VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    They have split the program. Blufab has no decryption, and I'm not sure it will ever succeed. Why would you want an inferior conversion program?

DVDFab (in all its variations) is the same as it ever was, with the exception that no one in the US can purchase it at the present time. Don't know how long that will be true.
    By "split", you mean that DVDFab no longer contains any BR functionality ? But the last current version prior to this all hitting the fan (91xx) did ? If that's correct, folks should grab that last version.

As I mentioned, I'm still using v. 80xx -- far from current, but I haven't run into anything it couldn't handle. Then again, I'm not a heavy user of the program . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    They have split the program. Blufab has no decryption, and I'm not sure it will ever succeed. Why would you want an inferior conversion program?

DVDFab (in all its variations) is the same as it ever was, with the exception that no one in the US can purchase it at the present time. Don't know how long that will be true.
    By "split", you mean that DVDFab no longer contains any BR functionality ? But the last current version prior to this all hitting the fan (91xx) did ? If that's correct, folks should grab that last version.

As I mentioned, I'm still using v. 80xx -- far from current, but I haven't run into anything it couldn't handle. Then again, I'm not a heavy user of the program . . . .
    No, by split I mean that they are offering a version of their programs without decryption under the name BluFab, which should eventually be available for sale to everyone. Right now their sales are suspended. BluFab should work with Blu-ray and DVD's, as long as they are not encrypted. However, I think the first version of BluFab still had decryption...9.1.3.5, but it is no longer available for download.

The DVDFab programs continue as they always have, but are not for sale to US citizens.
    Quote Quote  
  3. F*ck the MPAA!
    The greedy a$$holes think they run the world.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't kept up with every post in this thread but I was able to update my anydvdhd last night (I bought the lifetime upgrade version a few years ago before they went to a subscription model).

It's strange I can still go to the main site and the pay page:

http://www.anydvd.com/en/purchase.html
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post

Why would you think it strange?

SlySoft isn't in any way, shape or form related to DVDFab, or as I like to call it, DVDCrap.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post

Why would you think it strange?

SlySoft isn't in any way, shape or form related to DVDFab, or as I like to call it, DVDCrap.
    Because SlySoft was also ordered to stop distributing their product.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Because SlySoft was also ordered to stop distributing their product.
    Where did you hear that?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    It was more of copyright laws.
    Oh that(!).
    I wouldn't worry about that.

I almost forgot, God Bless America
    Last edited by mike20021969; 30th Mar 2014 at 13:28.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    SlySoft is continuing to update their programs as we speak and their website is still up.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    SlySoft is continuing to update their programs as we speak and their website is still up.
    Yes. It's full steam ahead and business as usual.

Similar for DVDCrap aswell.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I guess we have to start use screen recorders to copy/convert our dvds.
    Whatever they do, they ignore customer's need, they only just dumping money into useless stuff.

They should ask themselves. Why their plan failed?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have asked myself: Why now? Why the crackdown on decrypters now? Why not when the DMCA was passed years ago?

If I may speculate:

Perhaps it has something to do with the forthcoming UHD/4K optical media format. As I understand it, the specs are in the process of being worked out and finalized. Content providers don't want the new format readily copyable, surely. Like DVD and Blu-Ray. It's obvious by now that no encryption method is going to be secure against those few with the knowledge and *incentive* to break it.

I suspect some assurance is required that the new format will be secure before the content is made available. It's either that or proprietary servers only for UHD, like the Sony server. That would probably guarantee the format goes nowhere, or at best becomes niche.

So if those who specialize in developing/providing/updating decrypters can be run out of business (by making payment impossible), encryption can be effective. They aren't going to do it for nothing, and the vast majority would have no hope of breaking copy protection otherwise.

Again, this is just speculation.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    If I may speculate:
    That's as good a theory as any I've heard on this.
    But I still have to ask certain questions. (Finally happened to see a closed-circuit 4K display in a brick & mortar. I think it was from Samsung rather than Sony, though that probably matters little.)

