VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess we have to start use screen recorders to copy/convert our dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ah, the storm is upon us. Got here faster than i thought it would.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It will be easy to get dvdfab cause they can't block every site that hosts the downloads.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. They can put pressure on those sites to regard it as illegal software...sales points dwindle fast.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It seems they are out of their mind and also preventing a legal backup of purchased DVD or BD.
    We also should give industry a nice reply either by not watching movies in a theater, or by not purchasing any DVD or BD.
    Let them produce and watch by themselves. This industry survived well because of viewer's and buyer's money in Millions!
    I by myself alone contribute more than U$ 2000/- annually to the this ****ing industry by watching movie in a theater or purchasing various BDs or DVDs. And all LA PEG LA employees get paid their salaries because of us.

Collectively once they got our plentiful money, they started ****ing around us, rather than saluting us!
    Collectively we can make them begging to us!

Whenever you come across any video which is illegally hosted on video streaming websites, post a link and discuss it here openly.
    Collectively we have to get rid of ALL, i mean and repeat all illegally hosted videos.
    Last edited by enim; 10th Mar 2014 at 16:15.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    With the current political climate, the AACS LA may have a much harder time targeting MakeMKV, since that program is developed in Russia. And MakeMKV is still free to use.

If DVDFab really does get shut down, it might be a good time to take MakeMKV out of beta though, and start charging for the Blu-ray decryption.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Here is a better explanation of how DVDFab was blocked: http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-court-orders-seizure-dvdfab-domain-names-funds-140310/

Time to stop using .com, .us and .net domains.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If DVDFab really does get shut down, it might be a good time to take MakeMKV out of beta though, and start charging for the Blu-ray decryption.
    Hunters will start hunting something else.

It is better to keep Hunters busy in all possible directions, all over places around the globes, let them bleed , let them float money all over places, and finally....
    Hunt the hunters down!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Since the plaintiff is AACS LA LCC this must be over the Blu-ray decryption function of DVDFab. Like with the Pirate Bay, this will just be a game of whack-a-mole.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Time to stop using .com, .us and .net domains.
    -agreed.
    Stop using and buying, both, in short.

this will just be a game of whack-a-mole.
    It is neccessary, and with a higher level of difficulties on every next pop-ups.
    Last edited by enim; 10th Mar 2014 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  11. China blocks a lot of websites; USA blocks a lot of websites. You can use a VPN (virtual private network) to access blocked websites.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Since the plaintiff is AACS LA LCC this must be over the Blu-ray decryption function of DVDFab. Like with the Pirate Bay, this will just be a game of whack-a-mole.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's a means to an end. A way to get the authorities to recognize DRM as a legitimate protection and set a precedent in law which prevents people bypassing such methods. I half expect CSS to be brought back to the fore if this action is successful, since it can be argued that any content protection system should be recognized by Law and that any future protection method is to be automatically enshrined as untouchable, not to be reverse-engineered or circumvented by any means, in perpetuity.

Slap a $20000 fine in there and a 10 year jail sentence, and even the act of home backup becomes a subject of taboo.

That court Order is very open to interpretation. Clause 6 is effectively a 'gagging order' preventing social media, search providers (possible even sites like VideoHelp in the future) providing links, or even description, of what DVDFab is/does.

This is about as Draconian as it gets. Then there's the censorship issue, as it's not about a lawsuit for copyright infringement, but a means to erase a company (name, product, an all) from the Internet simply because a larger monopoly are intent on keeping an outdated business model.

In less than a week, DVDFab will have the majority of payment services closed to them. There is no point continuing a business that has little or no means of handling money. A VPN is not effective if it is forbidden for sites to publish an ever-changing address. Effectively, they will soon have to cease to trade or fight this Order. Either way they could very quickly go bankrupt.

It saddens me to say it but, I can see DVDFab withdrawing from this arena sooner rather than later.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't copy movies, too much work; I let somebody else do that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. even the act of home backup becomes a subject of taboo.
    Before I purchase a next BD, I would ensure manufacturer's life-time replacement guaranty.
    And I would be replacing same disks over and over everyday.

Long back, I did same with cinavia protected BDs before, I purchased and backed-up then returned as they were not compatible with my choices of players. I did not loss even a single penny. But, surely they did int terms of paying for cinavia, manufacturing and all other related cost. What do you think any one gonna pay for opened and used once disks? If I was provided with manufacturer's life-time guaranty for replacement, I would rather decided to pay for and keep them in my collections.

If they think they are smart, I always let them.
    Last edited by enim; 10th Mar 2014 at 18:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The larger monopoly will always win simply because it had the financial clout to convince the courts.

