VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just trying to make sense of this - I've ripped dozens of DVDs and Blurays with handbrake, and it's relatively fast - approx. 1-2 hours per DVD on my modest machine (obviously there are many variables that affect the total time). In general, I've been accepting the default (high) profile settings, which on the audio tab tends to create two audio tracks from the 'English (AC3) (2.0 ch)' source - one AAC 'mixdown' to DPL track, and one 'AC3 Passthru' track.

Recently, I figured I'd select ALL (English) audio tracks for increased compatibility with whatever devices and sound systems I have in the future, so I've been adding the 'English (AC3) (5.1ch)' and 'English (DTS) (5.1ch)' audio tracks, and selecting 'Auto Passthru' as the codec. To my understanding, this simply means, copy the source audio to the output without any processing, which I would expect to be relatively fast. But taking these actions more than doubles the processing time. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the biggest time sink for this process was the video transcoding, so I'm surprised that an audio 'passthru' action would increase the time so much. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote