VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I plan to create a compilation of clips extracted from a lossless MKV rip of one of my Blu-ray disks. Some sort of visible transition between these clips would be desirable but I don't want to re-encode the video. The only solution I can think of is to find or create a 2 second solid black video clip for use between each of my MKV extracts when I merge them using MKVMerge.

However, I don't have access to a video camera. Can anyone suggest how I might create such a divider clip? No audio track is required but I guess it would have to be 1920 x 1080 and 30fps, just like my Blu-ray extracts.

David
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    I plan to create a compilation of clips extracted from a lossless MKV rip of one of my Blu-ray disks. Some sort of visible transition between these clips would be desirable but I don't want to re-encode the video. The only solution I can think of is to find or create a 2 second solid black video clip for use between each of my MKV extracts when I merge them using MKVMerge.

However, I don't have access to a video camera. Can anyone suggest how I might create such a divider clip? No audio track is required but I guess it would have to be 1920 x 1080 and 30fps, just like my Blu-ray extracts.

Unlikely to be 30fps . A blu-ray movie would be 23.976 or 24.0 fps

mkvmerge will only join similar spec clips, and you need audio to match, even if it's just silent audio. You should use mediainfo (view=>text) to determine . If something is off like the compression doesn't match, or framerate doesn't match, audio channels don't match, etc.. they won't join

You can create it with avisynth using blankclip() + x264 to encode if the video is h.264, or hcenc if thte video is mpeg2, or wmnicenc if the video is vc-1
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the rapid and useful response.

I have just used MediaInfo to check the frame rate of several of the MKV files I have generated from my Blu-ray disks using MakeMKV and they were all 29.970 fps. Windows Explorer rounds this up to 30 fps.

The specific MKV file I wish to work on has its video described as follows by MediaInfo. Which tool would let me create a matching solid black clip?

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=24
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 1h 36mn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Maximum bit rate : 32.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : MBAFF
    Language : English
    Default : No
    Forced : No
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is there no audio?

Check the other videos first, that you want to have in the same compliation. They have to match specs or they won't append

If they are all like the one you posted, you can do this with avisynth + x264

I'll post farther instructions after you answer the other questions
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The audio tracks info is shown below, plus subtitle info in case that is also important for creating a suitable black divider clip.

Would there perhaps be a different solution to my problem that uses a modified version of a clip taken from the original MKV as the starting point for creating the divider clip? Obviously, such a clip would have all the matching video and audio settings but I would need an editing program that lets me reduce the audio volume to zero and dim the video to black.

Audio #1
    ID : 2
    Format : FLAC
    Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
    Codec ID : A_FLAC
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Title : 2/0
    Writing library : MakeMKV v1.8.5 win(x64-release)

Audio #2
    ID : 3
    Format : FLAC
    Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
    Codec ID : A_FLAC
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Title : Lossless
    Writing library : MakeMKV v1.8.5 win(x64-release)
    Default : Yes

Text #1
    ID : 4
    Format : VobSub
    Muxing mode : zlib
    Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
    Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
    Title : English - VOB

Text #2
    ID : 5
    Format : PGS
    Muxing mode : zlib
    Codec ID : S_HDMV/PGS
    Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
    Title : English - PGS
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think it's going to be tricky, unless everything matches, including the audio tracks. I don't know how subs will affect it

To do the video, you can make a script in avisynth

Code:
    BlankClip(length=60, width=1920, height=1080, pixel_type="YV12")
    AssumeFPS(30000,1001)
    KillAudio()
    You would use BD compliant settings that match your original "1080i29.97" - that's what the "MBAFF" is indicating

https://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray/home/1080i

You can generate 2 blank audio tracks (one stereo, one 5.1) with an audio editor (maybe audacity), and encode to flac
    Quote Quote  
  7. Might be easier if I just did it quickly for you, but the process is outlined above

I used avisynth to do the audio as well using blankclip() and mergechannels() to make stereo and a 5.1 mix, soundout() to encode the flac , but you can just as easily use an audio editor

Here are the video, stereo, and 5.1 flac files
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks once again for your kind assistance on this.

It's well after midnight here in the UK, so I'll play with your files in the morning. Just one quick question, though, before I head for bed - what tool do I use to combine your 3 files (blank.264, stereo.flac and 6ch.flac) into an MKV?

David
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a 2 seconds mkv file:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    what tool do I use to combine your 3 files (blank.264, stereo.flac and 6ch.flac) into an MKV?
    mkvtoolnix - the same one you're going to be using for appending segments
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    After hitting problems trying to append 2_sec.mkv (from shaema) to one of my Blu-ray extracts, I had a go at using poisondeathray's solution. This was more successful but I am still grappling with some MKVMerge issues. The blank black clip soundtrack was also not completely silent. When played via my hi-fi system there was a quiet buzzing sound.

I will report back later when I have had more time to investigate.

David
    Quote Quote  
  12. Not sure why that would be.

If you play the audio in something like vlc, ffplay etc... it's completely silent

If you check the flac in an audio editor like audacity, it's completely silent and flatline

Perhaps something wrong with your setup ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    haggis999:

Could you attach a 10 or 15 seconds clip from your"Blu ray Extracts" so we can identify and fix the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  14. There are several reason's why shaema's mkv probably didn't append properly:

AAC audio, missing audio track, progressive encoding (not MBAFF) , wrong timestamps, different level (4.0) , no HRD settings
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I've been out this evening but will work on this again tomorrow.

