VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings! I'm new to the forum.

Before I decided to post this question I did a search. Much of the information was outdated so I thought to see if there is updated suggestions.

I'm interested in REMOVING offensive material from some of my DVDs as well as MP4 files (on my media center hard drive ripped using my old copy of DVDFab Platinum).

There is just so much information out there in Google search land that my head is spinning.

One blog suggested the following which is SUPER EXPENSIVE!

AnyDVDHD, TMPGEnc Mastering Works 5, Sony Vegas Video (yikes!), Sony DVD Architect (yikes!).

========================

I really haven't been doing anything with Blu-ray. My collection of DVDs are not blu-ray and my TV set is circa 2003 anyway (55inch LCD Sony Wega). So if this helps.

What would you suggest as software that is low-cost and very effective at allowing me to edit out content (language and/or excessively violent scenes or nudity) so I can be comfortable playing the videos for my guests?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Latest dvdfab 9.1.3.1 claim to have a new trimmer/editor.

New: Added “Trim” feature for DVD Ripper, Blu-ray Ripper and Video Converter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick.

I did contact them since I already had one of their packages and am waiting for a reply.

Meanwhile, my searches brought up posts that DVDFab was not the way to go due to "nickle and dime you to death.".
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is no different than cutting commercials from recorded TV programs. Find editor appropriate for the format and snip away, or define jumps over the undesired bits. My software choices are antique so I won't recommend anything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My question is all about "finding" the appropriate editor. That's why I'm asking for help.

I don't just want to snip out parts. I would like to simply MUTE out offensive one-word parts, perhaps blur out other parts, perhaps cut out others.

The more I can keep in the movie the better.

Just like to know what some find to be really good at doing this without costing an arm and a leg or requiring a degree in rocket engineering.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Movies are edited for TV, and they do a brilliant job. But, they have the resources and forethought to do that. They even overdub the voice to say something non-offensive. If you've never seen the original, you wouldn't know the difference.

I'm not sure how you could accomplish the same, at home, with cheap tools, without ruining the viewing experience. You're probably considering openly covering up certain scenes with a fuzzy overlay? And muffling the voices?

Most of the people here consider editing as a work of art, and find the whole idea of censorship in the same category as getting your palm slapped by a nun with a ruler for chewing gum in class.

But I would still recommend Sony Movie Studio. It has all the tools you need. You might be able to simply reverse the audio playback on certain words or phrases and it would sound similar to the original, but unintelligible.

And yes, you can pixelate using a mask as needed.

Last edited by budwzr; 8th Mar 2014 at 16:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The f-word is there to get a PG rating. They're not doing "Nemo", and don't want a G rating. G ratings = boring.

Anyway, I answered your question. Get Sony Movie Studio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    You have been advised of the two main programs you need, or at least, two possibilities. AnyDVD to break encryption, and Sony Movie Studio for your editing tasks. With these, you should be able to rework the movies as you choose, though it will take a bit of time to learn the Sony program.

I generally rip the entire movie to the hard drive and work from there. To access the built-in ripper within AnyDVD, right click on the fox icon at the bottom right of your screen and click on Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk.
    Quote Quote  
  9. As for DVD, there is one way to do some "censoring" for some screening time, you can use VOB2mpeg, get mpg out of your DVD, load it into DVD authoring like DVDLabPro. Maybe just loading VOB's into DVDLab would be ok, but that is not certain. Create two chapters around "bad word, scene" and just right click that chapter point and choose "skip next chapter". Compile VIDEO_TS or burn that DVD. This way you still have original playing but edited.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @rixtertrader:

Take it easy, you're in the right place alright. A couple guys needled you a bit and you're ready to give up?

Cutting is easy, DVDFab or for that matter, even the old DVDShrink can do it.

Anything more than that gets difficult. How much effort do you want to put into this?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can do whatever you want, as far as I am concerned, but it will be time-consuming. Although I know of free or low-cost tools that would allow you do what you want with a DVD, it will take considerable time to learn to use them, and more time to process each movie. How much time are you willing to spend on this?

