VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I have a SONY RDRGX350 DVD Recorder 1080p upscaling. I'm trying to figure out how to set up the recorder to a HD TV for recording purposes. You can see the DVD Recorder specifications clicking on link.

The TV has the built in freeview by the way. I do however have a external freeview box (Not a HD box)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-RDRGX350B-CEK-RDRGX350B-DVD-Recorder/dp/B000TJFTIU

Can anyone advise me how to setup?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That price is absolutely insane for a model no longer being manufactured. Even in America when we go through periodic rumors of DVD recorders being discontinued, I haven't heard of that kind of price. Is there a reason why you think you need to buy this model instead of something cheaper and still being made?

The general approach is to connect cables from your TV source, NOT your TV itself but the TV video source (ie. satellite box, cable box, etc.), to the DVD recorder. Connections may be made by component video or old style composite video, coax cable or maybe even HDMI, depending on what the recorder supports and what the TV video source box supports.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For 1080p upscaling you connect the recorder to a tv with a hdmi cable but.....

You can not use this recorder to record HD broadcasts in HD. DVD is SD (Standard Definition) so your recording definition is 576i/p

If you have a $ky HD box you can connect that to the recorder with a scart lead and thus record a SD signal of the HD transmission.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replies.

DB83 wrote:

For 1080p upscaling you connect the recorder to a tv with a hdmi cable but.....

You can not use this recorder to record HD broadcasts in HD. DVD is SD (Standard Definition) so your recording definition is 576i/p

If you have a $ky HD box you can connect that to the recorder with a scart lead and thus record a SD signal of the HD transmission.

Will i be able to run a external Freeview box, DVD recorder through TV for recording purposes? If so, could you please write me a stage by stage guide?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean Freeview Box >> DVDRecorder >> TV ?

Is the Freeview HD ?
    What connections are on the box, scart etc. ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DB83 wrot:

Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean Freeview Box >> DVDRecorder >> TV ?

Is the Freeview HD ?
    What connections are on the box, scart etc. ?
    The freeview box is not HD

DVD recorder rear - Double click on picture.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6/20130314165750.jpg

Connecting the external Freeview box and DVD recorder through tv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not concerned about the DVD recorder - I have a similar model so I know what connections that has.

I asked what connections are on the freeview box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. This is not exactly Rocket Science.

You need a scart cable. To avoid possible disappointment ensure that this cable is 'Fully Wired' (not all scart cables are)
    1. Connect one end of the scart to the Aux connection on the Grundig.
    2. Connect the other end to the 'Line 1' connection on the dvd-recorder - that is the top connector.
    3. Plug one end of your hdmi cable in to the 'hdmi out' on the recorder
    4. Plug the other end of the hdmi cable in to your HDTV
    5. Set the input on the dvd-recorder to 'Line 1'
    6. Set your tv input(sometimes shown as 'source' on the remote) to the hdmi that you plugged in the cable (If you only have one hdmi on the tv then just select hdmi
    7. Turn on the recorder and the freeview box and you should now see the freeview picture.
    8. To record just ensure that 'Line 1' is selected

Note: The dvd-recorder MUST be switched on even if you are not recording otherwise you will just get a blank screen.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Teac23 - My apologies. I was in a bit of a hurry and I thought you were looking to buy. I missed that you already have this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for late reply.

No worries jman98, thanks anyway.

Thanks DB83 for all your help, much appreciated. Now all up and running.
    Quote Quote