VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear Lovely DVDHelp Folks,

I use film clips for teaching. I rip and trim videos using DVDShrink, making sure to preserve the subtitles in the extraction process.
    I then import these clips to DVDStyler to create a menu. My problem is that the subtitles appear as black when I play the ISO files on VLC or when I burn to DVD and play the disc on a DVD player. I routinely click on the "copy" subtitles, do not remultiplex/transcode, and do not delete temporary files options in DVDStyler.

What am I doing wrong? Should I change my process?

I've seen a video on youtube that instructs me to add a yuv or rgb palette but DVDShrink does not produce such files. I've also read on the internet that it's possible to extract such a file using a separate program but I can't seem to find a way to produce an RGB or YUV file (e.g., PGC edit produces either a text file or a proprietary kind of RAW file). DVDStyler accepts nothing other than yuv or rgb.

Thank you so much for any assistance you might be able to provide.

John
    Quote Quote  
  2. I attach two palettes you can use. One using white color the other yellow for the subtitles to be used as I show here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Apperantly my attachments disappears if I do any editing so here they go again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I better have my morning coffee now ....
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by john1973 View Post
    PGC edit produces either a text file or a proprietary kind of RAW file). DVDStyler accepts nothing other than yuv or rgb.
    You can save such a file from the original DVD (Export)and then use it to fix the colors afterwards (Import). Either that or fix the colors to your liking using DVDSubEdit:

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/Guides/ChangingColors/Guide.htm
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, videoburger. The palettes helped. Now they're legible but for some reason the interior of the font is still black. Here's the result, regardless of which palette I choose. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-03-17-21h35m32s142.png
Views:	910
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	24160
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks, Manono. I'm not tech savvy at all. Is there a function in DVDSubEdit that allows you to save the PCG edit file as RGB or YUV? I appreciate your help.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by john1973 View Post
    PGC edit produces either a text file or a proprietary kind of RAW file). DVDStyler accepts nothing other than yuv or rgb.
    You can save such a file from the original DVD (Export)and then use it to fix the colors afterwards (Import). Either that or fix the colors to your liking using DVDSubEdit:

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/Guides/ChangingColors/Guide.htm
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by john1973 View Post
    Thanks, Manono. I'm not tech savvy at all. Is there a function in DVDSubEdit that allows you to save the PCG edit file as RGB or YUV?
    I mentioned DVDSubEdit as a way to fix the subs the way you like after authoring it with DVDStyler. No, it's got nothing to do with PGCEdit. I don't find anything magical about sub colors as on an original DVD and almost always fix them to my liking. Or, if you insist of having the exact same colors you can try the PGCEdit method I mentioned.

You can even fix them directly in PGCEdit without the palette file by reversing the colors (make the outline black and the main color light grey).
    Quote Quote