VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I have some AVI's with this codec, but I can't seem to play them or import them into any video editor program.
    I tried searching for a codec for it, nothing has worked so far. Anyone that might be able to help?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are many different variations of huffyuv. Some aren't compatible with others. The software section here has several of them: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/HuffYUV

ffdshow also includes a huffyuv decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Tried the first one, downloaded and installed it. Still gives me an error when trying to play it in VLC.
    Something I may have done wrong?
    The error message is this: VLC says it doesn't support HYMT.
    Last edited by MrJacobAngle; 17th Mar 2014 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vlc does not use external codecs.

Try a different player such as mp-hc
    Quote Quote  
  5. VLC cannot use system installed codecs. It only uses its built-in codecs. And it doesn't have an huffyuvmt (huffyuv multithreaded, HYMT) decoder. You'll have to convert it to something VLC can play. VLC does have a decoder for the original huffyuv (HFYU). You could convert it to that by:

1) Install Huffyuv 2.1.1.
    2) Install Huffyuv mt.
    3) Open the source in VirtualDub.
    4) In VirtualDub select Video -> Fast Recompress
    5) In VirtualDub select Video -> Compression -> Huffyuv 2.1.1, press configure, configure
    6) In VirtualDub select File -> Save As AVI.

That should give you a new file with no losses.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the help. Got it working so far!

On to the next question. I have 2 copys of VHS tapes in this format.
    Now the problem is, that they come from an VHS tape with macrovision. The macrovision doesn't appear on the same place in both tapes. So I want to edit those 2 files manually. And the only video editor software I can use is Sony Vegas.
    And of course Vegas doesn't support this either. So is there a "work-around" - or would I really need to convert it?
    I really don't wanna re-encode again, cause it'll just lose more quality. That's never good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you only have a few segments to work with VirtualDub's editing functions work fine for cut and paste editing.

When you say Vegas does't support this do you mean doesn't work with the original HYMT files or doesn't work after you've converted to HFYU? If the former, you'll have to convert them. If the latter -- I'm pretty sure there's a way to read HFYU files in Vegas. But I don't use the program so I can't help you with that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well it's an old VHS concert about 2H 4Ms. So doing it in VirtualDub, is gonna be a pain in the ass for me.
    I can't seem to find the original HFYU option. Why can't we just have 1 codec, and that's it. Haha
    Here's a shot of the configurations available.
    Help would be nice.

Quote Quote  
  9. Do you have both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of VirtualDub installed? 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs, 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to edit two captures to remove macrovision disturbance is gonna be a PITA anyway.

The picture will change every few seconds and how can you guarantee that the second copy is 'clean' for the part in the first is disturbed. And vice-versa. A pretty hopeless task.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by MrJacobAngle View Post
    Well it's an old VHS concert about 2H 4Ms. So doing it in VirtualDub, is gonna be a pain in the ass for me.
    I can't seem to find the original HFYU option. Why can't we just have 1 codec, and that's it. Haha
    Here's a shot of the configurations available.
    If you choose the ffdshow encoder you can then select huffyuv under it's encoder setup, although it's not the standard huffyuv so I don't know whether VLC would decode it either. Maybe try re-encoding using a different lossless codec such as Lagarith. I'm pretty sure there's only one version. You could try a test encode to make sure VLC will decode it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Do you have both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of VirtualDub installed? 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs, 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs.
    Ahhh. Got it!

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Trying to edit two captures to remove macrovision disturbance is gonna be a PITA anyway.

The picture will change every few seconds and how can you guarantee that the second copy is 'clean' for the part in the first is disturbed. And vice-versa. A pretty hopeless task.
    Well, I gotta try. If I can't get it to look clean, then I'll just gonna let it go. But Theres still that 1% chance!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you're having so much trouble with huffyuv why not recompress with Lagarith, as suggested earlier? It's far more compatible with different systems. Except for only one or two versions of huff, which themselves aren't compatible with anything else, huffyuv can't compress YV12 -- and most of the filters you could use with Avisynth work only in YV12. If you want to do everything in VirtualDub youy've already f'd-up partially by converting poorly captured VHS levels to RGB. Vegas will do the same thing and doesn't even use the right flavor of RGB for what you want to do, besides having piss-poor cleanup features for VHS. You might wanna rethink a few things here and stop thinking inside the box.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 02:54.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I've used Huffyuv in the past, don't recall having many problems, but this time around I can't for the life of me get this darn thing to work.

It is so frustrating that programmers for video software and tools seem to lack the capability to make things that just work, always demanding specialized tools, specialized installs, a complete lack of any attempt at any standardization.....I just want to capture video, and archive it, in a way that it can be played easily at anything I throw it at. My process has been to capture lossless, which led me to huffyuv long ago, import to sony vegas, the only video editing software that has any logical interface to it, especially for the audio focused mindset, make necessary edits, render to mpg, find glitches and bugs since sony vegas loves to do that randomly without warning, jump up and down and curse and scream a lot, tweak edits in ways to try and avoid the glitches, delete temporary files, reboot, open session again, render again, repeat until I have a clean mpg dvd quality render, which rarely goes to DVD these days since physical media is a dying format, but DVD quality mpg is the closest thing I can find to a somewhat universal video standard so that at least my end product is something that has the potential to go to a physical discs should it be needed, but if I need to end with a file I use mkv since it's a container that will hold whatever I throw at it.

Lots of problems along the way....but it's ultimately where I'm at....and since most of my sources are VHS or downloads or DVD rips, I have no need for better than DVD quality. At least for the video portion.

Anyways, I found some VHS tapes I've been putting off converting for years now, and the old VCR was crap, so I picked up a nice one, and cued up the old capture PC and grabbed some files to .avi using virtualdub with the huffyuv codec. Something I've done many times.

But I've not video edited my captures on my current Windows 10 install. So I opened up vegas, pulled in my file......no video.

Great....

Came here, downloaded the installers for huffyuv. Both of them, 32 and 64 bit. Followed the instructions to install them.

Now vegas won't let me drag the file in. It went from letting me drag it in, but leaving the video portion in the session blank, to blocking me from dragging it in.

Can someone for the love of god tell me how to get huffyuv reliably working on Windows 10 with Sony Vegas?

Better yet, can someone that works for Sony make a stable version of Vegas? I absolutely hate it....but as I said, it's the only video editing option that has anything resembling logic in it's interface.
    Quote Quote