VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I got my hdmi splitter/stripper today and I decided to buy a hdmi capture unit after all. I picked up the hdpvr rocket by hauppauge at best buy.

It works great with the stripper. The captures look perfect from every channel I've tried off of my dvr. However I CAN'T GET SURROUND SOUND!

I can record it beautifully with the hauppauge capture software but I only get stereo!

I have the audio out on the dvr set to SURROUND. It's the new comcast x1 dvr.

Is there any way to record 5.1 audio from the dvr to the pvr rocket?

Otherwise I'll have to take it back and get the elgato hd capture unit. My bestbuy doesn't have the hdpvr2, just the pocket.

If there is a way to get the 5.1 through hdmi on the rocket please let me know.

Oh and I did just upgrade its firmware to the latest available.

Please let me know if I need to take this back.

Oh and does the elgato game capture hd record in 5.1 audio through hdmi?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems doubtful that it can capture 5.1 audio. I couldn't find any information on the HDPVR Rocket's ability to capture 5.1 audio using its standard Windows software, so I did a search and found FAQs for the HDPVR Rocket at the HDPVR Capture website. (HDPVR Capture is OSX-compatible capture software for HDPVR products.) The FAQs indicated that only AACS stereo could be captured. http://www.hdpvrcapture.com/wordpress/?page_id=2

The Elgato HD capture can't capture 5.1 audio either, so there is no benefit to returning what you have unless you prefer Elgato's product for other reasons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It seems doubtful that it can capture 5.1 audio. I couldn't find any information on the HDPVR Rocket's ability to capture 5.1 audio using its standard Windows Software, so I did a search and found FAQs for the HDPVR Rocket at the HDPVR Capture website. (HDPVR Capture is OSX-compatible capture software for HDPVR products.) The FAQs indicated that only AACS stereo could be captured. http://www.hdpvrcapture.com/wordpress/?page_id=2

The Elgato HD capture can't capture 5.1 audio either, so there is no benefit to returning what you have unless you prefer Elgato's product for other reasons.
    Perfect just perfect.

Live and learn I guess.

I'll keep looking.

Is there any hacked firmware available yet? Can you use the hdpvr 2 software with the pocket or is it the same software? (can the hdpvr record 5.1 with just hdmi not the fiber optic connection?)

Thanks for checking usually_quiet.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. As far as I know, the only Hauppauge HDMI capture device that can capture 5.1 is the PVR 2 GE Plus:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2plus-gaming.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well fortunately I was able to return the hdpvr rocket without a hassle this morning.

I'll be ordering either the gaming plus edition or the standard hdpvr2. Those two have the 5.1 support.

Hopefully this time I'll get it right.

Fyi the dvr was outputting 5.1 as I tested the fiber optic out and it was 5.1. So the rocket just doesn't allow for 5.1 encoding from hdmi. Which is a shame as it's a perfect size and the idea of computer free capturing is a good one.

I'll post again when I do get my hdpvr 2 (or ge plus, whichever I decide on).

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the general rules on recording Dolby 5.1 on any Hauppauge device.

1) Your audio connection MUST be via optical cable.
    2) The source MUST be Dolby 5.1.

If either one of those is not true, you won't be able to record Dolby. I can't speak to what happens via HDMI connections as I have never tried that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You were wise to take it back.

I captured a good deal of content off Comcast with my original HD-PVR in 5.1 (via optical for the audio). Of course, a lot of shows were stereo anyway. Now that I've "cut the cord", I just wish more channels/content on my Roku had surround. HuluPlus in particular. Oh well, it will come.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    I just wish more channels/content on my Roku had surround.
    I live and die by vudu.

7.1 dd plus (of course I only have sd 5.1 but thats ok).

I'm surprised huluplus doesnt have 5.1.

Originally Posted by fritzi93
    You were wise to take it back.
    Yep I'm grateful I was able to.

Originally Posted by jman98
    1) Your audio connection MUST be via optical cable.
    2) The source MUST be Dolby 5.1.

If either one of those is not true, you won't be able to record Dolby. I can't speak to what happens via HDMI connections as I have never tried that.
    Thankfully the dvr does still have a fiber optic out.

So I'll be ordering shortly. I think I'll do ship to store. Best buy is right on my way home from work. I literally drive by it every night on the way home so I can just stop in and pick it up when it comes.

