VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have bought a Canon MG5350 which was refurbished, but when I print black ink onto DVD-R discs it comes out with slightly different shades of black and it looks like the print heads have left small square marks on the black areas. This leads to slightly different shades of black where there shouldn't be.

My question is whether inkjet printable discs that worked fine with the Pixma IP4000 printer would for some reason not work with the MG5350, or at least print black areas with blocky print where the print heads seem to be visible.

The discs were cheap discs I bought years ago. They seem to be πdta - (that symbolis the pi symbol in maths so it's 3.14) Pidata discs. If these are terrible discs can anyone recommend ones that work with the Pixma but are not too expensive. I used to manage well with discs on the cheaper side.

By the way, I have been out of the printing / media forums for a few years so have lost track. I used to sell my own discs and am trying to get back into it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry i still only use taiyo yuden or verbatim inkjet printable in my ip4000. never seemed worth while trying to save 10 cents a disc. the best were always the t.y./jvc watershield imo.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks man. I'm going to try Verbatim but I suspect the printer is printing bad. The only other thing could be the software for some reason sending the file to print with certain areas less clear, but that would not make sense. Other non-dark parts of the photo print to the disc perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does your printing software have an actual setting for your new printer? I recently replaced my Canon printer and the printing software I use (Acoustica) doesn't have an exact setting for my printer. The one I use is a model with a slightly different number (first 2 digits match but last 2 do not) and it works OK, but to be honest with you if I got slightly different shades of black in my output, I probably wouldn't care even a little bit. I might care about that square mark thing though. If you're having to use a setting for a different model printer, maybe it's not quite right for yours. Or it could be that the refurb guys didn't test printing to disc and just ran a few sheets through the printer to be sure that was OK.

I agree with aedipuss' suggestion and the Taiyo Yuden Watershield discs are so nice that I now don't buy anything else for single layer DVD.
    Quote Quote