VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I'm trying to capture the signal from the cable TV box I have with a Hauppauge HD PVR, but no success so far.

Here is the box I have:

And here is my connection, a Scart to Composite video, from the box to the HD PVR. What's wrong?

Last edited by alexvsc; 9th Mar 2014 at 09:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What's wrong? You tell us. Symptoms?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What's wrong? You tell us. Symptoms?
    PC - Working perfectly. An Asus K55VM-SX083V. All software and drivers installed.

HD PVR - working fine too, already tested with a Playstation 2, with the same method: composite out of the PS2 to the HD PVR (with this cord). The signal was captured with success.

Cable TV box - the problem could be here, but I don't think so. I've read some guys able to get the signal off the box via scart/composite.

I think the problem is the cord I'm using between the TV box and the HD PVR:

Because I'm not sure this cord even works. Is it possible that this cord only carries a signal from Composite TO Scart and not from Scart TO Composite? I think the problem could be this.
    To test if it worked, I connected the Scart side in the TV Out of the TV box, and the Composite side in the front panel of my TV, which has a Composite entrance, and it didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by alexvsc View Post
    Is it possible that this cord only carries a signal from Composite TO Scart and not from Scart TO Composite?
    Yes, that's possible. SCART uses separate pins for composite input and composite output. So there are different adapters for sending composite to a SCART device, and for getting composite output from a SCART device. Some adapters have a switch that allows them to be used either way.

Originally Posted by alexvsc View Post
    To test if it worked, I connected the Scart side in the TV Out of the TV box, and the Composite side in the front panel of my TV, which has a Composite entrance, and it didn't work.
    It's likely that you need the other type of SCART/composite adapter cable. But just to be sure, make sure your TV box doesn't have a setting that disables the SCART output. Also try removing any HDMI devices from the cable box -- some boxes won't output HDMI and analog at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Is it possible that this cord only carries a signal from Composite TO Scart and not from Scart TO Composite?
    Yes, that's possible. SCART uses separate pins for composite input and composite output. So there are different adapters for sending composite to a SCART device, and for getting composite output from a SCART device. Some adapters have a switch that allows them to be used either way.

It's likely that you need the other type of SCART/composite adapter cable. But just to be sure, make sure your TV box doesn't have a setting that disables the SCART output. Also try removing any HDMI devices from the cable box -- some boxes won't output HDMI and analog at the same time.
    The TV box has only Scart and RF outputs, no HDMI.
    I will get another Scart/composite cable. Will report here later. Thanks a lot for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. example of a bidirectional adapter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switchable-Scart-Phono-S-Video-Adaptor/dp/B0018DE4ZU/

By the way, try the s-video output if you can. It may provide better picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    example of a bidirectional adapter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switchable-Scart-Phono-S-Video-Adaptor/dp/B0018DE4ZU/

By the way, try the s-video output if you can. It may provide better picture quality.
    Will try that, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. It worked, new cable, problem solved! Thanks!

