VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

This has been discussed in earlier forums, but I have a follow-up question. I'm entirely new and my understanding of ripping and terminology is minimal. So, if you respond, please use simple terms or elaborate. I want to rip DVD's to my external HD. However, I don't care about the space used, I would rather higher quality.

I have a DVD, a my passport, and an N900 netgear router to which my passport is plugged into. I use the netgear software so I can access my external hard-drive (passport) from wherever on my network.

Okay, we're done with the specs.

I basically want to create a video library where I can access my movies on my passport on devices like the DVD player or PS3.

I don't care about space, I care about quality. Yet, whenever I rip DVD's from a program like Magic DVD Copier I get a folder with a whole bunch VOB files. I tried making an ISO file and creating a disc with Nero, but it just wants to copy it to a DVD rather than copy it to my harddrive and even then I don't think that that will play when selected from the PS3.

There has to be some way to do this, I just want my DVD's uploaded onto a portable hard drive, pretty much "as is". The multiple files keep throwing me off. Help would be appreciated (remember, tiny non-technical words, I used ISO and that's a big one for me)

Thanks, you all seem like the experts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CollegeStealth View Post
    I don't care about space, I care about quality. Yet, whenever I rip DVD's from a program like Magic DVD Copier I get a folder with a whole bunch VOB files. I tried making an ISO file and creating a disc with Nero, but it just wants to copy it to a DVD rather than copy it to my harddrive and even then I don't think that that will play when selected from the PS3.
    The VIDEO_TS folder IS your DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I understand that, but I didn't know if there was a way to isolate it, so it was one file that plays like like a DVD or presents itself as if I had just put a DVD in a DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    xbmc can do iso dvd rips. (but its not available for the ps3 only computers and android so far as I know)

You need to understand the ps3 is not a formidable media player. It has it strong suits but is not like a wdtv media player.

You could use a computer and transcode the iso rip so that the ps3 will see it. Tversity or playon would be an option.

But you should consider getting a wdtv which is far more versatile. You can simply play your rips directly off the usb harddrive through the wdtv. Or over your network if you are using a live model. (the live models have network access, the original wdtvs do not have lan nor wifi connections - only usb).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't think there's a way around the "multiple files' problem if you want to rip a DVD and keep it "as-is". For most people though (well especially me) that's a good thing. I hate DVD menus. Just give me a single file I can open and play.

MakeMKV will give you individual MKVs..... ie a single MKV for the movie or a single MKV per episode. You can rip things like DVD extras to individual MKVs too, and if you wanted to put a bit more time into it you could create a chapter for each (if they don't already have them) and combine them into a single MKV with MKVMergeGUI. If all you're really concerned about is ripping the movie or episodes in a watchable format, MakeMKV would be worth a look.

DVD players are terribly limited in respect to what they'll play aside from DVD video discs. Will your DVD player even connect to your network? Bluray players tend to be a bit more versatile, but a standalone USB media player would probably be even better.

Thinking about it, does the PS3 play MKVs? If you're serious about it, buying a decent media player might be something to consider.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the VIDEO_TS folder, there is a file called VIDEO_TS.IFO.

Do a File-Associate on .IFO files with your software DVD player program, so that when you double-click on any IFO file, the DVD will start playing.

The VIDEO_TS.IFO is the main 'start here' file. If you create a bunch of Shortcuts to each folder's VIDEO_TS.IFO file, you can double-click on those and each DVD will play, in turn.
    Quote Quote