VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So I picked up a chromecast yesterday. Main goal is to watch any UM or MSU games on the upcoming ncaa basketball tournament that aren't on bigten or tnt or espn networks - I plan on streaming from ncaa or cbssports whichever one carries all the games.

I did a few test runs of the classic tv section for star trek tng and enterprise on cbs.com. The video is jumpy.

The audio is clean and there isn't an obvious lag or any buffering issues.

The receiving tv is a different room then the computer and router. However I have successfully streamed hdx video from vudu to a sony bluray player so I know I have the wireless bandwidth to handle heavy streaming.

Is there anything I can do to keep it from being jumpy?

It does seem to be ok on the computer itself - its just the receiving chromecast that is jumpy. It's almost imperceptible but its still there. Kind of herky jerky. Hard to explain completely. Its not missing frames that I can tell.

I hate to think that I'd need to spend a 100.00 on a new router.

Would a new router solve this? I believe those AC routers are the latest greatest deals out there right? I don't want to go that way but if I have to I will.

And fyi I have the boost package from comcast - about 30mbs it seems on multiple tests just now on cnets bandwidth meter so the pipeline is not an issue.

Also I have the netgear - WNDR3400v2. It's an n router so that shouldn't be a limiting factor here.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it transcode/convert the with video? What is the cpu usage?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I really don't know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My problem using CCast are power supply by USB. My videos get jerk and loading times are bigger.

Plug in external power supply all issues are solve.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Chromecast contains the Marvell 88DE3005 (Armada 1500-mini) system on a chip, which includes codecs for hardware decoding of the VP8 and H.264 video compression formats. Radio communication is handled by AzureWave NH–387 Wi-Fi which supports 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz). The device has 512 MB of Micron DDR3L RAM and 2 GB of flash storage. The model number H2G2-42 is likely a reference to the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy abbreviation "H2G2"—in the novel, the number 42 is the "Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything."The bundled power adapter bears the model number MST3K-US, possibly shorthand for Mystery Science Theater 3000.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    My problem using CCast are power supply by USB. My videos get jerk and loading times are bigger.

Plug in external power supply all issues are solve.
    Unfortunately I was plugged into the wall. Though maybe the connection at either plug was a
    Iittle loose?

I'll try again of course.

That's great that they have a mst3k reference. I love that show.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Chromecast contains the Marvell 88DE3005 (Armada 1500-mini) system on a chip, which includes codecs for hardware decoding of the VP8 and H.264 video compression formats. Radio communication is handled by AzureWave NH–387 Wi-Fi which supports 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz). The device has 512 MB of Micron DDR3L RAM and 2 GB of flash storage. The model number H2G2-42 is likely a reference to the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy abbreviation "H2G2"—in the novel, the number 42 is the "Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything."The bundled power adapter bears the model number MST3K-US, possibly shorthand for Mystery Science Theater 3000.
    But isn't that only for the chromecast apps? I guess it work different it you use the chromecast tab mirroring.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'm hitting a moving target but I am getting better results.

I updated my flash player - not sure what version it was before but it is the latest now.

That made the star trek videos on cbs.com look better on the chromecast (also set to 480p not 720p on the stream option so that should help).

But I had perfect results on youtube. I used the chromecast button on the youtube video that was at 720p and it played perfectly on my tv. I started the video on the computer and checked it out on the tv in the other room. Perfectly smooth hd video. It was a muppet video on youtube (short 3 minute clip). There was no stuttering or any imperfections.

Originally Posted by baldrick
    But isn't that only for the chromecast apps? I guess it work different it you use the chromecast tab mirroring.
    That is what it is starting to look like. So far the cast button in chrome does work but isn't perfectly smooth if its not an "official" cast site. It looks good but not crystal clear and smooth frame rates yet.

So I'll still be testing on it here and there.

It still looks like it was worth the 35.00. It will be fun to play with. I hope more and more sites become cast enabled and not just chrome browser casting.

If I'm going about this the wrong with the chromecast I'd appreciate more insight.

Thanks.

Edit - I just watched several minutes of cnet reviews in 720p on the chromecast in cast mode - cnet didn't have a cast button on its video. It was good. Not as sharp as the muppet clip using the youtube built in cast app feature.

I'm sure I'll find out the best sites and apps to work with it.
    Last edited by yoda313; 16th Mar 2014 at 19:28.
    Quote Quote