Now another problem, do you know how can I force the capture to 16:9, instead of 4:3?
    I could edit them after, in Sony Vegas, but I'm afraid the files lose quality in the process.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You could try remuxing to a container that supports AR flags and set the flags to 16:9. MMG, part of MkvToolnix for example. Or you can demux the h.264 track, use H264 AR Changer to change the existing flags in the h.264 stream, then remux with the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Now another problem, do you know how can I force the capture to 16:9, instead of 4:3?
    I could edit them after, in Sony Vegas, but I'm afraid the files lose quality in the process.
    From looking at your photo it seems that the HD PVR is correctly recording a full screen 4:3 image as 4:3. Hauppauge's devices aren't really set up to allow you to stretch standard definition 4:3 to 16:9. If you want a 16:9 recording then you need to have a 16:9 source. If you're good with AviSynth you could properly record it as 4:3 and then re-encode it to 16:9 after you crop some of the video to get it to 16:9. AviSynth will also happily let you just stretch it from 4:3 to 16:9 if you wish (ugh).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    From looking at your photo it seems that the HD PVR is correctly recording a full screen 4:3 image as 4:3. Hauppauge's devices aren't really set up to allow you to stretch standard definition 4:3 to 16:9. If you want a 16:9 recording then you need to have a 16:9 source. If you're good with AviSynth you could properly record it as 4:3 and then re-encode it to 16:9 after you crop some of the video to get it to 16:9. AviSynth will also happily let you just stretch it from 4:3 to 16:9 if you wish (ugh).
    That's want i want, to stretch the image to 16:9, because the source is in 16:9 (Eurosport), but as the signal comes via composite, i think it's set. auto in 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The HD PVR probably doesn't respond to the PAL widescreen flag in the analog signal. Or mabye the cable box isn't setting it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You could try remuxing to a container that supports AR flags and set the flags to 16:9. MMG, part of MkvToolnix for example. Or you can demux the h.264 track, use H264 AR Changer to change the existing flags in the h.264 stream, then remux with the audio.
    It worked, but I'm not sure what's the best container to use.
    Which one is the best: MKV, TS, MP4?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by alexvsc View Post
    It depends. If you need to play your videos on an AppleTV, PS3, or Xbox 360, use MP4. If you don't want to be bound by the dictates of Apple, Sony, and Microsoft, use MKV as it's generally more flexible and pretty well supported these days (I always use MKV now, all my players support it). If you're broadcasting video over the air use TS.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It depends. If you need to play your videos on an AppleTV, PS3, or Xbox 360, use MP4. If you don't want to be bound by the dictates of Apple, Sony, and Microsoft, use MKV as it's generally more flexible and pretty well supported these days (I always use MKV now, all my players support it). If you're broadcasting video over the air use TS.
    I'm concerned with Sony Vegas. I use the program a lot, and I can't directly import a .mkv file.
    Is there any loss of quality converting from mkv to ts and vice-versa (with mkvmerge and tsmuxer)??

Another issue: with mkverge i managed to convert from 4:3 to 16:9, but with tsmuxer I couldn't, the video remained in 4:3. What am I doing wrong?

Quote Quote  
  16. Can Vegas open your original files? If so, just change how Vegas interprets the source aspect ratio. I don't use Vegas but I seem to recall you right click on the video in the timeline then select Aspect Ratio, or Properties, or something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Can Vegas open your original files? If so, just change how Vegas interprets the source aspect ratio. I don't use Vegas but I seem to recall you right click on the video in the timeline then select Aspect Ratio, or Properties, or something like that.
    Yes, I can do that, but I would like to send some of my captures to other people who will just watch them in the players, not edit, so i need them in 16:9.

The problem is:
    1) if it's a .mkv, the AR is correct, but can't import to Vegas directly
    2)if it's a .ts, the AR is wrong (I'm not managing to change it to 16:9), but I can open it in Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I hate to suggest it, but MP4 supports aspect ratios.

If you demux the h.264 video you can try using H264 AR Changer to change all the AR flags in the stream -- if it has any. Unfortunately, it can't add AR flags if the stream doesn't already have them.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I hate to suggest it, but MP4 supports aspect ratios.

If you demux the h.264 video you can try using H264 AR Changer to change all the AR flags in the stream -- if it has any. Unfortunately, it can't add AR flags if the stream doesn't already have them.
    I think I will just stick with this:

1) capture in TS (can only capture in TS, MP4 and AVCHD)
    2) convert to MKV (but keep the TS one also)
    3) send MKV to the people I want (AR correct)
    4) import TS to Vegas when I want, and force to 16:9

Thanks for all the help, really! Very very useful!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Sounds workable.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Sounds workable.
    Is there any way to compress a mkv or ts file?
    I would like to reduce the size. The bitrate os the capture is already on the minimum allowed, 1,5 mbps.
    Quote Quote  
  22. TS files will compress by about 5 percent if you ZIP them. Otherwise, you have to reencode with a lower bitrate.
    Quote Quote