VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dolby Atmos

Thread
  1. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering if anyone has a theater near them, that is equipped with this. I have one near me but haven't gone there, due to the price. I think it was $17 or $18 for each ticket.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw this Dolby Atmos on BBC Click. I wasn't that impressed - surely there must be an optimum place to be sitting in the cinema for this to be effective?

I cant see this new gimmick putting bums on seats.

It certainly wont make the transition to people's homes in the way (well, sort of) that 5.1 surround sound did. I mean, who's gonna want a ton of speakers in the ceiling?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well "Dolby Atmos" is coming to home cinemas. I'd provide links but I won't, because I'm not gonna promote the manufacturers of said product. (just google it) We hardly have any 7.1 tracks released on bluray. Not to mention lossless disc's that have yet to surface for consumers. So, I for one could care less. I'm still waiting on a five disc bluray player. (sorry, not everyone wants to rip and converts their disc's just to be able to play them through their streaming media player)

Anyways leave your own complaints or responses about what you have wanted but haven't received disc (movies) wise.

edit: I guess "Barco Auro 11.1" is "Dolby Atmos's" competion at cinemas.
    Last edited by Mr.Delusional; 28th Jul 2014 at 02:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm skeptical as well.

How many theaters are going to be willing to install the necessary hardware? There are now 2 within an hour drive of my home. (That surprised me). I suppose I should go and find out for myself if it's worth the premium.

As for home theaters, you're looking at a subset of a subset. How many even have 5.1 surround now?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I finally understand why Dolby Atmos even exists after reading about Barco Auro 11.1. Never heard of Barco Auro prior to this thread. Dolby created Atmos to compete with Barco Auro. I did find that a Barco Auro theater is more conveniently located to where I live than what is apparently the only Dolby Atmos theater in my part of the state. Sorry, never tried either one, but I appreciate the info on Barco Auro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    What's old is new again!

After reading that sensurround entry, I now know why the audio is so screwed in the movie Midway. And I mean every time I saw it, either broadcast or on cable. All the sound effects (particularly explosions) are a mess. Nobody ever bothered to clean it up, evidently.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Barco Auro is a Channel-based system, utilizing height (5=bodylevel, 5=higher level, 1=overhead+.1subwoofer). Just a further extension of the 5.1->6.1->7.1, etc. paradigm.

Dolby Atmos is a hybrid of Channel-based + Object-based system, where the Object-based portion is positioned (panned) & rendered AT PLAYBACK TIME, based on additional positioning & other metadata. It is scalable to many sizes & shapes of rooms (and corresponding #s of speakers) and is capable of better discreet (non-phantom) sound, but requires special decoders throughout the playback chain (and particularly at the end).

Both are good. Neither are perfect, nor the only way to get good 3D surround sound. Binaural & Ambisonics can often do more with less (depending upon the application/audience).

Scott
    "When will the rhetorical questions end?!" - George Carlin
    Quote Quote