VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

I am new to the forum so please go easy with me and also new to backing up.

I would like to backup my BDR to discs and I currently have DVDFAB. I am looking to backup a BDR 50GB to 25GB in the fastest way possible but without losing lots of quality.

I was wondering whether somebody could post a step by step guide on how to go about this?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations to move away from DVD FAB that would be great. (Not sure if they're still about as the site has been down for ages!)

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BDrebuilder in High Speed BD25 mode will yield far superior results than DVDFAB. For ripping AnydvdHD is the preferred ripping option.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I assume buying both of these yes?

Ripping to HDD in full compression. Then using BDrebuilder to shrink to 25GB SL is that correct? I assume the file will end up as a .iso?

Is there anything else I need to do?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by callidus View Post
    I assume buying both of these yes?

Ripping to HDD in full compression. Then using BDrebuilder to shrink to 25GB SL is that correct? I assume the file will end up as a .iso?

Also, how long will that whole process I mention above take in total?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BDrebuilder is freeware. ANYDVDHD is payware. I would never create an ISO,personal choice. I don't know if BDrebuilder can create an ISO. All blueray conversions need a fast CPU. My 4.0Ghz setup takes 45-60 minutes to convert a typical movie using Highspeed BD25 mode. A "slow" computer can take 8-12 hours,it all depends on CPU speed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by callidus View Post
    I assume buying both of these yes?
    BD_Rebuilder is freeware. AnyDVD HD is shareware.

Originally Posted by callidus View Post
    Ripping to HDD in full compression. Then using BDrebuilder to shrink to 25GB SL is that correct?
    You mean copying to the HDD without making changes (ie compression), right? IOW, use AnyDVD HD's "Rip to Image..." feature, mount the resulting ISO with Virtcual CloneDrive, and then compress to a BD-25.

I assume the file will end up as a .iso?
    That's up to you. You can have the output be folders or an ISO image. BD_Rebuilder actually uses ImgBurn to create the ISO at the end of the process if you want an ISO.

Not that I can think of off the top of my head.
    Last edited by HemLok; 11th Mar 2014 at 17:58.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a few things newbies need to understand about BDRebuider BEFORE they start.

1) After you run it the first time to set it up, it creates a BDREBUILDER.INI file in the directory where you extracted everything. Please note that by default BDRebuilder CANNOT handle DTS-Express soundtracks, which may be used for audio commentaries. If you want to keep them you must manually edit BDREBUILDER.INI and put the line
    DTSX_ENBALE=1
    some place in the file.
    2) This usually doesn't happen, but sometimes if you try to shrink so that some audio and/or subtitle files will not be in the final output, some kind of bug gets triggered and BDRebuilder will produce a file too large for a single layer BD-R disc. In such cases the only fix I know of is to put the removed files back and try the shrinking again.
    3) BDRebuilder still has major problems with interlaced VC-1 video and it may produce an error when trying to re-encode it. The only fix I know of, and it usually doesn't fix this problem, is to make sure that "Use X264's internal LVAF for decoding" is checked in the Setup screen. In fact, you probably should just turn this on the first time and leave it on all the time. It can be difficult for newbies to understand if they have interlaced VC-1 video when they encounter an error. When you first start the program and open your rip with it, if a video stream shows up as VC-1 and it has a frame rate of 25 fps or 29.97 fps, then you have interlaced VC-1. VC-1 seems to be more common in North America than Europe and it's not even common here, but it is sometimes used. Progressive VC-1 (24 fps) is fine for BDRebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    if i wanted to "backup" a 50gb BD to 25gb, the video would be the last part i would touch.

rip the BD50 and look in the folder BDMV\STREAM and look at all the files in there. the biggest file is the main movie, if you find that it's under 25gb, you're done, that's the main movie all you need to do is use a blu-ray authoring program to recreate the BD structure with just the main movie, no re-encoding needed.

if you find that the main movie is bigger than 25gb investigate the audio portion, see if their are multiple audio streams, i've seen blu-rays with uncompressed audio along with high quality compressed audio in multiple languages, sometimes demuxing the elementary streams and only keeping the one audio stream in a good quality compressed format, in addition to removing all the extras will be enough to get you under the 25gb limit.

only if this isn't sufficient should you think about re-encoding the video and even then i would seriously consider simply investing in some BD50 media and doing a proper "backup".

if you do decide to re-encode, don't be cheap with the bit rate, calculate how much is needed to get you under the 25gb barrier and use the maximum possible. in order to maintain as much quality as possible when re-encoding to a lower bit rate consider possibly going to a slightly lower blu-ray legal resolution, for instance if the main movie is 1920x1080 and you calculate that you need to go from 30mb/s to 20mb/s in order to get in order to be under 25gb, consider going to 1440x1080 at 20mb/s instead of sticking with 1920x1080, in order to stay as close as possible to the original pixel/bit rate ratio of the original blu-ray.

and whatever you do don't allow yourself to believe any talk of some "magical" encoder that can give you the same quality as the original blu-ray at some insanely low bit rate, i know you will hear talk from some that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a video editing suite that will swear up and down that encoder X is capable of re-encoding your blu-ray at something silly like 8mb/s with the exact same quality, without sounding like a broken record just remember f it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

good video takes practice, and lots of trial and error, and even worse the settings that will produce acceptable quality with one source will produce garbage with another.

the only way you can hope to avoid that is to throw as much bit rate as possible at the encode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So I just tried some of the methods advised here.

1. Used ANYDVD HD to create ISO.
    2. Opened BD REBUILDER - Mode -> Full Backup
    3. Settings -> Output Options - BD25
    4. Settings -> Encoder Settings -> High Priority & High speed option BD25.
    5. Mounted ISO to Virtual drive and added as the source
    6. Selected Output on BD REBUILDER and clicked BACKUP.

Then the problems started...

It started extracting the audio stream however then said "FAILED TO ENCODE VIDEO" and stopped.

Any help?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Right click on BD_RB executable and select Run As Administrator. It has to configure FFDshow.
    Post the results of INSPECT.exe --- Help > Inspect (Show Settings)
    Quote Quote  
  11. [03/12/14] Checking System Settings
    - BD-Rebuilder v0.46.14 (beta)
    - Windows Version: 6.1 [7600]
    - Working Path Free Space: 159.31GB
    - AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, Ok
    - HAALI Splitter: Not installed
    - FFDSHOW: 4530, not recommended version
    - WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
    - WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
    - WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
    - FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
    - FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
    - FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
    - AnyDVD settings check: Ok.
    - X264: Ok
    - AFTEN: Ok
    - FAAC: Ok
    - WAVI: Ok
    - TSMUXER: Ok
    - FRIMEncode: Ok
    - FRIMDecode: Ok
    [03/12/14] Systems Settings Check complete
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Fix Haali and FFDshow
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm confused what I need to fix? I have downloaded both of them and run them from the links on this site... still says:

- HAALI Splitter: Isn't recommended version
    - FFDSHOW: 4530, not recommended version

Anyone have the links to the correct versions if possible?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Many thanks - I have fixed the issues and rebooted and showing all as OK.

I shall do the same method now and report back.
    Quote Quote