VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm an experienced still photographer with years of doing studio model photography and local newspaper photography under my belt and I want to up my game with video. I had an old HV20 which died recently and I've also shot video with my D800, and I'll be buying a new higher-end camcorder sometime this year.

In the meantime I'm looking for classes, courses and workshops in video. But I have a good day job so these would have to be evenings and weekends. I'm especially interested in composition and framing, use of sliders, dollies and similar gear, sound recording, postproduction, and maybe a good workshop or course in documentary filmmaking.

I live in eastern Massachusetts and there's a ton of schools around here including several with degree-granting filmmaking programs. But they all seem to be for day-students. I was surprised that the New England School of Photography (NESOP), where I've taken excellent evening programs in studio lighting, fashion, figure, and other topics doesn't seem to offer much.

I feel like living in a large metropolitan, cosmopolitan area like this, there must be something around here but I'm not looking in the right place. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't you have a community college? Here in Oregon the community colleges have night classes. Photoshop and video classes. If that isn't available then use on-line classes. Lots of those available. http://www.Lynda.com is one of the best.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Don't you have a community college? Here in Oregon the community colleges have night classes. Photoshop and video classes. If that isn't available then use on-line classes. Lots of those available. http://www.Lynda.com is one of the best.
    We have an excellent local community college with wonderful evening programs in things like nursing, veterinary medicine, and a whole bunch of business and management topics. But I don't see any media/video production classes in their evening program.

Lynda doesn't seem to offer any classes; just video tutorials.

Over the last 20 years I've taken lots of excellent classes in still photography, involving studio work, composition, photojournalism, lighting, dance, fashion, and figure photography so I've experienced the benefits of actual classes: Getting assignments and valuable feedback from professional instructors, interacting with and sharing ideas and critiques with the other students, and getting hands-on experience with professional equipment and studio gear. You don't get those things with a canned video tutorial.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Everything you've learned about photography also applies to video. The difference is tools used and standards video needs to conform to. There is tons of information online about framing, video dollies, color grading, editing, effects etc......

I'm self-taught on every aspect of photography and videography, so I can't help you with schools.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote