VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a video that has moderate complexity in the left pane and high complexity (but not that important) on the right. I found it far more efficient to encode them separately, one with CRF22 one with CRF30 then play them back stacked horizontal in an AVS script.
    You might tell me to use a lower qcomp but the fact of the matter is that both parts of the video are complex but the right pane is random text for the most part that is rarely useful so a lower qcomp will destroy more important details on the left.

I might upload this video as a torrent but I'm wondering if the predominantly newb population will be able to play it properly if I include the two videos, the AVS script and perhaps an instructions.txt. Most will not have Avisynth installed at all so might lament the extra step to download it but providing they do desire to see both panes of the video and do install Avisynth, will the average player be able to play an .AVS without problems?

I only use Winamp and MPC both of whom employ Directshow so I can't look at this from a newb's point of view.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    I'm wondering if the predominantly newb population will be able to play it properly if I include the two videos, the AVS script and perhaps an instructions.txt.
    Of course not.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What if they want to view the video on a Mac or on an Andoid tablet/phone?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another possibility would be to include two concurrent video streams in one file. But I don't know how many players can handle that. Most that do will open two separate windows.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Jagabo, the two streams are encoded with different settings so I don't think any muxer could put them in one file and even if it could most players would have difficulty as you say. This is not about joining two MKVs together, this is about joining two videos visually and I've never heard of this being possible. Can MKVmerge do this?

@Vidd
    Tough luck, all the videos I do are adjusted for compression efficiency, not compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    Jagabo, the two streams are encoded with different settings so I don't think any muxer could put them in one file and even if it could most players would have difficulty as you say. This is not about joining two MKVs together, this is about joining two videos visually and I've never heard of this being possible. Can MKVmerge do this?
    MMG, yes. I just did it with two completely different unrelated videos. VLC could play both video streams at the same time (in different windows). Several other players would only play one video. So it's not a practical solution for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    A good container can store many video tracks, many audio tracks and many subtitle tracks,
    if you have or don't have a software or firmware to handle the stuff is another story.

Even the infamous ASF can do that. MKVs and transport streams are much superior, of course
    Quote Quote  
  8. You were right, VLC does play both streams but to my best knowledge MPC can't do this. A lot of people on the net do use VLC to play videos out of laziness and they would have to select "track 2" to open the other video in the stream, but it's hard to say how many really use VLC. It's a mediocre player anyway that's only popular because of the brainless setup.

I guess I'll go with my instinct on this one. But can anyone tell me if any other player besides MPC would accept AVS input if Avisynth is installed?

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    A good container can store many video tracks, many audio tracks and many subtitle tracks,
    if you have or don't have a software or firmware to handle the stuff is another story.

Even the infamous ASF can do that. MKVs and transport streams are much superior, of course
    Multiple tracks is one thing, what I didn't know was that any player could play multiple video tracks at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    But can anyone tell me if any other player besides MPC would accept AVS input if Avisynth is installed?
    MPC, MPCHC, KMPlayer, PotPlayer, SMPlayer, VLC all can play AVS scripts. Beware, 32 bit players will require 32 bit AviSynth, 64 bit players will require 64 AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Do all those players render thru Directshow by default? Winamp can also play AVS but the extension has to be added to the DShow list.

Does Avisynth come with ffms2.dll by default? I don't trust directshowsource when seeking two videos and I know dss2() doesn't come by default.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I just tested the players by dragging and dropping AVS script onto them. Most (all?) of them do not include .AVS in their supported file extensions. AviSynth does not come with ffms2.dll.
    Quote Quote