VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, in which order to use "resize" and "textsub"? I just need those two and couldn't find the answer anywhere, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Usually resize first, but it depends on what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to maintain the ascpect ratio and to hardcode the subs. Did it in that order, the vid looks nice, thanks again.

I have another question about the subs now, will ask in another subforum
    Quote Quote  
  4. Resize should be one of the last operation (if not last at all) - from text rendering can be seen as full scene antialiasing (FSAA) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_anti-aliasing#Super_sampling_.2F_full-scene_anti-aliasing .

Only one cons is related to this - overall performance issues (more memory and more CPU cycles required) - however for highest quality this principle seem to be absolute must.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't actually resize. As said, I set all the options in the resize filter to maintain the original DAR in order to make sure Virtualdub doesn't change anything because without the resize filter it kept changing the AR, I guess 'cause of that old DVD AR 5:4 story.
    Last edited by kodec; 12th Mar 2014 at 04:27.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, know i understand exactly (read also your second topic about aspect ratio in subtitle) - issue is that in this topic you have 2 resize oprations not one - for example resize from 720x576 to 1024x576 then overlay subtitle to have correct aspect on display then resize back to 720x576.

Also you can use for example Avisynth, create fake video 1024x576 (or rather smaller like 288 or even less), place subtitle in this video, resize this 1024x576 to 720x576 and lather with help overlay compose both (subtitle and video) as new video to avoid resizing original video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Whether you should resize first or add subs first depends on the situation. If you render subs to a 1920x1080 frame then resize to 640x360 the subs may become too small to read. If you render subs to a 640x360 frame then resize to 1920x1080 the sub will be gigantic and may display aliasing artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Whether you should resize first or add subs first depends on the situation. If you render subs to a 1920x1080 frame then resize to 640x360 the subs may become too small to read. If you render subs to a 640x360 frame then resize to 1920x1080 the sub will be gigantic and may display aliasing artifacts.
    Nope - size will be the same (as display size is independent from incoming resolution - your tv not changing size in relation to channel you watching - SD or HD) but resolution will be lower.
    For higher resolution usually bigger fonts are used to increase overall quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    For higher resolution usually bigger fonts are used to increase overall quality.
    "Usually". But I just checked, TextSub in VirtualDub does scale the text to the frame size.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    "Usually". But I just checked, TextSub in VirtualDub does scale the text to the frame size.
    And this can't be changed? I mean font size is fixed?

(btw im using ffdshow subtitle plugin functionality - not original vobsub)
    Last edited by pandy; 12th Mar 2014 at 09:08.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Turned out I didn't need the resize filter at all. I have tried doing the job without it by just changing the Xvid settings in PAR from the default to "16:9 PAL" and using only the subs filter; it all went well. My fault I didn't try it before asking but this is my first time doing such thing with Vdub, sorry
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And this can't be changed? I mean font size is fixed?

(btw im using ffdshow subtitle plugin functionality - not original vobsub)
    Yes, the text is always automatically scaled using the textsub filter, just trying it the last few days, no worries about subs becoming gigantic or too small, it works just fine, even surprisingly fine for a beginner like myself Ok, there is the font streching problem in 16:9 but I have solved it to my satisfaction by using a narrow type of the font I like.
    Quote Quote