I know it won't be fast because I edit out commercials by hand in TV shows I recorded using a DVD recorder. It takes me about 3 hours to process 2 hours of video and put it back on a DVD, but TV commercials are much easier to find than what you want to remove, and I have had lots of practice. You will have to copy the video and audio to your hdd and prepare it for editing. You will have to watch/listen to the movie to find the offensive parts to be able to edit the video or audio. Finally you will have to re-author your edited video to a DVD. You may also have do additional processing that I don't do, for example, re-encode the video so some movies fit on a regular DVD-R, so you don't have to buy DVD+R DL discs at about $1 each.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Mar 2014 at 17:39. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  12. rixtertrader, I tried to send you a private message, but you're set to block them.

In that PM, I was just going to reassure you that there IS VideoHELP on this board, but sometimes posts attract the attention of those who are more interested in VideoFLAME. Stay calm and ignore them.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please stay on topic and just discuss how you can edit/mute parts of the movie. Not why.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Rip with DVD Fab (free version). Convert to MPG with VOB2MPG (free, no loss of quality) -- sometimes you can skip this step. Edit with Mpg2Cut2 (free, no loss of quality, only keyframe accurate though). If you need DVD use the authoring tool of your choice. I rarely make DVDs but when I do I use an old copy of Ulead DVD MovieFactory to author to a VIDEO_TS folder, then ImgBurn (free) to burn a DVD. There are free DVD authoring tools.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    rixtertrader, I tried to send you a private message, but you're set to block them.

In that PM, I was just going to reassure you that there IS VideoHELP on this board, but sometimes posts attract the attention of those who are more interested in VideoFLAME. Stay calm and ignore them.
    Sorry CobraPilot.

I had it enabled originally, but then disabled it and tried to just get rid of the whole account. It was pretty discouraging the responses I received.

However, a post ended up going through to my email which I assume was made just before I disabled everything, and so that is why I came here to respond and saw your post.

THANK YOU!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    As for DVD, there is one way to do some "censoring" for some screening time, you can use VOB2mpeg, get mpg out of your DVD, load it into DVD authoring like DVDLabPro. Maybe just loading VOB's into DVDLab would be ok, but that is not certain. Create two chapters around "bad word, scene" and just right click that chapter point and choose "skip next chapter". Compile VIDEO_TS or burn that DVD. This way you still have original playing but edited.
    Thanks Al.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    You have been advised of the two main programs you need, or at least, two possibilities. AnyDVD to break encryption, and Sony Movie Studio for your editing tasks. With these, you should be able to rework the movies as you choose, though it will take a bit of time to learn the Sony program.

I generally rip the entire movie to the hard drive and work from there. To access the built-in ripper within AnyDVD, right click on the fox icon at the bottom right of your screen and click on Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk.
    Yes, I expect to rip the movie to the hard drive before doing anything to it.

In the past I've used programs such as (I think it was called Decrypted or something like that) that made VOB files. I've also used my DVDFab Platinum program to create MP4 files.

So starting with the RIPPING part, what format would I be wanting to rip to for the purpose of editing off my hard drive?

If VOB, then would any free DVD to VOB do the job as opposed to AnyDVD (assuming that ripping is all that this program would be used for and it is over a hundred bucks)?

Sony is out of the question. That program costs nearly $500! Ouch. That's serious stuff.

Thanks for comment.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    @rixtertrader:

Take it easy, you're in the right place alright. A couple guys needled you a bit and you're ready to give up?

Cutting is easy, DVDFab or for that matter, even the old DVDShrink can do it.

Anything more than that gets difficult. How much effort do you want to put into this?

Sorry.

It's just that I've been to other forums (visit) and they seemed to be more on providing suggestions and not trying to push their personal philosophies or agendas down my throat. So since today was the very first time I came here and decided to actually register, the initial responses seemed I made a big mistake.

I'm familiar with DVDShrink (a couple years back).

Effort is not a problem for me. Keeping the cost reasonable is.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Rip with DVD Fab (free version). Convert to MPG with VOB2MPG (free, no loss of quality) -- sometimes you can skip this step. Edit with Mpg2Cut2 (free, no loss of quality, only keyframe accurate though). If you need DVD use the authoring tool of your choice. I rarely make DVDs but when I do I use an old copy of Ulead DVD MovieFactory to author to a VIDEO_TS folder, then ImgBurn (free) to burn a DVD. There are free DVD authoring tools.
    Mpg2Cut2 - This might be the ticket for snip and cut. Thanks.