David
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I have uploaded two short samples taken from Chapters 2 and 5 of Britten's War Requiem. These should help in clarifying any issues in the creation of a suitable 2 second black clip for insertion between other extracts from that recording.

However, sorting out a divider clip for these specific samples does not necessarily help me to create a similar divider for samples taken from a different Blu-ray disk. That is why I proposed a different approach a couple of days ago, i.e. using a modified version of a clip taken from the original MKV as the starting point for creating the divider clip. Such a clip would automatically contain all the matching video and audio settings but I would need an editing program that lets me reduce the audio volume to zero and dim the video to black. Does such an editing program exist?

David
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    Such a clip would automatically contain all the matching video and audio settings
    Clever idea, but not necessarily correct, Blu Ray can contain different encoding in different sections. I have a disk, for example, where the main film is 1920x1080 24fps, but some of the bonus features are in 720x480 29.97.

Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    I would need an editing program that lets me reduce the audio volume to zero and dim the video to black. Does such an editing program exist?
    Any software that will do what you want will also create the black you need anyway. Check out TMPGenc Authoring Works.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a look at TMPGenc Authoring Works. For my purposes, only the main feature will ever be relevant, so I assume that I will have no issues with different encoding settings.

David
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    For my purposes, only the main feature will ever be relevant, so I assume that I will have no issues with different encoding settings.
    That was meant as a specific example, the larger point was that you must always check. Best of Luck.
    Quote Quote  
  20. No program detects what settings were used for encoding, and then replicates them precisely .

Video joins without issues, but the problem in your case is the audio headers in your samples prevent the audio from joining properly. Flac can be difficult to append. You would have to decode , join, re-encode the audio tracks. That should be lossless if done properly as it's decoded to uncompressed . Some audio programs might dither if you change bit depths, then that wouldn't be truly lossless
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    No program detects what settings were used for encoding, and then replicates them precisely .

Video joins without issues, but the problem in your case is the audio headers in your samples prevent the audio from joining properly. Flac can be difficult to append. You would have to decode , join, re-encode the audio tracks. That should be lossless if done properly as it's decoded to uncompressed . Some audio programs might dither if you change bit depths, then that wouldn't be truly lossless
    One of the assumptions I have been making is that I can trust MKVMerge to join together samples taken from the same original source (ignoring blank divider clips for the moment). Are you suggesting that this is not a safe assumption?

Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Any software that will do what you want will also create the black you need anyway. Check out TMPGenc Authoring Works.
    I have installed the trial version of TAW but can't see any way to modify the video in a way that changes the actual image in a frame (none of the options in the Edit Menu seem relevant). In other words, it is not obvious how I could edit a selection of frames to make them all black. Have I missed something?

David
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    I have installed the trial version of TAW but can't see any way to modify the video in a way that changes the actual image in a frame (none of the options in the Edit Menu seem relevant). In other words, it is not obvious how I could edit a selection of frames to make them all black. Have I missed something?
    Just use a black still and stick it between your clips for 2:00 or whatever duration you want. You can fade to and from the black -- which may be sufficient on its own. It also has smart rendering to minimize quality loss which is why I recommended TAW instead of TMPGenc Video Mastering Works which is a little more flexible.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Just use a black still and stick it between your clips for 2:00 or whatever duration you want. You can fade to and from the black -- which may be sufficient on its own. It also has smart rendering to minimize quality loss which is why I recommended TAW instead of TMPGenc Video Mastering Works which is a little more flexible.
    As mentioned in my OP, I don't want to re-encode my primary extracts, so fade in/out will not be possible. However, re-encoding would not be an issue for a much shorter extract to be converted to a blank insert clip. Is there any editing program that would let me mess with the video in such a clip?

David
    Quote Quote  
  24. TAW. Nobody's forcing you to use fades.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    TAW. Nobody's forcing you to use fades.
    I realise that. Fades have already been faded out of this discussion

You appear to be reiterating that TAW is a viable solution for converting an extract from my Blu-ray rip into a plain black clip but I don't understand how to do that.

The whole point of starting with a clip from my original Blu-ray is to retain all the same video, audio and subtitle settings and thus make joining with my primary extracts a more straightforward matter. Unless I'm missing something here, importing a black still image into TAW doesn't appear to achieve that objective.

David
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Are you perhaps suggesting that I create my short divider clip by assembling a few frames from the end of one of my primary samples, a few frames from the beginning of the next primary sample and then stick a black still in between them (with fading to make it look better)? If so, does such a combination retain all the required video, audio and subtitle tracks?

David
    Quote Quote  
  27. Not sure it will retain the subtitles. Makes the whole thing far more complicated.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Some of my previous experiments using poisondeathray's black clip (which does not contain any subtitle tracks) suggest that subtitle tracks might not be vital in a divider clip.

I have been trying out what I suggested in my last post but have hit a problem trying to introduce a black section. I used TAW's Source Wizard to select a black colour matte but this was put on a second video track and the size was fixed at only 720 x 480. I couldn't find any way to increase this to Blu-ray dimensions.

David
    Quote Quote  
  29. Maybe you can try to pull 2 seconds of black from the very beginning of the show before the first title.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    I was thinking along similar lines but, so far, all I have found is a single frame that is all black and I can't yet see any way to duplicate frames in a clip.

David
    Quote Quote