Where is all the broadcast bandwidth that would be needed supposed to come from ? I mean, isn't the existing bandwidth already considerably overstretched ? Otherwise, we would not hear any mention of compression artifacts, special deals between Netflix and Comcast, and the like.

Where is the big consumer market for a lot more big bucks gear supposed to be coming from ? (Or maybe I just see or know a whole lot of folks who are still struggling to make ends meet, in an economy that never truly recovered, and which does not suggest a particularly rosy future . . . . )

Besides that, the improvements of 4K over 1080p look to me to be in the "marginal" category. More of an improvement than BR can be over DVD (not necessarily is, depending on other factors), which I still place in the 15 % to 25 % region. Not what I'd call a huge or "must have" difference, though.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Besides that, the improvements of 4K over 1080p look to me to be in the "marginal" category. More of an improvement than BR can be over DVD (not necessarily is, depending on other factors), which I still place in the 15 % to 25 % region. Not what I'd call a huge or "must have" difference, though.
    Roger on the economy. We're doing okay, but not feeling prosperous enough to blow a lot of dough on all new equipment. What, and replace all those movies...again?

We have no plans to upgrade any time soon. (I don't see it as a "must have" either). Though if you find yourself in the market for a *big* new TV a few years from now it's probable it will be UHD. As I understand it, the added cost will be minimal once production has ramped up.

Content is the thing. I don't see how UHD can be streamed reliably over existing infrastructure, apart from a few demo channels. (Doesn't YouTube have a little UHD content now?). Broadcast or cable? Ha, lots of channels are still 720p. So that leaves a UHD/4k optical format. Will enough folks ante up for that? I dunno. I'm thinking I'd need at least an 84" UHDTV at my viewing distance (I have a 70" 1080p HDTV now) to see the benefit of UHD.

To me the most noticeable quality jump (as to resolution) is between 480i and 720p. 720p to 1080i/p less so. Then again, I have a few BDs that were poorly done, and might have saved the money replacing the DVDs of those movies with Blu-Rays. The really good Blu-Rays are terrific though.

Anyway, to get back on topic, there's still MakeMKV. And anyone who has not already done so should get the last version of DVDFabPasskey. It will still work after the trial period and can be run in the background while you extract main movie with Clown_BD. I did that for ~ 2 years with updates turned off in Passkey (just to see) before I had to update.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 6th Apr 2014 at 18:12.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hollywood has little to lose in making some content available in UHD. With the exception of Sony, the studios aren't in the hardware business so if it fails, it's no loss to them. Worst case they'll have UHD masters that can be used in the future either to make BDs from or if UHD catches on later, they're ready.

The hardware manufacturers really don't understand their markets very well and maybe they never have. They're just used to people buying things en masse without any thought (ie. the original TVs in the 1950s, VCRs, DVD players). There's nothing even remotely rational about this UHD plan or how it's going to be supported (bandwidth, new BD format to hold the data requiring new players, possible lack of content in the beginning that may slow adoption by consumers) but the hardware manufacturers have tried before to sell things that most people didn't want. Remember, not that long ago there was the HD-DVD vs. BD wars that no consumer wanted and neither of the major backers of each format wanted, but the backers (Toshiba for HD-DVD and Sony for BD) weren't willing to give in to stop it either, leading to the war of attrition that Sony finally won by demonstrating a willingness to spend literally whatever it cost to kill HD-DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I saw a demo of a Samsung UHD/4k monitor at Best Buy this weekend, and I was both impressed and unimpressed.

Impressed, because you couldn't see the pixel origins/outlines, even from less than 5 feet away! V*E*R*Y smooth. I like.

Unimpressed, because it was clear that BB was using some "4k Demo" that was an upconvert AND it was badly compressed to begin with and (probably BB's fault, not the production company's) artificially contrasty.

