VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering if anyone has a theater near them, that is equipped with this. I have one near me but haven't gone there, due to the price. I think it was $17 or $18 for each ticket.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I saw this Dolby Atmos on BBC Click. I wasn't that impressed - surely there must be an optimum place to be sitting in the cinema for this to be effective?

I cant see this new gimmick putting bums on seats.

It certainly wont make the transition to people's homes in the way (well, sort of) that 5.1 surround sound did. I mean, who's gonna want a ton of speakers in the ceiling?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well "Dolby Atmos" is coming to home cinemas. I'd provide links but I won't, because I'm not gonna promote the manufacturers of said product. (just google it) We hardly have any 7.1 tracks released on bluray. Not to mention lossless disc's that have yet to surface for consumers. So, I for one could care less. I'm still waiting on a five disc bluray player. (sorry, not everyone wants to rip and converts their disc's just to be able to play them through their streaming media player)

Anyways leave your own complaints or responses about what you have wanted but haven't received disc (movies) wise.

edit: I guess "Barco Auro 11.1" is "Dolby Atmos's" competion at cinemas.
    Last edited by Mr.Delusional; 28th Jul 2014 at 03:14.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm skeptical as well.

How many theaters are going to be willing to install the necessary hardware? There are now 2 within an hour drive of my home. (That surprised me). I suppose I should go and find out for myself if it's worth the premium.

As for home theaters, you're looking at a subset of a subset. How many even have 5.1 surround now?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Now I finally understand why Dolby Atmos even exists after reading about Barco Auro 11.1. Never heard of Barco Auro prior to this thread. Dolby created Atmos to compete with Barco Auro. I did find that a Barco Auro theater is more conveniently located to where I live than what is apparently the only Dolby Atmos theater in my part of the state. Sorry, never tried either one, but I appreciate the info on Barco Auro.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    What's old is new again!

After reading that sensurround entry, I now know why the audio is so screwed in the movie Midway. And I mean every time I saw it, either broadcast or on cable. All the sound effects (particularly explosions) are a mess. Nobody ever bothered to clean it up, evidently.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Barco Auro is a Channel-based system, utilizing height (5=bodylevel, 5=higher level, 1=overhead+.1subwoofer). Just a further extension of the 5.1->6.1->7.1, etc. paradigm.

Dolby Atmos is a hybrid of Channel-based + Object-based system, where the Object-based portion is positioned (panned) & rendered AT PLAYBACK TIME, based on additional positioning & other metadata. It is scalable to many sizes & shapes of rooms (and corresponding #s of speakers) and is capable of better discreet (non-phantom) sound, but requires special decoders throughout the playback chain (and particularly at the end).

Both are good. Neither are perfect, nor the only way to get good 3D surround sound. Binaural & Ambisonics can often do more with less (depending upon the application/audience).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Does anyone know if Mpc nightly will play Atmos and Dts x
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on what you mean by play. Can it play the TrueHD component of ATMOS... Yes, definitely.

Can it pass ATMOS through to a receiver? It should be able to.

Can it play the ATMOS extension? No, never. They would figure out how to determine your speaker layout to even attempt to write a decoder for it, and normal codecs are hard enough.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, only core or bitstreaming.

Atmos: MPC-HC can play the core or bitstream Atmos to an Atmos capable receiver
    DTS:X: MPC-HC can play the core. AFAIK there is currently no DTS:X capable receiver on the market.

MPC-HC does not have any decoder for the Atmos or DTS:X extensions since there is no free decoder for that. As it took years for a free DTS-HD MA decoder to appear you should not hold your breath.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    It depends on what you mean by play. Can it play the TrueHD component of ATMOS... Yes, definitely.

Can it pass ATMOS through to a receiver? It should be able to.

Can it play the ATMOS extension? No, never. They would figure out how to determine your speaker layout to even attempt to write a decoder for it, and normal codecs are hard enough.
    Did you mean "have to figure.."? Not being a grammar bug, just not sure what you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Yeah, only core or bitstreaming.

Atmos: MPC-HC can play the core or bitstream Atmos to an Atmos capable receiver
    DTS:X: MPC-HC can play the core. AFAIK there is currently no DTS:X capable receiver on the market.

MPC-HC does not have any decoder for the Atmos or DTS:X extensions since there is no free decoder for that. As it took years for a free DTS-HD MA decoder to appear you should not hold your breath.
    What does the extension mean? Does it matter will I still get the same effect if I have Atmos speakers/receiver? I just tried a movie with Dts Master HD via mpc, works well. Time to update your receiver http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/DTS/dtsx/Dolby/Atmos/Receivers/Home_Audio/Speak...ng-guide/24564

Mine will have the free dts x update soon according to Denon. It was on sale at Crutchfield and happy with it, although some bug issues with ios9.1. Other than that if you dont need upconversions or multi room, 1200xw is great. Atmos too.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read the thread. ATMOS doesn't have channels, it's object based. A sound comes from a particular point and the decoder has to mix audio based on the position of the speakers, none of which is of any use if the decoder doesn't know where your speakers are.

There are no free decoders for ATMOS, and no one is working on one because there's no point. First they'd have to write an app to analyse the input from a microphone to determine where, exactly, your speakers are positioned before they could even THINK about writing a decoder for ATMOS.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you asking if it passes it through to a receiver?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    Are you asking if it passes it through to a receiver?
    I read the thread in it's entirety. I also read up on object based vs. channels. Just b/c I read does not qualify me as an expert or an engineer, i wish. I guess I am just asking, without being too technical am I missing something? Do I need to watch this video?
    Or is it already set up? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDbmMuznrls

Is there a decoder you can purchase and add to MPC

Audyssey does my analyzing? So what can I do without actally buying a blu-ray player?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My new Lenovo tab 2-70f tablet has Dolby Atmos sound system, a three speaker sound system running across the top facing rear
    The demo video sounds pretty amazing for something this size
    I doubt any of my movies will sound as good
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've yet to see a program that has problems with DTS:X. It's basically just DTS-MA and if there are any programs that think something is wrong they'd be just plain buggy. Any program that can pass through DTS-MA should be able to pass through DTS:X.

ATMOS has been out for a while, I just tried Transformers: Age of Extinction and MPC-HC played the TrueHD core fine. It should be able to bitstream the whole thing just as well.

MPC-HC cannot decode the ATMOS or DTS:X extensions, but it can most likely pass them through to a receiver that can.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    I've yet to see a program that has problems with DTS:X. It's basically just DTS-MA and if there are any programs that think something is wrong they'd be just plain buggy. Any program that can pass through DTS-MA should be able to pass through DTS:X.

ATMOS has been out for a while, I just tried Transformers: Age of Extinction and MPC-HC played the TrueHD core fine. It should be able to bitstream the whole thing just as well.
    So it will play it, just not position the sounds where they are supposed to be? Anything one can do about that?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It can play the TrueHD and DTS-MA but not the DTS:X or ATMOS extensions, for that you need to pass it through to a receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by mlmiller707 View Post
    I just tried a movie with Dts Master HD via mpc, works well. Time to update your receiver
    My post didn't imply DTS-HD MA isn't working. MPC-HC can both decode and bitstream DTS-HD MA just fine but a free decoder was only added this year. We had the first DTS-HD MA BluRays in .. eh .. probably 2006? So it took some 10 years for a free decoder to appear. (But for bitstreaming the receiver will do the decoding so we don't need a free decoder in MPC-HC)

Originally Posted by mlmiller707 View Post
    Mine will have the free dts x update soon according to Denon.
    That's what I meant to say: currently no receiver can decode DTS:X. You can buy them now but the firmware is not yet available.

No. (But you can bitstream from MPC-HC to your receiver and let it decode like ndjamena said.)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    I just tried a movie with Dts Master HD via mpc, works well. Time to update your receiver
    My post didn't imply DTS-HD MA isn't working. MPC-HC can both decode and bitstream DTS-HD MA just fine but a free decoder was only added this year. We had the first DTS-HD MA BluRays in .. eh .. probably 2006? So it took some 10 years for a free decoder to appear. (But for bitstreaming the receiver will do the decoding so we don't need a free decoder in MPC-HC)

Mine will have the free dts x update soon according to Denon.
    That's what I meant to say: currently no receiver can decode DTS:X. You can buy them now but the firmware is not yet available.

No. (But you can bitstream from MPC-HC to your receiver and let it decode like ndjamena said.)
    Excellent. So I will still get the object based effect through the receiver with Atmos speakers? I was just saying about the MPC playing the DTS HD format, that it was good. Are there any movies with DTS x. I heard that Ex Machina was. I have it diplaying HD Master, obviously b/c the firmware is not there. Will the same file play dts:X when applicable?

