VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, so this afternoon I did a video shoot to my cat in interlace mode, and all is "ok".

And then I set the camera to make shooting in "progressive scan" but my cat results slightly jerky when he was in movement: I'm wondering if is there a possibility to reduce this effect, or if there are no alternatives. Or maybe you need a lens with mechanical shutter to reduce this effect? Thank you

ps. camera is a sony pdw-f800, but effect is the same when I'm using the sony msw-900 and sony bvw-d600 wsp
    Quote Quote  
  2. 25 fps is always jerky and flickery. Go watch any movie. The techniques you can use to minimize this are to use very slow pans, depth of field (to blur the background), long exposures (increased motion blur), low contrast (less flicker), use a tripod (less camera shake), etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. mmm, while the 24p jerky and flickery are reduced?

However also being in Europe, could I set the camera to work in 24p/NTSC instead of pal?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    25 fps is always jerky and flickery. Go watch any movie. The techniques you can use to minimize this are to use very slow pans, depth of field (to blur the background), long exposures (increased motion blur), low contrast (less flicker), use a tripod (less camera shake), etc.
    thank you jagabo

etc = adjust the shutter speed of the camera?
    Quote Quote  
  5. slow shutter speed = long exposure. Ie, 1/25 second for 25 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. and to set the camera for 24p could I set the camera to work in 24p/NTSC instead of pal?
    In PAL mode I can set only 25p or 50i

I have to use 24p or 25p?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I guess you have to set the camera to NTSC to get 24p. I see the camera also supports 1280x720 at 50p and 59.94p. Those will give you smooth video with no flicker.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @ 1270x720 50P seems interlaced, however in this mode (1270x720) the camera don't work well: detail are bad.. I think the camera have to be set @ 1920x1080

in this example http://vimeo.com/61340711 seems the 24p is working well

however is I switch to ntsc/1080 the only "P" mode available is 23.9P and 29.9P
    Quote Quote  
  9. The NTSC film frame rate 23.976 fps. The NTSC video frame rate is 29.97 fps. The latter is a little less jerky/flickery than the former.

The term "24p" is often used to refer to both true 24.000 fps and 23.976 fps.
    Quote Quote