My DVDFab Platinum can rip to different formats so I might be covered on the ripping end.

And I have old apps that would take various formats and convert to DVD format. I also have ImgBurn.

So if what I need to do is going to take more than 1-2 programs, I'm good there I suppose.

The editing part (between the ripping and the sewing it all back together again) is where I really need to focus on to achieve my goal. I'd prefer to MUTE some sections rather than cut/snip them out, and other sections cut/snip out (which Mpg2Cut2 I suppose will do).

I'm surprised that many of these steps requiring several programs has not been condensed down to just one or two programs tops other than buying the super expensive stuff.

Appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You can do whatever you want, as far as I am concerned, but it will be time-consuming. Although I know of free or low-cost tools that would allow you do what you want with a DVD, it will take considerable time to learn to use them, and more time to process each movie. How much time are you willing to spend on this?

I know it won't be fast because I edit out commercials by hand in TV shows I recorded using a DVD recorder. It takes me about 3 hours to process 2 hours of video and put it back on a DVD, but TV commercials are much easier to find than what you want to remove, and I have had lots of practice. You will have to copy the video and audio to your hdd and prepare it for editing. You will have to watch/listen to the movie to find the offensive parts to be able to edit the video or audio. Finally you will have to re-author your edited video to a DVD. You may also have do additional processing that I don't do, for example, re-encode the video so some movies fit on a regular DVD-R, so you don't have to buy DVD+R DL discs at about $1 each.
    Hello UQ,

I did not even think about going straight from DVD to DVD. I expect to have to RIP the DVD to my hard drive into some type of format in order to edit. What that format is right now I'm not sure. So many to choose from. Ripping DVDs is something I'm comfortable doing. There are also videos I've already ripped using DVDFab Platinum for my media center. These DVDs are in my personal collection, but some contain a part or word (or two) I'd be happier not to have there. Once in awhile I watch a movie and out of nowhere comes the F-Bomb (PG-13) while my young daughter is sitting next to me. So yes, I'll be previewing these ahead of time to edit (I've heard every word and seen many things in 55 years but would rather my daughter stay innocent a little bit longer.)

Also, it isn't something I will be doing regularly or in quantity. Not every movie I care to watch more than once.

Much of what I've done with ripping and putting back together again was with free (or cheap) software years ago and was just wondering if there was a better way to do this today.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    WOW!!!

I don't just want to snip out parts. I would like to simply MUTE out offensive one-word parts, perhaps blur out other parts, perhaps cut out others.
    You did not state this in your first post, you just said,
    I'm interested in REMOVING offensive material from some of my DVDs as well as MP4 files
    Not the same thing.

Everything I am seeing is doing what you said you do not want to do!

If you want to cut out "offensive" words, or mute them you aregoing to have to demux the elementary streams, audio, video, then either bleep out the "offensive" words or mute them in an audio editor, that is after converting them to a usable format depending on what audio editor you use, but not cutting them out as the audio will be off from that point on, then remuxing them, converting them to the format you want, etc etc etc.

You will NOT do what you want with some one click wonder software.

Then you want to "BLUR" out other parts ?!?!
    LOL!!!

Your best bet is just to not buy or watch the movie!!!
    Otherwise you have a long road ahead of you!!!

Or just do what the first responses said to do, just cut the scene out and you are done.
    But that could lead to things not making sense with missing content.

Good luck!!!
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    WOW!!!

You did not state this in your first post, you just said,
    I'm interested in REMOVING offensive material from some of my DVDs as well as MP4 files
    Not the same thing.

Everything I am seeing is doing what you said you do not want to do!

If you want to cut out "offensive" words, or mute them you aregoing to have to demux the elementary streams, audio, video, then either bleep out the "offensive" words or mute them in an audio editor, that is after converting them to a usable format depending on what audio editor you use, but not cutting them out as the audio will be off from that point on, then remuxing them, converting them to the format you want, etc etc etc.

You will NOT do what you want with some one click wonder software.

Then you want to "BLUR" out other parts ?!?!
    LOL!!!

Your best bet is just to not buy or watch the movie!!!
    Otherwise you have a long road ahead of you!!!

Or just do what the first responses said to do, just cut the scene out and you are done.
    But that could lead to things not making sense with missing content.