I am also impressed with Win 10 Cyberlink player. I know MPC will play all, but the former player has a much better transfer to tv display as far as the color. It will play DD and all my old divx with no codec installation prior to MPC install. Is there something I need to adjust on MPC, to become comparable to Cyber in color?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by mlmiller707 View Post
    I have it diplaying HD Master, obviously b/c the firmware is not there. Will the same file play dts:X when applicable?
    Yes, probably. I suggest you just wait for the new firmware. It's a waste of time to endlessly speculate until anyone can actually test all this.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    I have it diplaying HD Master, obviously b/c the firmware is not there. Will the same file play dts:X when applicable?
    Yes, probably. I suggest you just wait for the new firmware. It's a waste of time to endlessly speculate until anyone can actually test all this.
    True, I was just not sure whether there were 2 diff files one encoded with HD...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If in doubt, download This and use it on your file:

Code:
    General
    Unique ID                                : 215636814642891718231343589359444197377 (0xA23A23CCC54ADBF1948103B2D1428001)
    Complete name                            : D:\DTS-X.mka
    Format                                   : Matroska
    Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
    File size                                : 123 MiB
    Duration                                 : 3mn 32s
    Overall bit rate                         : 4 861 Kbps
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2015-11-15 15:35:39
    Writing application                      : mkvmerge v8.5.1 ('Crosses') 64bit
    Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.3 + libmatroska v1.4.4

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : DTS
    Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
    Format profile                           : X / MA / Core
    Mode                                     : 16
    Format settings, Endianness              : Big
    Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable / Variable / Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 4 859 Kbps / 4 859 Kbps / 1 509 Kbps
    Channel(s)                               : Object Based / 8 channels / 6 channels
    Channel positions                        : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate                            :  / 48.0 KHz / 48.0 KHz
    Frame rate                               : 93.750 fps (512 spf)
    Bit depth                                :  / 24 bits / 24 bits
    Compression mode                         :  / Lossless / Lossy
    Stream size                              : 123 MiB (100%)
    Language                                 : English
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    DTS:X. Or wait for the next version of MediaInfo (in about 10 days). If you need to detect ATMOS in a file, look at it with either EAC3To or MakeMKV.

Code:
    C:\>eac3to "Transformers Age of Extinction.mkv"
    MKV, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 2:45:07, 24p /1.001
    1: h264/AVC, English, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
    2: TrueHD (Atmos), English, 7.1 channels, 48kHz
    Last edited by ndjamena; 20th Nov 2015 at 15:41.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search PM

Code:
    General
    Unique ID                                : 215636814642891718231343589359444197377 (0xA23A23CCC54ADBF1948103B2D1428001)

Audio
    Channel(s)                               : Object Based / 8 channels / 6 channels
    Channel positions                        : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    DTS:X. Or wait for the next version of MediaInfo (in about 10 days). If you need to detect ATMOS in a file, look at it with either EAC3To or MakeMKV.

Code:
    Yes I have an older version of Media Info XP

I assume that is a sample file, since this file is the only one I know about. So I guess there were 2 files made, or do I need an updated MI?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	317
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	34580  

Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search PM
    I never dled the Media Info xp to this pc, I just copied the .exe. It worked, so then I went to get the link you sent me and it asked for a 7z file, then it would not open? So I have not gotten to adding the new .dll's.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search PM

Code:
    General

Audio

Code:
    I have tried twice to install Eac3to. The run .exe says missing .dll files although they are all contained within the folder. The "extract all" .exe says nothing, goes through a cmd screen but never installs a program. Am I missing something? Will Media Info update in <10 days have this info?

I then tried installing MakeMKV. It installed fine, however it only allows to read source on dvd drive. Granted my file is not done dling, but will it load from find file once dling. It did nothing when I tried to load the incomplete file and went back to home screen on MakeMKV
    Last edited by mlmiller707; 25th Nov 2015 at 11:37.
    Quote Quote  
  28. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

I have tried twice to install Eac3to. The run .exe says missing .dll files although they are all contained within the folder. The "extract all" .exe says nothing, goes through a cmd screen but never installs a program. Am I missing something? Will Media Info update in <10 days have this info?

I then tried installing MakeMKV. It installed fine, however it only allows to read source on dvd drive. Granted my file is not done dling, but will it load from find file once dling. It did nothing when I tried to load the incomplete file and went back to home screen on MakeMKV
    Why do you assume that eac3to.exe is an installer?
    eac3to is a command-line application.
    And no, command-line interface is not the same as MS-DOS, since Windows 95 at least.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eac3to.png
Views:	290
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	34625  

Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

Why do you assume that eac3to.exe is an installer?
    eac3to is a command-line application.
    And no, command-line interface is not the same as MS-DOS, since Windows 95 at least.
    Why do you assume that your response is beneficial to anyone other than maybe you ego? So? How does that tell me how to read whether a file is containing Atmos? That is the purpose.
    Quote Quote