VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I have been using DVD FAb but has been causing me problems.

I have the FULL version of ANYDVD.

How do I use this to make a backup, removing copyright protection so I can then use the image to burn to disc?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Right click on the anydvd icon in the notification area and choose rip to image. Burn the image with imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi there,

I only have 4.7 GB discs.

I clicked 'RIP VIDEO DVD TO HARDDISK', then used DVD SHRINK. The problem with that is it doesnt keep the menus it turns them into video clips.

What other software can I use to re-size from the 8GB file to 4.7GB?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't used dvd shrink (or any dvd tools) for a while but it could always do the menus.

Haven't used anydvd at all but you may have turned on the "just copy the main feature" option. You want the whole disc.

DVDshrink was actually the best program of it's type I used except for the fact it doesn't work with newer encryption. I used dvdfab to actually rip, then dvd shrink. But it renders the video quite well. Miles better than dvdfab.

Just make sure you enable "deep analysis" in dvd shrink if you want good quality. It's their expression for 2 pass encoding. You need that. There are also filters for sharpening and softening the video. Some dvd sources are pretty grainy to start with and softening is handy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink doesn't convert menus into video clips by default. There's a setting you can change to do that, but it's been many years since I used this program so I don't remember where it is.

DVD Rebuilder can produce higher quality output than DVD Shrink, but it takes longer to run and it requires you to do some setup stuff to get it working.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys, handy information.

It still says that DVDSHRINK automatically copies the menus into video clips by default....cannot find anywhere to change it... if anyone else knows that would be really good.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by callidus View Post

It still says that DVDSHRINK automatically copies the menus into video clips by default....cannot find anywhere to change it...
    Screenshot please.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "It" or "you" are wrong.

I can not find any setting to do this either.

The only way I know of it to convert or "copy" the menus to videos is if you use reauthor mode and drag all the items from the right side to the left side.

Which is the incorrect way to backup the full disc with everything intact as on the original disc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes thats what I am doing now, dragging from right to left and re-authoring to fit onto a 4.7gb disc.

What is the other way to shrink the disc to 4.7gb so I can then burn to disc?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Use DVDFAB or ANYDVD and put the DVD file-set on the hard drive.
    2. Use DVD SHRINK's "Open Files" to locate that folder.
    3. Use DVD SHRINK's "Full Disk" button, specify another Destination Folder for this DVDShrink'd file-set, and off it goes.
    4. Start your DVD Burner program and locate this second file-set, and it will fit onto a 4.3 DVD blank.
    Quote Quote