VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry this is a complete newb question.

I am trying to add an mp3 file over an mp4 file of mine for the first time. I wanted something simple to do this and it seemed like My MP4Box GUI was the best option. From what I read I should just need to add the video vile then the audio file and hit mux and then the audio file should go over top the video. I did this but I just get the original video and it's audio but the video file's length is the same as the audio but the video closes after its original length.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you mean by "audio should go over the top of the video"?
    What you're doing sounds like adding the MP3 audio to the existing MP4 but you'd end up with an MP4 containing two audio streams which you could choose between. Kind of like having a video with one audio stream in English and a second in another language.

Do want the new audio to replace the old audio or continue after the old audio ie video has finished etc? If it's the latter, it mightn't be simple to do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I'm looking at having the new audio replace the old
    Quote Quote  
  4. Like everything "MP4" it always seems it needs to be done the hard way. MKVs are so much easier to work with thanks to MKVMergeGUI (which will open MP4s too).

Looks like for My MP4Box GUI you'll need to switch to the Demux tab. Load the original MP4, select the video stream and click on Demux. That'll extract the video stream to a separate file. Switch back to the Mux tab, clear everything if need be, add the extracted video stream and then add the MP3 audio. You should be able to save the two of them as a new MP4 without the original audio that way.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks that worked.
    Quote Quote