VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm trying to make a compilation video. I've got a lot of videos of different types - different codecs, containers, frame-rates, frame-sizes etc.

I'd like some advice on how I can edit them into a bit long montage. I only need to do basic editing, trimming clips and cutting them together.

Is there any app that I can use that will take care of the conversion? I don't mind installing codecs on my system if that will help. Something that can do the editing with the clips in their native form would be ideal. Alternatively, I don't mind converting them to an editable format - but is there a way to do this easily in a batch? They all play fine in VLC.

I've got so many to do, I can't really face having to examine what each and every file is and individually convert each file with a the correct, app with the correct settings.

Any advice would be much appreciated. If I can get at least 95% of the clips edited with minimal labour that would be amazing.

Thanks

PS: I am a Windows user. I have only Windows Movie Maker installed, but I have access to Premiere Pro CS6. Will of course consider anything that will get the job done.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Jiffff View Post
    I only need to do basic editing, trimming clips and cutting them together.
    The above isn't true because...

Originally Posted by Jiffff View Post
    I've got a lot of videos of different types - different codecs, containers, frame-rates, frame-sizes etc.
    ...You need to reconcile them.

Bring all your clips into Premiere CS6, find the biggest raster size and framerate among them and use that as your sequence settings. (Probably 1920x1080 at 60fps -- but you haven't specified.)

Build your sequence. Let Premiere "fix" everything to the same size and framerate. The other option is to...

Originally Posted by Jiffff View Post
    examine what each and every file is and individually convert each file with a the correct, app with the correct settings.
    This should get you 95% of the way there. Good Luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, ditto on that, smrpix.

What I would do is look at the various clips and see if you can find a common denominator render template that avoids stretching or cropping anything. Then find a creative way to present what you have.
    Quote Quote