Good luck!!!
    LOL!!

See, I do need help. LOL! I don't even know how to ask the right question!

The question was asked because I don't know all my options. Not as strange as you would think.

Okay, so to 'mute' some parts I would need to remove the audio and then mute (don't want to bleep) and then put it back? Okay, that's something I did not know.

And what Audio editor (hopefully free or really cheap)? Thus, what format?

The AUDIO is the most important part for me. 99% of the movies I've seen (PG-13) are not objectionable to me visually, just a word or two. So if I had to chose between a video edit and an audio edit, I would like to AUDIO edit my movies.

Can we go from there?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rixtertrader View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Hello UQ,

I did not even think about going straight from DVD to DVD. I expect to have to RIP the DVD to my hard drive into some type of format in order to edit. What that format is right now I'm not sure. So many to choose from. Ripping DVDs is something I'm comfortable doing. There are also videos I've already ripped using DVDFab Platinum for my media center. These DVDs are in my personal collection, but some contain a part or word (or two) I'd be happier not to have there. Once in awhile I watch a movie and out of nowhere comes the F-Bomb (PG-13) while my young daughter is sitting next to me. So yes, I'll be previewing these ahead of time to edit (I've heard every word and seen many things in 55 years but would rather my daughter stay innocent a little bit longer.)

Also, it isn't something I will be doing regularly or in quantity. Not every movie I care to watch more than once.

Much of what I've done with ripping and putting back together again was with free (or cheap) software years ago and was just wondering if there was a better way to do this today.

Thanks.
    You have already been given advice on ripping, as well as converting the ripped DVD files on your HDD to mpg. Mpg2Cut2 can snip and cut but only on GOP boundaries. There is also a $19 program, MPEG-VCR which will allow you to cut anywhere. I haven't needed to mute anything, but think you could use Audacity to mute audio. Audacity only works with demultiplexed audio files, not mpg files. You can demultiplex the .mpg with MPEG-VCR without editing, or after you have edited it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This sounds like what I need then.

I've downloaded the MPEG-VCR program and will play with it.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I like the suggestion to use Vob2MPEG and MPEG2Cut2. Both are free. And as noted, there are free DVD authoring programs to get your edited MPEG2 into the correct structure for a standalone player to recognize it as DVD-Video.

Muting and blurring are going to be a whole lot more difficult and laborious.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you rip the disc and end up with vob files you could convert them to mpeg (vob2mpeg) I would use Womble as an editor. You can mute the sound selectively between "splits" and even filter the image with blur effects etc etc. http://www.womble.com/ The final censored file could then be either played as is in a suitable media player or authored into a DVD again. It does remind me of a similar situation in an English comedy program where Benny Hill said in a loud voice as the naughty bits came up "more tea vicar" so that the visiting maiden aunt wouldn't hear... LOL
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  27. Get Vegas Movie Studio, the $40 one, not the $600 one.

Import your ripped vobs
    Place them on a timeline
    make sure "ignore event grouping" is selected
    Play down to the offending audio
    place cuts around the parts you want to delete
    delete
    find a nearby piece of background sound that matches the general background
    match frame to the source
    mark in
    edit the clean background into the hole -- or slow mo the audio on the heads or tails to fill
    add dissolves at the cuts if necessary to smooth it out
    Rinse and repeat

Here, the word "cape" is removed. Note the crowd walla and music sounds continuous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chap.png
Views:	114
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	23975
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by smrpix; 8th Mar 2014 at 22:53.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by rixtertrader View Post
    The AUDIO is the most important part for me. 99% of the movies I've seen (PG-13) are not objectionable to me visually, just a word or two. So if I had to chose between a video edit and an audio edit, I would like to AUDIO edit my movies.

Can we go from there?
    I missed this earlier, sorry.

The suggestion netmask56 made will certainly work. I'm familiar with Womble's MPEG Video Wizard. (Other editors can do the job too, of course.)

You can drop the volume anywhere on the sound line for however long is necessary.
    Under Image Filters, there is an image blur filter.

If you're going to go to the trouble of learning to use Womble, you might as well learn how to blur as well as mute.

I'm glad you're not deterred, but you have your work cut out.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    forget it, others have already beat me to it.
    Quote Quote