Now I must confess that I do find the term 'fair use' a bit baffling. Is that set out in law or simply by convention ?

So while it may be 'legal' to make a copy of something for your own use, if the tool you use is itself doing something illegal then you are also breaking the law by using it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is scary.

So will realtime dubbing with hdcp strippers be the only recourse in the future if this goes nuclear?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  17. yoday313

welcome back??? guess never gone.

Collectively make these nuts enough crazy so they start rolling their own balls every where.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim
    welcome back??? guess never gone.
    Thanks. But actually I never said I was leaving, just not staying as much.

Guess you didn't see my nexus 7 and hdpvr rocket posts over the weekend.

But yeah are hdcp strippers going to be the only way to go? What about dubbing dts though? Is that possible at all? Surely not dts-ma though right?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Guess you didn't see my nexus 7 and hdpvr rocket posts over the weekend.
    over past few days I was busy with battalion of kid artists, preparing for a community show, in which 8 yrs old kid blown minds with drums and 6 yrs old one blown ears with Zither yesterday. They were just so good, just amazing.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The larger monopoly will always win simply because it had the financial clout to convince the courts.
    DVDFab didn't even show up in court. Of course, they couldn't afford to since AACS has the backing of several of the worlds biggest companies, including Intel, Microsoft, Disney, etc.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Now I must confess that I do find the term 'fair use' a bit baffling. Is that set out in law or simply by convention ?
    It's defined in law.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Backup of DVD and Blu-ray discs is not considered fair use at this time.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So while it may be 'legal' to make a copy of something for your own use, if the tool you use is itself doing something illegal then you are also breaking the law by using it.
    If backing up your discs was legal, yes, you would still not be allowed to have the tools. The DMCA makes it illegal to bypass encryption.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Mar 2014 at 18:44.
    Quote Quote  
  21. DVDFab didn't even show up in court.
    I would be rather happy, if judge got enough to buy cakes for family members and to pay taxi fare.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Money does matter, when it comes to a business deal!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Unfortunately, I noticed BD I just bought today is having minor crack, and I am decided not to have it any more.
    Should I ask for refund?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As long as you didn't crack it return it right away.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo

Thanks for the input but I am even more confused now.

Whilst I can understand the general definition of 'fair use' as described in the statute- something I am somewhat subconsciously aware of when I copy part of a book in a library towards my research (each library having a different rule as to how much I can copy) - this website states its legality on the 'right' to backup your self-owned material AND/OR the 'right' to convert that backup to a different format.

So are these 'rights' somewhat misguided ?
    Quote Quote  
  25. This is where people are under a misapprehension: you don't own a DVD or Blu-ray. When you purchase them you only buy a license to view them in your own home, on an authorized (now Cinavia infected) player. Always check the small print. Format shifting (fair use, even backup) is moot since no-one is supposed to or is allowed to circumvent DRM. A license or waiver (permission) should be requested even for clips (to prevent the inevitable 'take down' notice).

From day one, the monopoly had a 'right' to take back 'their' property (revoking your license to view) by law.

You have the right to expect everyone to remain silent (while you watch the movie). That's about it. Enjoy the popcorn.
    Quote Quote  
  26. This is where people are under a misapprehension: you don't own a DVD or Blu-ray. When you purchase them you only buy a license to view them in your own home, on an authorized (now Cinavia infected) player. Always check the small print. Format shifting (fair use, even backup) is moot since no-one is supposed to or is allowed to circumvent DRM. A license or waiver (permission) should be requested even for clips (to prevent the inevitable 'take down' notice).
    Does this apply equally to video streaming sites as well?
    or just to the uploaders to the video streaming sites?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    this website states its legality on the 'right' to backup your self-owned material AND/OR the 'right' to convert that backup to a different format.

So are these 'rights' somewhat misguided ?
    This site has its own opinions.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    This is where people are under a misapprehension: you don't own a DVD or Blu-ray. When you purchase them you only buy a license to view them in your own home, on an authorized (now Cinavia infected) player. Always check the small print. Format shifting (fair use, even backup) is moot since no-one is supposed to or is allowed to circumvent DRM. A license or waiver (permission) should be requested even for clips (to prevent the inevitable 'take down' notice).
    Does this apply equally to video streaming sites as well?
    Read the site's terms of service.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally posted by johns0
    As long as you didn't crack it return it right away.
    Just rushed-out and returned before 11, and got full-amount refunded.
    Someone Somewhere has to start.
    Last edited by enim; 10th Mar 2014 at 21:02.
    Quote Quote