VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here are my main requirements:

1. It works with .mov files.

2. It pans and zooms videos (not just photos) like Premiere Elements.

I have been using Premiere Elements for a year, and I hate it so much, I don't know if I can bear to see it again tomorrow.

It does not work with .mov files. I have tried every conversion program. I have spoken with their customer service folks who checked out every aspect of my hardware. I have asked about this numerous times in the Premiere Elements forums. It is simply not going to work for me.

It takes me all day long to edit a 30 minute video down to 60 seconds. I have to render after every tiny edit, and rendering can take 20 minutes.

And this isn't the only reason I hate Premiere Elements. Many features don't work for me or take so long, they're just not worth the trouble.

I have googled, and numerous programs claim to have pan and zoom, but then they they talk about the Ken Burns affect, and show examples that look like zooming in on a still picture.

I typically film myself riding my horse using an iPhone on a tripod. When I begin editing, I am but a dot on the horizon. I need to be able to zoom in and follow the horse's movement.

If you'd like to see sample videos of my brilliantly edited videos, I have tons of them on my blog. Here's a recent favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-xfLDHwjM&feature=youtu.be I believe this short video has 90 frames in it, which took forever to grind out with Premiere.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by LifewithOden; 12th Mar 2014 at 00:53.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're giving Premiere Elements -- and any other editor-- a difficult task. You're asking it to use variable frame rate, long GOP iphone movies, which you are manipulating in a variety of ways. You may also be using raster sizes that don't match your sources.

Zooming in, slowing down, all of those things put a big burden on system resources, your constant rendering is understandable.

Please state what your system specs.

Try Sony Vegas Movie Studio and see if that works any better for you. It's very possible your image manipulations combined with your sources are too much for your system to handle in real time.

FWIW, it's been a long time since I've worked with Premiere Elements -- I like it's big brother much better -- but it should certainly handle resizing frames and using quicktimes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LifewithOden View Post
    I typically film myself riding my horse using an iPhone on a tripod. When I begin editing, I am but a dot on the horizon. I need to be able to zoom in and follow the horse's movement.

Even with a professional digital still camera and a professional (wide angle)lens, zooming in on a photo of you off in the distance is NOT going to look very good at all. You are expecting WAY too much, especially of iPhone video.
    Granted my Nikon D90 takes video and I have two very nice lenses for it, but when I need some video clips I reach for my iPod Touch or my Canon portable camera.
    iPhone video is not going to cut it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are a good learner, I'd recommend AviUtl. Its free and very powerful. It far exceeds your needs....

Otherwise I'd recommend Vegas.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, thank you. I didn't realize that maybe NO software package could do what I wanted. That's something to contemplate.

By the way, I have *no* complaints about the output. I think the resulting videos are amazing. It looks like I had someone filming me.

My complaint is the software's horrendous response time. But maybe that's as good as I will get for now.

I will look into the programs recommended, AviUtl and Vegas.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use powerdirector 12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "Ken Burns" effect only works with high resolution stills.
    Quote Quote  
  8. <<The "Ken Burns" effect only works with high resolution stills. >>

Right. That's why when I see video editing programs with this feature, I think that means it doesn't Pan and Zoom like Premiere Elements, which does Pan and Zoom perfectly.

I appreciate the suggestions, and I'll look into them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll add to the pile of people recommending Vegas. If you like panning, cropping, zooming and whatnot, Vegas makes it easy. It ingests virtually all video formats painlessly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried most of them years ago (granted that newer versions are more stable) but settled on Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's why when I see video editing programs with this feature, I think that means it doesn't Pan and Zoom
    And a tipoff that the software is for newbies. If you see "Ken Burns Effect" in the plugins, don't buy it. hahaha
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using Premiere Elements for a year, and I hate it so much, I don't know if I can bear to see it again tomorrow.
    Shooting video with an ayfone and editing with that thinkpad will make you hate premiere elements, no contest there. AviUTLl, vegas, and power director will probably make you gnash your teeth less or in fact even more, unless you up the ante on your hardware. Laughtops are not recommended for NLE.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "Ken Burns" effect only works with high resolution stills.
    I wouldn't say that, I did a nice "Ken Burns" effect on some old 20~30 year old pictures that were scanned at 640x480 and it came out pretty good when upscaled to 1080p...

Speaking of "Ken Burns" effect. Here is a highly modified version I did in AviUtl. Attached is the video along with original image. If someone could do it better, I'd like to see it.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IceHouse.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	24084  

Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it looks ok, but you did upsample to high resolution, and then ran an UnsharpMask on it, yeah? What's the ppi on that rascal? Prolly 300 or more?

I saw that "iceberg" floating in the front. Hahaha
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made that one early on when I first started learning and using AviUtl. The project was an experiment on Camera tracking. Along the way, I played around with some filters and Partical Generator. The camera shake was added to give the effect of someone walking with camera in hand.

I made the same effect (except snow) with HitFilm and it came out good also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that HitFilm has a lot of goodies. Perfect complement to Vegas Pro.
    Quote Quote