I love the Roku3 box and with Plex I can also stream anything I like from the computer through the Roku3 and to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    @manono... we are obviously misreading the hell out of each others posts.
    So, I'll end it at that.

    Except for the XBMC thing. Yes I am 100% correct about the Amazon/Netflix issues with XBMC... but it is not the fault of the developers it is issues with the providers.
    As for never trying XBMC... that is a serious loss on your part. I've played around with the Roku some today and while I can see many things I like about it.... (even though I had to call customer service 5 minutes in to make thing work without a credit card... WTF is that BS!!) This means I could have not used my Roku without calling them unless I supplied a credit card or Paypal info!!.
    That being said it will never be a full replacement for my main home theater viewing television but I can see it as a supplement to XBMC.
    Last edited by lordhutt; 22nd Mar 2014 at 18:20.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    @manono... we are obviously misreading the hell out of each others posts.
    So, I'll end it at that.

    Except for the XBMC thing. Yes I am 100% correct about the Amazon/Netflix issues with XBMC... but it is not the fault of the developers it is issues with the providers.
    As for never trying XBMC... that is a serious loss on your part. I've played around with the Roku some today and while I can see many things I like about it.... (even though I had to call customer service 5 minutes in to make thing work without a credit card... WTF is that BS!!) This means I could have not used my Roku without calling them unless I supplied a credit card or Paypal info!!.
    That being said it will never be a full replacement for my main home theater viewing television but I can see it as a supplement to XBMC.
    I guess the Roku wants credit card or Paypal info to be available for using paid streaming services. I agree it seems odd to ask for that information up front when some people could already have existing accounts with one or more of them.

    I tried XBMC, but there was no TV service for it then, and which is what I really needed. If WMC is no longer an option someday, I'd be willing to look at it again. XBMC has improved quite a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member fritzi93's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: U.S.
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I've never used XBMC and never will. I love the Roku3 box and with Plex I can also stream anything I like from the computer through the Roku3 and to the TV.
    Dunno about XBMC, but I surely love my Rokus and don't miss cable TV one little bit, nor the cable bill. HuluPlus at 8 bucks a month pretty much replaces it.

    I have to say that your favorable mentions of Plex gave me the push to install it a week ago. Thanks for that, it's terrific. My wife especially likes it. She has an aversion to the HTPC.

    Anyway, yeah, I have the Amazon channel installed on Roku and have a free trial coming. Just haven't got around to it. Personally, for movies I prefer Blu-Rays (ripped and encoded by me), to streamed movies.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

    I guess the Roku wants credit card or Paypal info to be available for using paid streaming services. I agree it seems odd to ask for that information up front when some people could already have existing accounts with one or more of them.

    I tried XBMC, but there was no TV service for it then, and which is what I really needed. If WMC is no longer an option someday, I'd be willing to look at it again. XBMC has improved quite a bit.
    Yeah, that is what its for... so you can automatically pay for any of the services but what irritated me was that this device has many uses that will never require any additional payment.... pretty much all of mine!
    And unless I called them I could not have used my Roku 'AT ALL' unless I provided payment info.
    The representative told me this... she had to set up my Roku account herself for me. There is no way for the consumer to set up an account like this without calling in!!!
    Anyway, I still like it for what it is but that part seriously irritated me.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Location: Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Yeah, that is what its for... so you can automatically pay for any of the services but what irritated me was that this device has many uses that will never require any additional payment.... pretty much all of mine!
    And unless I called them I could not have used my Roku 'AT ALL' unless I provided payment info.
    The representative told me this... she had to set up my Roku account herself for me. There is no way for the consumer to set up an account like this without calling in!!!
    Anyway, I still like it for what it is but that part seriously irritated me.
    Perhaps there are some misunderstandings going on here. All I can tell you is that yes Roku does want a credit card, but you could always see if you have a card that can give you virtual numbers. Citibank does that. These are numbers that are good for one month only and they look like normal credit card numbers. This is for use with vendors you don't trust or don't want to know a permanent account number.

    I set up my account with Roku a few years ago and I didn't have to call anybody, but then again I provided them with a credit card number. It seems likely to me that a lot of your problems were that you didn't want to provide a credit card number. I know it sucks, but that's how Roku does things. I have never called anybody at Roku. You are quite right that this sucks as it is possible to use the service quite well without ever paying for anything, but if you give them a credit card number it was certainly possible to set up your account without a phone call and may still be possible for all I know.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    It seems likely to me that a lot of your problems were that you didn't want to provide a credit card number.
    Maybe. Or maybe he's too young to have one. Or maybe his credit is no good and he can't get one. But most likely you're right. We'd all like to fight this issue but in this day and age it's hard to register for anything that wants to sell you stuff without also providing a credit card number. Just recently I switched to DirectTV and had to provide a CC number. I have no intention of ever renting a movie or watching some MMA pay per view broadcast, but there's no escaping it, as much as we might despise it. And Roku also has my credit card number. It's no big deal but just a fact of life these days. Taking a stand against it is tilting at windmills. But maybe he had to do it that way for one reason or another. I'm surprised they let him register without a CC number and applaud them.
    ...but if you give them a credit card number it was certainly possible to set up your account without a phone call and may still be possible for all I know.
    I didn't have to call anyone to get set up and I doubt anyone does that's willing to provide a CC number.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Speaking of DRM. I bought an eBook from Amazon, I want to convert it to PDF as it's DRM protected. I have downloaded two programs, one called Calibre eBook Management that claimed it could remove DRM from Amazon ebooks, another called Epubor which also claimed it can remove the DRM from Amazon eBooks, both failed miserable. Any suggestions ?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PowerFalcon View Post
    Speaking of DRM. I bought an eBook from Amazon, I want to convert it to PDF as it's DRM protected. I have downloaded two programs, one called Calibre eBook Management that claimed it could remove DRM from Amazon ebooks, another called Epubor which also claimed it can remove the DRM from Amazon eBooks, both failed miserable. Any suggestions ?
    Sorry, I can't help you with anything Amazon but through much research I can now strip DRM from any itunes video (tv shows/ movies etc.) with zero quality loss.... and I might add with zero intention of any piracy purposes so that is Amazons loss there as I would have preferred to purchase from them.

    as for manono's last comment a few months back.... I assure my credit is spotless and I'm well beyond the age of acquiring a credit card. And it is not just a fact of life these days and it was a big deal to me. There is absolutely no reason they need a credit card number from me to use their hardware. Are you going to start giving Intel that info to use their CPU's or ASUS to use one of their MOBO's? No, I don't think so. I called Roku and handled it. If they didn't then they would have simply lost a customer. I would have blown the extra money and built a HTPC before I complied to their BS just on principle.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads