VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone - first time posting. A real head banger problem here; hope someone can lend a clue.

I shot 35 MTS video clips of Jungle Islands 10th anniversary celebration with a SONY Camcorder (HDR-CX7) on a malfunctioning chip that I thought was repaired during formatting. (I can't believe I was dumb enough to trust it.)

Up close precious clips of almost every animal you can think of (baby kangaroo in mama's pouch, baby chimp reaching for my camera lens, etc.) but when I attempted to make a full movie from them using SONY Vegas Platinum I got a nice surprise. Only two out of the 35 MTS files will open - the rest come back with a 'Missing Header Info' warning. Every program I try to open them with gives the same error message. The data is all there, just that the Header Info is missing.

I do have two clips that work, however, from the shoot and was thinking there should be a way to clone the Header Info from one of them to the others.

Anyone ever hear of this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Many sony camcorders, including yours, have a repair image database function accessed through the menu. You'll have to go to the manual for specific instructions. Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, tried that, unfortunately the malfunctioning chip wouldn't allow it to work and when I transferred the data to a working chip the process ran but for some reason that feature isn't powerful enough to clone new Header Info. Many thanks for your idea though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for a program that can write Header Info for .MTS files (AVCHD) that were accidentally written without it.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe try tsmuxer and see if it can read anything. THen output a new mts.

Or maybe can video repair tool($$) fix the video. But I'm not sure how well it handles mts...but you can always try the trial.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you sure that your problem related to headers only? And, not related to damaged video stream.
    How specifically pin-point do you determine that header is messed up, but not, video stream?

As far as I know there are many issues, not just a single one, related to header like...
    Reordering of Pics,
    Missing Reference Picture,
    Reference Count,
    Slice Header,
    and so on.....

Have you figured out which one of above few mentioned is causing problem?

My head is already started spinning.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It is possible to patch header(s). But without knowing stream properly, it is more like Shooting into the Dark.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried the muxer prog and unfortunately it can't open the clips without the header info which it's my understanding provides the necessary info about the clip that these programs need to open them. I do have two working clips from the same batch but so far haven't found a program that can use them to perhaps clone essential data followed by final tweaking such as video length, etc.

The stream is intact as the main body of data was written, but all advanced programs give the same message: 'Missing Header Info'. Trying to find a program that can (not necessarily open them but can) analyze the data from the clips and write the appropriate Header but likely such a stand alone prog doesn't exist.

Might try the video repair tool next. These (35 clips - two working) were from the SONY Handicam and not sure if contacting SONY about the problem is even such a good idea.

Thanks everyone for your input!
    Quote Quote