VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a newbie question...I'm backing up an original DVD9 and I ripped it twice, with different results.

The first time I just copied and pasted the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD and pasted it onto my hard drive. The second time I used DVDFab HD Decrypter and selected FULL DISC.

I expected to have the same number of files, and same size folders, but instead the folder which I copied and pasted had 7 VOBs (like the original DVD), while the one ripped using DVDFab HD Decrypter had only 6 VOBs. The VIDEO_TS folder I copied and pasted was 7.04GBs in size, while the one ripped using DVDFab was only 6.15GBs - that's a big difference!

Any ideas why this might have happened? Is the difference of almost one gig something to do with DVDFab removing encryption?
    Screenshots attached.

Thanks in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	24178Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	24179
    Quote Quote  
  2. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You probably just left out some audio languages when you ripped with DVDFab
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVDFab HD Decrypter doesn't just remove the encryption but other things related to copy protection, such as unreferenced video. That's my guess as to what happened here. It's not uncommon to have half an hour or more of useless black screen which serves only to take up space.

But I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'I'm backing up an original DVD9'. An original retail DVD (like of a Hollywood movie), or an original DVD of material you created yourself?
    Last edited by manono; 19th Mar 2014 at 05:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If this were/is an original Hollywood movie, you would find out soon enough the difference between Copy&Paste vs. DVDFabHDDecrypter ripping: the C&P files would be encrypted and unwatchable (barring some kind of post-rip decryption, which I'm not sure is possible).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for all the replies!

When I said original DVD9, yes, I meant a retail DVD, not one I created myself.

The C&P files are watchable with VLC, no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by silentmachine View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!

Doesn't matter. Still never a wise move to just copy and paste a store-bought DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by silentmachine View Post

Consider yourself lucky in this instance. The vast majority of DVDs are CSS encrypted and copy/paste will give you severely distorted video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Actualy, VLC can decrypt CSS encription in copy and pasted files through libdvdcss.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    DVDFab HD Decrypter doesn't just remove the encryption but other things related to copy protection, such as unreferenced video. That's my guess as to what happened here. It's not uncommon to have half an hour or more of useless black screen which serves only to take up space.
    I can personally back this up. Some years ago I ripped a DVD and unfortunately I do not remember the name of it, but I examined the contents of the rip. I found a file about 1 GB in size that was unreferenced video and it was completely unrelated to the movie on the disc. The only thing I could figure was that it was used to deliberately make the size of the DVD large enough to need a dual layer disc so suckers, I mean "consumers", would think that the video was of higher quality than it really was because it was a dual layer DVD disc. Without the unreferenced video, the contents of the DVD could easily have fit onto a single layer DVD. The only other thing I could think of is that maybe such unreferenced video fools programs like DVDShrink into over compressing the main movie because they don't understand that the unreferenced video is useless so they just compress everything, but that is just a guess. It's also possible that DVDShrink is smart enough to ignore unreferenced video. I truly don't know what it does in such cases.
    Quote Quote