Thanks everyone.

I just figured it was hauppauge so it would be just like the original hdpvr. Oh well.

Edit - strangely enough the hdpvr 2 ge plus wasn't available for store pickup at bestbuy. I checked out gamestop instead but it didn't have store pickup either. So I decided on just buying it straight from gamestops website and it wlll be sent straight to me. I should have it by the end of the week.

This time I'll get it right.

Thanks.

oh and I made sure it is model 1504 which is the hdpvr 2 gaming edition plus model.
    Last edited by yoda313; 9th Mar 2014 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I got the hdpvr2 gaming edition plus 1504 today.

IT WORKS GREAT!!

Here is a media info of a test file I just finished with the optical out as the audio source and the hdmi as the video source from the hdmi splitter I bought (the 3d hdmi splitter that was recommended earlier):

0 (0x0)
    Complete name : D:\caps\HDPVR2_20140314_2029.ts
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 38.0 MiB
    Duration : 21s 313ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 14.9 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Duration : 21s 121ms
    Bit rate : 13.8 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 59.940 fps
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.249
    Stream size : 34.6 MiB (91%)
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 129
    Duration : 21s 345ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -654ms
    Stream size : 1 001 KiB (3%)

I FINALLY HAVE 5.1 AND HD VIDEO FROM MY NEW DVR!!!

This is great.

Two things I haven't figured out - it only seems to offer .ts captures and I don't know how to record 5.1 from hdmi only not just the fiber optic. I read a post earlier that ac3 over hdmi is possible (though I don't know if that means 5.1 or simply 2.0 ac3).

Also I thought it wasn't working because when I had the spdif as the input for the audio I didn't have any sound on my tv (my tv is my monitor for this computer - hdmi out on a nvidia graphics card). I don't know how to set the spdif input on the hdpvr2 ge to hdmi out so I can hear what I am recording.

So I have two needs now -

change to mp4 so long as 5.1 ac3 recording is still an option (for maximum playback options)

have sound playback over hdmi on the computer side while using fiber optic in as the audio source (fyi if hdmi is the audio source I hear it just fine over my tv which is connected via hdmi through my nvidia card).

So I'm nearly there. Thank you everyone.

--------------------------------------------

Fyi what is a copyright free program I could record and upload samples from?

Also I'm recording 720p right now. My dvr can do 480p, 720p and 1080i. I leave it on 720p and I think i am inclined to leave it there.

-------------------------------------------

Is the file above bluray ready?

---------------------------------------------

I am nearly 100% certain I'll pickup a bluray burner so I can record full quality and author blurays.
    I have been meaning to get one anyway for a large backup of data I have amassed over the years. - as insurance to external harddrives and some dvdrs I already have.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry far as I know of it not possible to capture DD 5.1 not even with a HDMI splitter do keep in mind is RAW wav not in an AC3 format over HDMI so only Optical will work as far I know of as the HD-PVR doesn't have a build-in DD 5.1 Encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    HDMI does support AC3 and DTS bitstreaming, in addition to the HD audio formats and uncompressed.

I was under the impression that the HD PVR 2 models with optical input can also record AC3 via HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    HDMI does support AC3 and DTS bitstreaming, in addition to the HD audio formats and uncompressed.

I was under the impression that the HD PVR 2 models with optical input can also record AC3 via HDMI.
    Yes I was able to do that. It was a spammer that resurrected the thread, not me. I returned the rocket and got the hdpvr 2 gaming edition and was able to get my 5.1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post

That my be true but you may need the right equipment for it to work like the ViewHD USA Model: VHD-H2HSAs or UK Model: VHD-H2HSAi in order to fake Audio EDID into 5.1 I my self have never try this as I just read about it and only way I have even been able to get it work is with a Optical Cables.
    HDMI is very stickily thing to deal with when at first it didn't have Digital Content Protection it was one of thing that pop up a bit to late if we had know what we know now back then we all be tell Intel, RIAA, MPAA and other to stick where the sun don't shine .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's been awhile since I've done any dubbing with my setup. I may have been using the fiber optic out from my cable dvr and the splitter to send the hdmi to the tv and the hdpvr 2. Honestly I haven't used it in awhile so I can't remember exactly.
    Quote Quote