This just points out the problems that they are face with: Each level of technological quality relies on a support team of infrastructural resources and it is confounded by tight economics and a fickle target market. The whole "chicken & egg" upward spiral vs. downward spiral, all over again. The lack of content is prime in this equation, but then there is also lack of standards & compatibility, lack of production-chain tools, lack of consumer-chain-tools, and lack of content distribution channels. It has to be the whole package.

Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again: the overall success or failure of any new media technology is intrinsically linked to mass access to it. Not just as passive consumers, but also as producers (and even re-producers or re-sumers). Attempts to stifle the means to assimilate and re-utilize the medium just dooms it to niche status (witness DAT, DVD-Audio, SACD, etc).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 9th Apr 2014 at 13:59.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thought I'd post this here rather than starting a new thread. It seems that dvdfab is finally fighting back.

http://torrentfreak.com/us-copyright-law-doesnt-apply-worldwidedvd-ripper-tells-court-140424/

I definitely recommend that everyone reads it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ANYTHING can happen in a US court, including having judges literally make up the law out of thin air to support their rulings. But that doesn't mean that anything WILL happen.

I'm not a lawyer. My best friend is and he's taught me a lot about how things really work. I'm not sure that DVDFab can now say "Uh, we actually do want to fight this now that you ruled against me" unless they can come up with a really justified reason for why it was impossible for them to show up earlier in court AND have the court accept that. You generally don't get to skip court and then get another chance when the default verdict goes against you. And their argument is HIGHLY unlikely to hold water in a US court as I'm not convinced (again I am NOT a lawyer) that in the original case the plantiffs argued worldwide application of US copyright law. The original case should be quite good to stand as a "US only" type of legal challenge against DVDFab. Many developed nations have tried to apply their local laws outside their borders and had their nation's own courts support this, so even if DVDFab makes its point that this is trying to apply US copyright law on a worldwide scale, there is some chance a US based court may not care at all or have a problem with it. I would not bet anything I cared about losing that DVDFab will have success with this approach.
    Quote Quote  
  20. AACS won a preliminary injunction, not a fully adjudicated trial. Ie, in the pre-trial hearing the AACS convinced the judge that they are likely to win the future court case -- so sanctions should be applied now. Since DVDFab didn't show up for the hearing the judge sided with AACS. The full trial is, presumably, still to come.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good old USA, I'm from the USA and I really believe most judges and politicians are crooked, Your hearing of a crooked politicain or judge getting caught all the time, As far as the movie industry goes all they have to do is write a check out to one of the politicians for their campaign because they have the money to do it, It would be really nice for a change if someone would really mind their own business and stop all this suing for a quick buck, And for the crooked government to worry about important things like jobs, health insurance, schools and the rest of the population not just cater to the rich.
    Quote Quote  
  22. DVDFab release new version DVDFab 9.1.4.5
    Maybe MPEG LA already ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzz!

No matter how many downturns North American economy takes, but Chinese economy always at positive swing. That's really what makes me envy.

Oye ALA, LA PEG LA
    Now getting really drunk....
    F***U MPEG LA & all US capitalism LAWS that makes layman's life miserable even in homeland.
    Last edited by enim; 14th May 2014 at 16:22.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Just went and downloaded the latest AnyDVD. Haven't updated it in a while. I guess NOW is a good time.
    Any Dvd sucks use DVDfab platinum it still works.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by rayboy123 View Post
    ...use DVDfab platinum it still works.
    If you in USA:
    Download the latest DVDFab 9.x.x.x NON US version using a VPN or Tor-Browser at:
    www.dvdfab.cn/

Best Use:
    Just for ripping.

How to keep it working after the Free-trial expire:
    Check my last post as Mrguss:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/i-need-something-like-dvdfab.747844/#post-5031346

Good Luck.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 24th Jan 2015 at 16:41.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV is still free....
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the plaintiff is AACS LA LCC, and the US version does not circumvent AACS, why is this going on?
    Quote Quote  
  27. I like MakeMKV
    It's replacing AnyDVD & DVDFab at once.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use a VPN, I'm able to get to http://www.dvdfab.cn/ and I just updated my Gold version.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote