VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I notice on ebay people trying to sell non-working 1366 motherboards for as much as $125.00. Why would anyone buy a non-working motherboard? And why would you spend a $100.00 or more?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's a mystery. I remember looking for an AMD dual core years ago. If memory serves me correctly there were only a couple of dual core CPUs with the socket in question and the model with the highest clock speed was somewhat in demand second hand. A couple I stopped bidding on eventually went for around the same amount it cost me to buy a new mid-priced motherboard, a newer faster CPU, and still have a few dollars left over to put towards RAM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe they just can't prove or verify that they are working. And just like any other financial transaction - Buyer Beware.
    I have a couple of rare audio CDs here that I have owned for many years. They are expensive, but I'm sure nobody in their right mind would pay between $150 - $199 for them. People do make listings with desperate suckers in mind....perfectly legal.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are local shops around here that trade in used motherboards. People use them to rebuild others. They make pretty good $$ doing it.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 01:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Why would anyone buy a non-working motherboard? And why would you spend a $100.00 or more?
    Last year I sourced a 1366 mobo for someone who wanted an x58-based for some reason. I took a chance on three "defective" ones from ebay, cleaned and degreased them, and replaced all the electrolytic caps and coin battery. They all boot up properly after that. All three came from the same vendor and charged $100 for all of them; I probably won't go higher than that.
    Lots of mobos get tossed when they belly up, but in nearly all cases it was because the electrolytic caps died.
    In a few cases it was because someone mishandled the processor socket, and twisted some of the pins in there (genius Intel transferred the problem that used to be that of the processor pins, to the mobo manufacturer), or in like manner forcibly tried to wrongly insert items in the memory & PCI, PCIe slots. In this case the mobo has to be closely examined if it can be saved before you buy, something kvetchy over ebay. But hey if its cheap enuff why not. And yes, nothing above $100, if that.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote