VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    My Volvo has a surround system that supports Dolby Digital. My music DVD plays well with 5.1 surround sound.

I do not like having my DVDs laying in my car and to access them easier I would prefer to have them on a USB-stick.

Volvo supports CD-Video, DVD-Video, divx (but not divx-HD), avi and asf.

I tried Handbrake and Freemake Video Converter but I can not get them to Rip the DVDs to a format that the Volvo system reads. After that I tried Premier Elements to convert the videos into a supported format. Premier Elements can convert the video into a playable format but not to a playable format that still has the AC3 music format.

I then tried the DivX converter, but that one doesn't support AC3 either.

Anybody who knows a good solution?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake can only make mp4 and mkv. You need an older version for avi. I think it's 0.9.3, https://www.videohelp.com/download/HandBrake-0.9.3-Win_GUI.exe . See if you can choose ac3 copy under the audio tab and make an avi with divx/xvid and ac3 audio.

You can also try the old autogk. Under advanced settings and audio output choose original(ac3/dts).

Or maybe try xvid4psp 5, load the dvd, choose the avi hardware preset, under audio choose copy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Divx Converter certainly did support AC3 passthrough in the past. Are you absolutely sure it doesn't now? That seems very strange to me that they would take that away. Divx Converter is meant to have very very few user configurable options as its designed to be used by people with no experience and no real knowledge of what they are doing. By limiting what it can do, it does make it into an "It just works" kind of tool but it's frustrating for experienced users because almost nothing can be configured in it.

I'm positive you mean "Video CD" (VCD) and not "CD-Video". CD-Video actually did exist but it's a dead format now. It was laserdisc based so it won't work in your car.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I have downgraded Handbrake now, but it seems to have problems reading my DVDs. It has stated now "The CLI is about to read your source.... This process can take up to 1 minute." for 10 minutes now. Freemake Video Converter was able to quickly read it.

Divx Converter can't even see that the source has audio, I have AC3 Filter installed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do you rip/decrypt with? Like dvdfab or anydvd.

Have you you checked if you can choose avi(xvid,ac3) in freemake? After you clicked to avi and edit the preset....but it might reconvert the ac3 audio. You don't want that...
    Quote Quote  
  6. LOL, people are already scared to drive alongside a volvo but a volvo playing loud tunes, watch the bodycount rise haha
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The video blanks at 3kmh but sound continues. I have quite some 5.1 music DVD that I can enjoy the sound from.
    Quote Quote