VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm on a Mac Pro 12GB Ram latest Mavericks and Toast 11.0.4
    When I take a mpeg4 movie into Toast it takes over 27hr.s to encode it. Not Blue Ray just a DVD Video. I tried Turbo.264 HD and is much faster but the moved is still not very sharp. How can I keep as close as possible as the MPEG4 look that I see on My Mac.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by offtheroad View Post
    I'm on a Mac Pro 12GB Ram latest Mavericks and Toast 11.0.4
    When I take a mpeg4 movie into Toast it takes over 27hr.s to encode it. Not Blue Ray just a DVD Video. I tried Turbo.264 HD and is much faster but the moved is still not very sharp. How can I keep as close as possible as the MPEG4 look that I see on My Mac.
    DVD isn't "mpeg4".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You've got me confused. Are you converting to DVD format or to MPEG4, H.264 format?

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the speedy reply. OK and I realize on my Mac I preview it in quickTime so how can I make as sharp as possible DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have some movies that are mp4 and want to make DVD's that I can watch on my TV but when I take the mp4 into toast and say make DVD it's starts encoding and thats the issue, the length of time. I found this app Turbo.264 HD and tried it and it is much faster but quality is still low, at least on my Mac
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Any time you re-encode, you will have quality loss. If you are re-encoding a HD or even high quality MPEG4 to MPEG2/ DVD format, you can't do much more than max out the bitrate for the media size. You have two choices with a DVD disc, either 4.37GB single layer or 7.95GB dual layer.

27 hours seems an extremely long time for an encode, even with a very old PC. It takes me about an hour to convert a HD 8GB MKV to DVD with ConvertXtoDVD on my PC. There seems to be a problem with your settings or your computer.

Since you are on a Mac and may have Mac specific questions, probably better to move this thread to our Mac Forum.

EDIT: Turbo.264 HD seems to convert to H.264, not the required MPEG2 needed for a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Toast is VERY slow for encoding. I used Visualhub in the past but these days I useMacX DVD Video Converter Pro Pack or Any DVD Converter. Much faster than toast. Don't use DVD if you want the best quality, it is only 720. I can watch HD MPEG4 on my xbox which is much better as you have found out.
    Quote Quote