VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello

i bought the eastcap usb 2.0 for capturing my video minidv movies to my hard disk...
    i have sony camera DCR-HC32E .
    I can not set the video camera in the easycap software!!!

Any suggestions

TY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would not use an easycap in this scenario.

Do you have a i-link/firewire connection on the camera and a firewire connection on your PC ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. i bought easycap just for this Reason...
    what is firewire connection?
    i dont know if i have it in my camera....

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  4. The best way to transfer video from a DV camcorder to the computer is via a Firewire (aka i.LINK, IEEE 1394) connection. That will give you an exact copy of what's on the tape. If your computer doesn't have a firewire port you can get a card for about US$20.

Using an Easy cap to capture analog output from the camcorder will degrade the audio and video. But if you insist... Your camcorder doesn't show up as the video source. You select the composite or s-video input in the capture software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check your manual.

Easycap is for analog(typically VHS) to digital conversion. You have DV so you already have digital and attempting to capture through analog will destroy your picture quality.

Firewire is also known as IEEE 1394 but some manufacturers also call this i-link. I hardly think any DV camera would NOT have this connection.

Of course, if your PC does not have this connection you would require an adapter or try and do it the way you describe.

So I ask again. What connections do you have on your camera AND your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firewire is also known as IEEE-1394a. A DV camera's accessories often include a cable with connectors matching one or both of those shown in the link below, and the camera has a matching female port for one of the connectors.
    http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/usb-firewire/firewire-cables/product-30e3-01300.php

PCs with Firewire have a female port to match the larger connector shown in my link. If there isn't a suitable connector on a desktop PC, it is usually possible to install a Firewire card in an empty expansion slot at a cost of $30 (US) or less. Laptops must have an ExpressCard slot to add a Firewire port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ofir View Post
    i bought easycap just for this Reason...
    what is firewire connection?
    i dont know if i have it in my camera....

thank you
    Then you wasted your time and money.

Firewire connection(s):

Yes your camera has one:
    http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/DCR-HC32E/list
    Last edited by hech54; 14th Mar 2014 at 14:08. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A few replies later. A quote from the manuf descry

Manufacturer's Description

The DCRHC32E features a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, with a 20X Optical Zoom capability and a filter diameter of 25mm. This ensures that your footage will be of pin-sharp quality, even when you are zooming in from a significant distance, while the sizable lens guarantees a bright picture.
    Your Sony camcorder is always ready to shoot and playback. The Handycam Station is a powered cradle for the Sony DCR-HC32E that features an i.LINK connection for digital video editing on a PC or to copy footage to a DVD recorder, as well as USB for Web streaming purposes. Multi AV (Analogue, S-Video and Audio) is also featured for dubbing to analogue tape, as well as playing back movies or still images on a TV.

i.link = IEEE 1394 = firewire
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you very much for your answers ....
    i will try with the I-LINK connection ...
    i must have a firewire card or with the I-LINK its USB connection (to pc)??
    Quote Quote  
  10. Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-14 17.18.29.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	859.4 KB
ID:	24090

this is my connections
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty much covered in this thread, but maybe this will help too.

Get a firewire (or IEEE1394 or iLink) cable. Your camera has a port for it, which should be a 4 pin connector. Your computer should have one that is 6 pin. If your computer doesn't have an interface for one, then get one as was mentioned. If you have no clue what this is, don't worry, almost anybody in an electronics chain store will find one for you - even the idiots there should know this.

(I'm only calling some of them idiots because it's their job to know stuff that many there DON'T. But a firewire/IEEE cable, or computer adapter for one, should be easy for them to find).

Once you set that up, just download the free software called WinDV, and it will be easy. You would record it to the DV format, which is fine in an *.avi file, and will be roughly 13GB per hour. This would be the best bit-for-bit quality that you will get for your tapes. It will be a direct digital->digital transfer.

Your Easy Cap was not set up for this. You may have been told it can record it, which may be true, but it will NOT be the highest quality. The only way it can do it would be digital->analog->digital and lots of information lost along the way.

If you have VHS, you didn't buy the Easy Cap for nothing. You can use it for that. However, if you bought an Easy Cap that is not the real one described here at ezcap.tv, then throw it away anyway because it's a fake and likely garbage regardless.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Ofir, just read your post as I posted mine.

Yes, you have a connection as described. The one marked "DV", which is 4 pin. My last post, and other posts in this thread, should be all the info you need to get started.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ofir View Post
    i must have a firewire card or with the I-LINK its USB connection (to pc)??
    The camera's USB port will not work for transferring DV video.

If the PC has no Firewire port, then you need to buy a Firewire card to add a Firewire port.

Examples of Firwire cards:

For desktops with PCI-e expansion slots
    http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Ports-PCI-E-FireWire-RC-504/dp/B004F3DM6C

For desktops with PCI expansion slots
    http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Firewire-Low-Profile-Bundle-RC-501/dp/B00558ONXC

For laptops with an ExpressCard slot:
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Connectivity-ExpressCard-Controller-SD-EXP30012/dp/B003GAM68U

PC USB to Firewire adapters/cables will NOT work for transferring DV video from a camera. Do not buy anything like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-Firewire-Ieee-Adaptor-Convertor/dp/B00DSVTDS8
    http://www.amazon.com/Firewire-Ieee-Ilink-Adapter-Cable/dp/B0049DJ0JG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, in case it's confusing, just use the port marked "DV", and attach that one with the sufficient cable to your computer using the correct interface. In this case, ignore the USB one (the one with the tree-like graphic) and ignore the one marked "A/V" and only use the "DC IN" for power.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thank you all !!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Check your manual.

Easycap is for analog(typically VHS) to digital conversion. You have DV so you already have digital and attempting to capture through analog will destroy your picture quality.

Firewire is also known as IEEE 1394 but some manufacturers also call this i-link. I hardly think any DV camera would NOT have this connection.

Of course, if your PC does not have this connection you would require an adapter or try and do it the way you describe.

So I ask again. What connections do you have on your camera AND your PC.
    When i capture movie  From handycam through EASYCAP to my pc (usb shape common easycap) then quality are perfect but when i capture from  VCR so found colorfull strips or sometime black n white recording..
    I guess that may i face ths problem due to old model vcr ..?plssssss help
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sooo thanks..i will read in detail.may my prob will solve
    10000s time thanks
    💖💖💖
    Quote Quote