VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I'm trying to recreate a tutorial I found but since its author haven't posted any assets I have to find good ones myself. So I downloaded few versions of a smoke and was replacing them one after another to see how they fit. I have a layer that has to cover whole smoke image but since they have different sizes I have to adjust it for every smoke image I replace. I thought I could link properties from smoke image to my "layer modifier" but it doesn't work. Not even that I for some reason after few attempts to make it work have realized that even if I will set the same properties for both layers I get VERY different positions.

screen shot

What seams to be or could be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're using different size assets so they need different properties to match the comp or each other. Also, anchor points are usually layer center, but since it's not at all clear what you're trying to accomplish setting it to 0,0 in this case may make sense.

You may want to crack open the manual. It appears you are misunderstanding some very fundamental stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I thought that size in % relates to parent size so it is percent of original asset after all? Can it be set in pixels or relatively to parent or comp if in %?

What I want to achieve is even possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you trying to do? You haven't articulated that very well.

The preview shows that you have two images stacked, and out of frame, that's about it.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Mar 2014 at 20:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I want "White Solid 2" to set its width and height automatically when I replace "blue smoke.jpg" with other image to new image width and height. I actually don't know how to set a layer size exactly as other layer size other than RMB -> Transform -> Scale -> change units to pixels -> remember or write down values -> go to scale on other layer and paste them. There just must be a better way...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You make the layer hold the picture as a transalpha PNG format. And the layer merely references the PNG. Then you can refresh it to a new image anytime.

Use the layer's Transform and other tools to manipulate the smoke. You might have to keyframe that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    and thats the only way? To make the images I replace that image with this variation of PNG format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't quite understand you.

The layer can have a source image or texture in one of the settings.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Mar 2014 at 21:46.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Precompose it . In the precomp, the dimensions will be same as the original "smoke" . When swapping in different "smoke" assets in the precomp, CTRL+ALT+F will scale the new layer to the comp size . Also precomposing will often "fix" things whenever you get unintended results in AE

If that doesn't solve it, post a screenshot of what the original project should look like, or what the intended results were
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, you're it!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    ~budwzr: How to make two different assets for instance images the same size ( height and width ) ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orglee View Post
    ~budwzr: How to make two different assets for instance images the same size ( height and width ) ?
    Transform/Scale/Crop or PhoShop
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Great. And now is it possible to make it content dependent? I mean is it possible to set asset A. size based on assets B. size?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use AE. So I can only respond in general. You use the layer properties. Also, I don't get what you're trying to do. Are you trying to use an existing project file? And put your own elements in place of original?

I use a different software, so you need an AE user, like Sanlyn to respond.
    Last edited by budwzr; 9th Mar 2014 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Make a new comp from "asset A" . (e.g. drag "A" to the make new comp button) . This will make a comp the same dimensions as the asset A

Drag asset B into the asset A comp. WIth the layer B selected, push CTRL+ALT+F . This will scale layer B to asset A's comp size. You can "turn off" the visibility of original asset A layer (hit the eyeball) , thus only the re-scaled layer B shows . You can nest the "pre comp asset A" into another, final composition. Whenever switching asset B, or C or D, just add it to "asset A precomp" and hit CTRL+ALT+F to resize it . Turn of the visibility of the unwanted layers in the precomp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the OP wants to fit various smoke images into the area of the white rectangle automatically(procedurally)?
    Quote Quote