VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Location: UK
    Search PM
    Hi
    I am about to buy a new Mac, which mainly will be used for family video editing.

    I currently use Pinnacle, anyone that has used this, is iMovie comparable? (I only cut/past clips, add music/titles/transistions, nothing to techy).

    I seem to find mixed comments about the files of AVCHD, my camera is a Panasonic HDC TM55, and currently I have to convert to MPEG4 then I can edit.
    With the Maverick os, is it correct, the Mac will allow me to edit the AVCHD file that I have transferred onto the Mac without any conversion?

    Also I currently output onto as HD onto a DVD, again I have learnt that Macs get away from this, so how does everyone output their video so they can watch at a later date?

    Thank you for any advice and also if I have missed anything, as I am just going on my experience with a PC
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by san001 View Post
    I currently use Pinnacle, anyone that has used this, is iMovie comparable? (I only cut/past clips, add music/titles/transistions, nothing to techy).
    Pinnacle is more sophisticated than iMovie, but it's free so see if it suits your needs. On Mac your only real choices are iMovie ot FCPX. After that it gets more sophisticated and much more expensive.

    Originally Posted by san001 View Post
    I seem to find mixed comments about the files of AVCHD, my camera is a Panasonic HDC TM55, and currently I have to convert to MPEG4 then I can edit.
    With the Maverick os, is it correct, the Mac will allow me to edit the AVCHD file that I have transferred onto the Mac without any conversion?
    It's more a question of CPU. But iMovie and FCPX will transcode to ProRes or AIC anyway.

    Originally Posted by san001 View Post
    Also I currently output onto as HD onto a DVD, again I have learnt that Macs get away from this, so how does everyone output their video so they can watch at a later date?
    HD on a DVD is unusual enough. You can burn files with say Toast, but you will need an external DVD drive.

    Originally Posted by san001 View Post
    Thank you for any advice and also if I have missed anything, as I am just going on my experience with a PC
    In general there are far more options at a lower price on a PC. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads