VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Maybe I am getting confused but I am wondering about how video files are played back on my laptop compared to my DVD player.

When connecting my Sky box to the TV I can choose between RGB, composite (but the Sky box just says PAL), and S-Video. This makes a difference to picture quality with RGB being superior. This has got me wondering though. If you play a video file through eg. VLC media player then is this video playing in RGB or is it playing in composite quality on my laptop screen?

Is RGB, composite etc. purely the way in which you choose the information to be transmitted from your eg. Sky box to the TV via the SCART cable but on a laptop this is not relevant because the signal is transmitted through the internal mechanism of your laptop?

I'm confused so any information on this would be gratefully received - thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I will not even attempt to explain color-space to you.

But when the video is displayed on your monitor it is RGB

Composite is an analogue transmission standard and has nothing to do with PC displays.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JonVic View Post
    If you play a video file through eg. VLC media player then is this video playing in RGB or is it playing in composite quality on my laptop screen?
    RGB.

Originally Posted by JonVic View Post
    Is RGB, composite etc. purely the way in which you choose the information to be transmitted from your eg. Sky box to the TV via the SCART cable
    As far as SCART is concerned it's how the video is transmitted over the cable.

Originally Posted by JonVic View Post
    but on a laptop this is not relevant because the signal is transmitted through the internal mechanism of your laptop?
    That is correct.
    Quote Quote